Author Topic: Vent Window Pivot  (Read 2335 times)

Offline kutzoh

• Gold Level Subscriber
Vent Window Pivot
« on: November 15, 2011, 08:15:04 AM »
Curious as to how others have restored the chromed pivot that's attached to the stainless steel wing window frame. On my driver's side frame the pivot got removed (I had Qual-Krom re-chrome it) and it was a  pain to reattach it to the frame. I've been told that Paul's Chrome uses a process called Electro-less nickle and the frame and pivot are plated as one unit.

Is there any other way to address this that I've missed?

Thanks,

Greg
64.5 Dearborn coupe, D-Code, June 28, 1964   Skylight Blue

Offline jwc66k

Re: Vent Window Pivot
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2011, 12:15:31 PM »
I'm faced with the same problem on a pair of 66 frames. I've seen 67 frames that had the pivot reattached by some small studs and nuts but the nuts interferred with the glass. The solution was to remove some glass by bead blasting a notch.
It appears there is another product that need to be designed and sold. Brant?
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2011, 12:17:55 PM »
Qual-Krom has done these for me in the past without removing them.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline kutzoh

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2011, 12:59:03 PM »
Thanks Charles, getting ready to send Bob the vent window frame now, I'll give him a call and include the frame w/pivot as well.

Greg
64.5 Dearborn coupe, D-Code, June 28, 1964   Skylight Blue

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2011, 01:36:08 PM »
Thanks Charles, getting ready to send Bob the vent window frame now, I'll give him a call and include the frame w/pivot as well.

Tell him to take extra care around the stainless where the pivot is.  Had some that had a few sanding scratches.  It's meticulous work, but can be done.

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2011, 04:11:00 PM »
Qual-Krom has done these for me in the past without removing them.
Charles,
 Do you have an idea what they did? I would like to give my local shop an idea on technique.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2011, 07:14:42 PM »
I think they just sanded the chrome off and dipped the piece.  Then sanded/buffed the stainless afterwards.  I don't know all the ins and outs of chrome plating, but guessing it doesn't stick to stainless?

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2011, 08:18:19 PM »
I've got a batch of 'to be chromed' I'm getting ready to send out so I may as well ask about the frames. As I said, the plater removed the pivot and did it seperate before (several years back) so I don't know what they will do now.
Jim

Offline Murf

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2011, 10:55:33 AM »
I had some plated a few years ago and they first buffed and polished the stainless part that surrounds the glass, then masked off that part with a metal masking tape and applied the chrome plate to the pivot.  I saw  the masking tape and had to remove some fragments of the tape before putting in the rubber and the glass.  The edges of the pivot were not as good as if it had been removed but that was the method used the shop at that time.  The cost then was about $100.00 for the left and right frames which included a beautiful job on the stainless surround. 
John Murphy

1965 "K" GT fastback Honey Gold exterior, Ivy Green and White Pony interior, many options
1966 Conv., high option, removeable hardtop, thermactor "C" engine, AC, Springtime Yellow exterior, Black Pony interior
1968 California Special, "J" code, ,many options, white with red interior