Author Topic: 64-1/2 F code vin 260 v8 but I have a straight 6 in it with 4 lug all around  (Read 4616 times)

Offline MannyManz

My vin is 5F08F181831 it's suppose to be a 260 engine v8 and I have a straight 6 with 4 lug all around. I am doing a vin verification with the police dept now in NY. I redid the floors and the door has no door tag. The vin on the driver side is very rusty and rotted away and I can only see the 1813 in the vin but the passenger side I can read the whole vin. But I decoded it and I have all 64-1/2 front end and interior and doors but I am like why does this have a straight 6 4 lug all around. I need help. Any info?

Offline MannyManz

Here is the other vin

Offline MannyManz

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
It's possible that everything could have been swapped.  As strange as it may sound, I have heard of V8's being replaced with I6 engines.  Obviously not the norm, but it has happened.

Might be some clues to look for on the body to ID some V8 parts like suspension.  I noticed there is no seal on the radiator support.  Those were typically installed on 6 cyl cars, stapled on.

You could also look for date codes on the 6 cyl parts to see if they coincide with when the car was made.

My guess is the I6 parts were swapped in.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline DM_1964

You have horns mounted on the radiator support rather than inside the engine bay, what do your battery vents look like on your radiator support, there is a difference between 64 1/2 and 65.

Another check on top of what Charles's has mentioned with the date codes.
Regards,
Dom
64 1/2 Caspian Blue Convertible - Dearborn

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
I don't know 6cyl but did a 64.5 6cyl have the engine painted blue ?
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline DM_1964

I don't know 6cyl but did a 64.5 6cyl have the engine painted blue ?
From memory they were black with red rocker cover and air cleaner (U code), hopefully I've remembered correctly, picturing Bob Fria's coupe.
Regards,
Dom
64 1/2 Caspian Blue Convertible - Dearborn

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
From memory they were black with red rocker cover and air cleaner (U code), hopefully I've remembered correctly, picturing Bob Fria's coupe.
I thought that might support a 6cyl being transplanted into the 64.5 since one in picture is blue.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline MannyManz

It's a 64-1/2 I had the police verify the vin and nothing came up so it's clean. The hood has holes underneath and there are find by the battery. There is an A on the vent knob. The bumpers for the hood stop have a hole for a screw. It's a red and black engine. That date was red not blue. Um I'm going to check the engine numbers tmw.

Offline MannyManz

The bezel has gen not alt on it also.

Offline MannyManz

Front bucket lights are not angled

Offline ChrisV289

Is it possible the front half of the car was welded onto the back of a different car?  Maybe the original back half of the car was totaled and someone cut off the front half and welded to a car that was smashed in the front?  Just throwing that out there...
Chris
1965 Honey Gold Fastback (SJ 10/29/64)
1965 Caspian Blue Fastback (SJ 06/03/65)
2009 V6 Mustang Coupe

Offline MannyManz

I have no door tag so it's hard to get any other info on the car. I know my dad had 2 sets of interior red on red and black on black then I look inside the door it's blue and red over it with black over it. I bought new doors because someone cut out holes for speakers. The old floor was bad but didn't have cut outs on the seat purch. Tell me more is you can anyone. I think the front end was changed out cause the rear trunk lid is a 65 and I have to pull off the rear pixels to see if there is a channel Ugh this car

Offline MannyManz

Pics

Offline Turnall

My vin is 5F08F181831 it's suppose to be a 260 engine v8 and I have a straight 6 with 4 lug all around. I am doing a vin verification with the police dept now in NY. I redid the floors and the door has no door tag. The vin on the driver side is very rusty and rotted away and I can only see the 1813 in the vin

I cannot tell from your pictures and maybe it was a typo, but you do not have 1813 consecutively in the full vin you gave.  So if the rusted pictured does show 1813, it's not the same vin.

Allen