Author Topic: 68 SJ Rear Seatbelt Mounting Sealer  (Read 716 times)

Offline TonyH

68 SJ Rear Seatbelt Mounting Sealer
« on: July 01, 2019, 07:09:09 AM »
Does anyone have a good replacement product for the sealant around the rear seat belt anchor bolts on a early 1968 San Jose build?  Assembly Manual calls out a 0.19 diameter application of ESB-M2032-A black or grey sealer.

v/r
Tony
« Last Edit: July 01, 2019, 02:58:25 PM by J_Speegle »
Tony

Driven San Jose 2/23/68 8R02S1427XX
Lime Gold GT Fastback

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: 68 SJ Rear Seatbelt Mounting Sealer
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2019, 10:03:39 AM »
Does anyone have a good replacement product for the sealant around the rear seat belt anchor bolts on a early 1968 San Jose build?  Assembly Manual calls out a 0.19 diameter application of ESB-M2032-A black or grey sealer.

v/r
Tony
One alternative is Black fibered roofing repair mastic .It is a asphalt based product. It will give a similar appearance to the product the factory used. Do not substitute with the silicone stuff because it lays out too smooth and shiny. I typically buy it in the caulking tube although it comes in cans. Using the caulk gun you can apply as much as needed. I then use a 2 inch disposable bush to apply you also may need something like mineral spirits to help smooth it out.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2019, 02:58:17 PM by J_Speegle »
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline TonyH

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2019, 01:55:48 PM »
Thanks Bob.  It definitely looks asphalt-based. 

My car had about a 1/2" donut around each bolt hole on the interior.  Not sure if that was original since previous owners had thrown together a bunch of random hardware for the rear belts.

v/r
Tony
« Last Edit: July 01, 2019, 02:58:05 PM by J_Speegle »
Tony

Lime Gold GT Fastback

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2019, 02:57:56 PM »
Have used a black DAP roofing/chalking product for years. You want the final product to look pretty smooth (without grit) when finished

Same stuff applied to the trunk drop pinch weld and the floor to rocker seam. And only on the inner seat belt reinforcement mounts

« Last Edit: July 01, 2019, 03:01:07 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline TonyH

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2019, 04:06:59 PM »
Perfect...thanks Jeff.  What I had on the interior definitely did not look like that.  It was really glommed on thick, probably 1/4" deep in a 1/2" radius around the red washers and bolt holes.  But then again, none of the hardware was correct either.

v/r
Tony
Tony

Lime Gold GT Fastback

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2019, 04:45:56 PM »
Perfect...thanks Jeff.  What I had on the interior definitely did not look like that.  It was really glommed on thick, probably 1/4" deep in a 1/2" radius around the red washers and bolt holes.  But then again, none of the hardware was correct either.

Top and bottom are much much different things.  Typically nothing applied at the interior at the seat belt anchors unless the guy sealing along some of the panel edges got lost/off target with the spray seam sealer

Also - seems that you have the assembly manuals - please dont' copy what ford engineers and ford wanted to be done as far as sealers and sound deadeners on the pages we have in print. Instead use real cars built at the same plant and time for reference

Example is a convertible if your wondering why this picture may not look exactly like yours 
« Last Edit: July 01, 2019, 04:56:29 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline TonyH

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2019, 09:59:18 PM »
Thanks for the pics Jeff.  That looks nothing like what I had on the interior side.  Must have been a previous owner trying to stop the rattling coming from the incorrect hardware that was installed.  It really did look like gobs of seam sealer piled up intentionally around the bolts.

v/r
Tony
Tony

Lime Gold GT Fastback