Author Topic: restoring a distributor: how to remove long bearing ??  (Read 1345 times)

Offline mhubert89

restoring a distributor: how to remove long bearing ??
« on: June 02, 2015, 04:14:12 PM »
hi ,

i am restoring my distributor on my 289. I almost done , just need to remove the long bearing inside the distributor..did someone have a tip to remove it !?

thanks
Mustang Fastback 1968
289, 4 speed
Built in Dearborn on April 16th

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: restoring a distributor: how to remove long bearing ??
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2015, 09:17:47 PM »
Not sure if there are any tricks to it - going to require a press I believe. Never did one myself - always left that to the dist guy :)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline markb0729

• South Jersey
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2015, 11:52:48 PM »
I spoke to Dan Nolan at Mustang Barn regarding this very topic.  He rebuilds distributors (and has a working Sun machine) but said a DIY technique would be to use a cutting tool such as a small file to cut small channels in the sleeve and remove it in small sections.  I didn't get into asking him about installing the new bearing sleeve but I was under the impression that he has installed them.
65 Dearborn Built Fastback
Approximate Build Date, September 2, 1964
289 4V, C4, PS, PB, No A/C

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2015, 12:29:57 AM »
I spoke to Dan Nolan at Mustang Barn regarding this very topic.  He rebuilds distributors (and has a working Sun machine) but said a DIY technique would be to use a cutting tool such as a small file to cut small channels in the sleeve and remove it in small sections.  I didn't get into asking him about installing the new bearing sleeve but I was under the impression that he has installed them.

I have installed these before a couple of times (many years ago) I did use a press and I had used another distributor shaft as a pilot tool (not wishing to risk damaging/bending the shaft I intended to use)
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline mhubert89

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2015, 10:25:39 AM »
yes seen to be hard to remove ! over here i dont have a dist guy !! i tried to rebuilt a use one but i am stock to this bushing !!
Mustang Fastback 1968
289, 4 speed
Built in Dearborn on April 16th