Author Topic: Would you accept these reproduction Carlite etchings?  (Read 1602 times)

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Would you accept these reproduction Carlite etchings?
« on: June 21, 2018, 05:50:40 PM »
The Carlite logo is roughly half the size of the original.  I am being told by the company that sold these to me that they have 'sold 100's' and never had a complaint.  (Note that in the 2nd pic, the calipers would not stay in place, although that is the actual measurement)

« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 05:53:48 PM by CharlesTurner »
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Would you accept these reproduction Carlite etchings?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2018, 07:58:15 PM »
What company ? One more thing to worry about . I had the disgusting decision to make along with our friend Jeff while judging at the Mid America Shelby nationals in Tulsa to deduct for the odd Dalmatian pattern for lack of a better description that the glass takes on in certain lighting. It looks normal but in certain light has the splotchy tinted Dalmatian spots . I got read the riot act by the restorer who complained he didn't get a deduction for it at SAAC concours. I told him it wasn't seen at that venue because of different lighting conditions. The spots looked hideous.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline TLea

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2018, 08:53:02 PM »
I’ll let Charles post company name
Bob, agree on spots, biggest reason I try to not use repop glass. Wasn’t that Div 1 car?  Re-pop glass will never fly there
Tim Lea  Shelby concours judge MCA, SAAC, Mid America

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2018, 08:57:39 PM »
I have an original Carlite windshield out of a 68, 'for reference'.
The Carlite oval is 0.770 wide.
Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2018, 09:59:14 PM »
I've got a couple dozen pieces of original 65-68 glass here and none had that small logo.  I thought maybe it was changed or something, but then checked late '68 glass and they all have the larger logo.

The company wasn't OEM Auto Glass or ECS, so I'll leave it at that.  The company agreed to re-apply the stencils, but they want me to pay for shipping both ways($200 each way).  Not a way to treat a customer for your own mistake.  Like I told them, just because the standards of other customers are low does not mean I have to change my standards. 
« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 10:01:15 PM by CharlesTurner »

Offline rodster

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2018, 11:04:10 PM »
What company ? One more thing to worry about . I had the disgusting decision to make along with our friend Jeff while judging at the Mid America Shelby nationals in Tulsa to deduct for the odd Dalmatian pattern for lack of a better description that the glass takes on in certain lighting. It looks normal but in certain light has the splotchy tinted Dalmatian spots . I got read the riot act by the restorer who complained he didn't get a deduction for it at SAAC concours. I told him it wasn't seen at that venue because of different lighting conditions. The spots looked hideous.

A bit off topic but was curious what causes this?  I've seen it on my original Fox body glass.  Something different in the post 60's manufacturing process?

The spots are only a judging issue on Div 1 cars right?
1965 Dearborn Mustang Coupe
Raven Black - Palomino Pony
1967 Dearborn Mustang Conv.
Wimbeldon White - Red
1984 SVO - 2A

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2018, 11:11:09 PM »
It most likely is due to the manufacturing process/methods used at the time.  Maybe even the chemical properties of the glass.

I would only consider this a Div 1 item.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2018, 12:37:46 AM »
I’ll let Charles post company name
Bob, agree on spots, biggest reason I try to not use repop glass. Wasn’t that Div 1 car?  Re-pop glass will never fly there
Tim,1 of the DIV I cars (which looked the worst) had the repro glass which was a no brainer as far as a deduction . The other car was DIV II and had the splotchy glass which was given a minor deduction. Charles I liken the situation to deducting for the poor version of the one piece export brace compared to the better made version.I would hate to give a poor repro a pass and dismiss the guy that goes the extra mile and uses his original glass all other things being equal.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 12:40:13 AM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Coralsnake

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2018, 12:15:27 PM »
I think CT is correct....

I was told the dalmation or tiger stripes are caused by the tempering process. A lot of the glass comes from South America.

As for the size of the orb, some vendors will do a custom template for the etchings. They are done on the computer and it cuts the template. Like everything else, if 99 people dont complain and you are the 1% that does....
« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 12:19:23 PM by Coralsnake »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2018, 02:52:01 PM »
The spots are only a judging issue on Div 1 cars right?

Spots we're in original glass and how the cars were originally delivered so my opinion is no, if noticed there would be a note and likely a deduction.  Pretty certain that this would be the general feeling and opinion of my fellow judges
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)