Author Topic: 69 Fuel filler  (Read 1529 times)

Offline 69GT350H

• 1 of 10 Hertz Rentals from Miami Int Airport
    • RedsHost is my private forum and photo gallery site
69 Fuel filler
« on: May 11, 2018, 11:31:56 PM »
When AO Smith replaced the tail light panel, did they do anything special to the fuel filler or filler hose? I have searched but found nothing that talks about it, and as the license plate holder is normally in the way, you do not see photos of it. Did they re-use the same sheet metal looking screws that were used on the original filler?

Also, it is possible that I do not have the original rubber hose that goes between the filler and the tank, as the one that came with the car is an inch or two longer than the one I purchased from NPD, which states it has the length of 4 3/4" and is smooth rubber which looks to be more like the one I have. There is also a Scott Drake version and is being listed as being 6" long with stripes, but a search here seems to indicate the "cloth" type texture is incorrect and may be more correct for San Jose built cars.
Accurate looking but not a Concours Restoration/build. See my build photo gallery at 69GT350 Hertz Build

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: 69 Fuel filler
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2018, 12:30:26 AM »
When AO Smith replaced the tail light panel, did they do anything special to the fuel filler or filler hose? I have searched but found nothing that talks about it, and as the license plate holder is normally in the way, you do not see photos of it. Did they re-use the same sheet metal looking screws that were used on the original filler?

Also, it is possible that I do not have the original rubber hose that goes between the filler and the tank, as the one that came with the car is an inch or two longer than the one I purchased from NPD, which states it has the length of 4 3/4" and is smooth rubber which looks to be more like the one I have. There is also a Scott Drake version and is being listed as being 6" long with stripes, but a search here seems to indicate the "cloth" type texture is incorrect and may be more correct for San Jose built cars.
Your hose is too long .It must have been changed. Same factory screws to hold the filler neck in place.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 69GT350H

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2018, 12:45:12 AM »
Your hose is too long .It must have been changed. Same factory screws to hold the filler neck in place.

Thanks Bob, figured the rubber hose was wrong but you never know. I'm surprised they used the same screws for the filler that was originally in the metal taillight panel, and put them into the "fiberglass" panel.
Accurate looking but not a Concours Restoration/build. See my build photo gallery at 69GT350 Hertz Build

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2018, 02:03:27 AM »
Thanks Bob, figured the rubber hose was wrong but you never know. I'm surprised they used the same screws for the filler that was originally in the metal taillight panel, and put them into the "fiberglass" panel.
That is because they go through the fiberglass Shelby tail panel just like they did into the metal tail panel previously.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2018, 01:02:36 PM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 69GT350H

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2018, 03:35:35 AM »
That is because they go through the fiberglass Shelby tail panel and into the remnants of the metal tail panel like they did previously.

Remnants of the metal?  :o

http://redshost.com/gt350/imgpages/image043.html
http://redshost.com/gt350/imgpages/image044.html

???

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2018, 01:06:36 PM »
Remnants of the metal?  :o

http://redshost.com/gt350/imgpages/image043.html
http://redshost.com/gt350/imgpages/image044.html

???
Sorry ,up to late I guess . I meant they went in just like they did in the metal tail panel . Mostly likely they had spares just like what was called for on the assemblyline in case any got lost. Probably a similar situation for the rear valance.

Offline 69GT350H

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2018, 05:43:09 PM »
Sorry ,up to late I guess . I meant they went in just like they did in the metal tail panel . Mostly likely they had spares just like what was called for on the assemblyline in case any got lost. Probably a similar situation for the rear valance.

No problem, I was up late as well. Hence the photos (links to) with the back of the car rusted off.  :-)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2018, 06:24:58 PM »

think the threads that you have found were focusing on 65-66 or at least early cars at San Jose. Be careful at mixing years together when doing your research.

Here are three pictures of 69 Dearborn filler necks. Two from Shelby's and one from a Mustang that I hope help in some way

Last Picture removed
« Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 02:43:23 AM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)