Author Topic: Repo door hinges  (Read 1264 times)

Offline machm1970

Repo door hinges
« on: February 09, 2015, 12:10:01 PM »
I need a passenger side upper door hinge. I'm leary about buying off e-bay because I can't tell if they're "Egged out" where the bushings go like mine. Are the repo's any good? I try to avoid repo's whenever possible, but I want a reliable part.

Thanks,

Matt 

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: Repo door hinges
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2015, 07:11:13 PM »
I personally would not go with repro.  How about welding up one that has been 'egged out' and re-bush?
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2015, 11:11:30 AM »
How about welding up one that has been 'egged out' and re-bush?

Charles, have you successfully had these hinges welded up and re-bushed?  I have several early '65-67 hinges, and I assumed that once the metal was oblong past a certain point (like what an oversized bushing could repair), that the hinges were junk since they're cast iron.  I've always heard that cast iron can be a nightmare to weld.

If you're talking about the stamped steel hinges--and I didn't see a model year listed in the original post--disregard this.   :)

Edit:  Just saw where the original poster's name had 1970 in it.  Disregard my post (though I am curious as to whether anyone has ever successfully welded a cast iron hinge).
Too much junk, too little time.

Offline MyRed66GT

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2015, 10:42:40 PM »
I bought a full set of NOS service replacements fairly reasonable. Had to get 'em one at a time. Maybe thats why price was so good.