Author Topic: Convertible top frame sides to header fit?  (Read 1531 times)

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Convertible top frame sides to header fit?
« on: January 11, 2015, 12:20:08 AM »
Finishing up the restoration of a convertible top frame for a '65.  Had everything apart and of course did not take any pics.  It's a miracle that I have it all back together now.  Just curious if anyone has any reference pics or notes of the spacing of the front header panel where it fits to the frame sides.  It's easy to slide it all the way forward, but I found what I thought were marks on the frame and put it back there.  About a half inch or so of spacing.

Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline TLea

• Global Moderator
Re: Convertible top frame sides to header fit?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2015, 09:21:04 AM »
I definately varies based on car fit (hence the reason for adjustment) I have in my notes to start with 7/16" spacing
Tim Lea  Shelby concours judge MCA, SAAC, Mid America

Offline Oz390

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2015, 03:11:24 AM »
Found reference to setting the header to get a 0.018" (about 3/16") gap between the rear edge of the header and stainless trim.  This dimension is the critical one to get the weather-strip to seal when latched. (detail shown in '65 thru '67 FAMs)
8R03S : 76A I 2A 15M 72 5 U
8R01S : 65A B 2A 28M 72 7 5 - Factory GT
8R01C : 65A M 2A 01E 72 2 W - Cal Special
8F01X : 65A I 2A 2G 20E 24 1 U - EXP500 repli-bute

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2015, 10:16:10 AM »
Thanks, will take a look at the assembly manual.  Top is on now, but have a big gap between header and windshield frame, big in the middle, tapers to ends.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Oz390

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2015, 06:20:34 PM »
I've seen this on a few frames.  Can't be sure, but expect it may be due to the header being slightly bent over time. As some seem to have it and some don't.

Instead of cranking down the hooks, which is not a great solution and can overstress the clamps and bend them, I added some "backing" under the lip of the seal in the middle. Cut a piece of foam strip to a shape slightly thicker in the middle, tapering to very thin at the ends and installed in to force the weather strip down a bit in the middle to compensate. 

Not correct, but short of trying to bend the header, which I was not keen on trying, the only way I could find to fix it...

And as from my experience not much with respect to tops that is visible (other than color and if its plastic or glass rear curtain) is really judged.   If the stuff as obvious as one can see crawling under cars and poking around in the engine bay to the extent judges do is not noted for tops/frames, this adaptation is almost sure to be passed over, and pretty hard to see unless you specifically look for it...

If you find a better solution would be interested in the fix you come up with.
8R03S : 76A I 2A 15M 72 5 U
8R01S : 65A B 2A 28M 72 7 5 - Factory GT
8R01C : 65A M 2A 01E 72 2 W - Cal Special
8F01X : 65A I 2A 2G 20E 24 1 U - EXP500 repli-bute