Author Topic: 65 Power steering pump  (Read 1719 times)

Offline DEWilson

• Maine Mustang Back from the Dead Restoration Shop
65 Power steering pump
« on: January 06, 2017, 08:04:20 PM »
HI i am working on a 65 hardtop san jose car with build date of Aug 12 1965 with a 289 2v  when clean up power steering pump I am finding that it is pump is paint the teal blue but the tank is painted black and is this correct

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 65 Power steering pump
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2017, 08:45:44 PM »
HI i am working on a 65 hardtop san jose car with build date of Aug 12 1965 with a 289 2v  when clean up power steering pump I am finding that it is pump is paint the teal blue but the tank is painted black and is this correct

Depends on who made the pump

Question #7 in the FAQs at the top of this (1964 1/2 - 1966) section ;)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline DEWilson

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2017, 10:01:58 PM »
 got know clue the tag is gone   so the uint can be done with both color  the pump paint sepperate in the teal with the tank being black then assembled together   all thought unit where paint all together as one assembly!
« Last Edit: January 06, 2017, 10:44:16 PM by DEWilson »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2017, 11:00:05 PM »
got know clue the tag is gone   so the uint can be done with both color  the pump paint sepperate in the teal with the tank being black then assembled together   all thought unit where paint all together as one assembly!

The tag is what tells us what color the pump was originally and it would ahve been attached to the back side and painted along with the assembly

The body and pump (mask on the snout where the pulley would be attached and the rear fitting) were painted the same color all at the same time

Have you checked to see if the 66 style up pump is original for your car?
Jeff Speegle

Offline DEWilson

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2017, 11:42:54 PM »
not sure jeff as this car has me  puzzied   it a date of aug 12 65  but has the early style quather ext that don't use ext seals thought used on the 64 1/2 called cars   but then the rear e-brake cable don't go over the rear frame between the floor pan   they run like what i thought was done in 66

so with the tag missing from the pump unit i looking like has been made up of two uint tank from one that was paint black and the pump unit that was a teal paint unit ,so as what correct one for the car  not sure where to start     

Offline rodster

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2017, 12:49:10 AM »
Depends on who made the pump

Question #7 in the FAQs at the top of this (1964 1/2 - 1966) section ;)

Forgot about the FAQs, always following new posts or searching, thanks for the reminder.  ;)

Is this the 'F' mentioned on the tag?  If so, the pump on my 65 Dearborn car looks like it is black and no signs of blue?
1965 Dearborn Mustang Coupe
Raven Black - Palomino Pony
1967 Dearborn Mustang Conv.
Wimbeldon White - Red
1984 SVO - 2A

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2017, 01:07:14 AM »
Forgot about the FAQs, always following new posts or searching, thanks for the reminder.  ;)

Is this the 'F' mentioned on the tag?  If so, the pump on my 65 Dearborn car looks like it is black and no signs of blue?

Yes that is the designator that Ford told the service workers, mechanics and managers to look for and the color

Guess there is a chance that the pump had been  sent in to be rebuilt at some point and repainted

Guess you have AC given the pump body.

Looked through pictures and really don't have allot of very very late 65 Dearborn cars to compare for when the change over in pumps took place

Jeff Speegle

Offline rodster

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2017, 01:15:57 AM »
Thanks for the info Jeff.

Yes, factory A/C car and history of the pump is unknown so rebuild and repaint is possible.

I'll carefully look for clues when I remove and clean up the pump.

Rod
1965 Dearborn Mustang Coupe
Raven Black - Palomino Pony
1967 Dearborn Mustang Conv.
Wimbeldon White - Red
1984 SVO - 2A

Offline DEWilson

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2017, 05:59:16 PM »
is there any cast number on the pump that tell if it a ford or a trw punp is there any differantance  between ford or trw tank  is there any pic of the two differant unit so i can figure out what one i have

Offline DEWilson

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2017, 10:33:29 PM »
thanks for the inputs i have it all figured out on what i needed to get correct