Author Topic: NOS Upper and Lower Ball Joint Boots  (Read 219 times)

Offline plowhorse

NOS Upper and Lower Ball Joint Boots
« on: March 15, 2024, 11:34:35 PM »
WTB NOS C7OZ-3105-B and C7OZ-3105-A
Upper and Lower Ball Joint Boots
Not happy with the Carpenter repros

Offline plowhorse

Re: NOS Upper and Lower Ball Joint Boots
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2024, 02:06:30 PM »
Sorry, I think the NOS numbers should be C70A.
C7OZ are the repro numbers

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2024, 05:50:37 PM »
Sorry, I think the NOS numbers should be C70A.
C7OZ are the repro numbers
Ford part numbers with a letter in the fourth position, the "A" in C7OA (and it is the letter "O", not a "0", zero, in the third position) indicated the engineering department responsibility, in this case, "A" indicates "Body engineering. The letter "Z" indicates that the item is now the responsibility of Ford service ("Y" is Mercury service). NOS means "New Old Stock", an acronym for service parts. Many vendors/sellers of aftermarket items use the Ford number to identify their parts, and you are correct in that many aftermarket parts are not really that good.
The letter "O" in the third position indicated that the item was originally designed for Fairlanes/Torinos. A Mustang designed item will have a "Z" in the third position. This leads to some confusion as a service part number for a Mustang will have "ZZ" (double "Z's") in the third and fourth position.
Confused? It's a learning process.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline plowhorse

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2024, 12:29:32 PM »
Wow yes I see I have a lot to learn in this game.
Finished the restoration of our 66 GT 350 last year. The restored control arms (with the aftermarket ball joints) had been sitting on the shelf in the shop for a few years before I got around to installing them. After about 50 miles of driving the lower boots are failing badly.
I've been told the C4 boots are almost impossible to find, so trying to find my best option for replacing the boots but keeping the car somewhat original at a reasonable cost.
Thanks!

Offline outlawincorporated

• Kangaroo Herder
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2024, 07:37:21 PM »
PLOWHORSE

the C40A- upper ball joint boot by itself is going to be extremely tough to find.  it took me many years to find one let alone two NOS examples.
the only other option is to buy/locate NOS ball joints which again is a very tough ask and very costly.

C7 examples are a little more easier to find but arent correct for 65/66 cars if your going the concours direction.
image attached of a NOS C40A boot

regards

PHILL BERESFORD
MELBOURNE.
AUSTRALIA.
ITS ONLY EVER ORIGINAL ONCE!!!!!

MCA GOLD CARD JUDGE 1ST GENERATION.  MCA #68589

Offline outlawincorporated

• Kangaroo Herder
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2024, 07:41:48 PM »
Image attached of the correct NOS 65/66 upper ball joints