Author Topic: Removal of undercoating - Any advice?  (Read 2206 times)

Offline Morsel

Removal of undercoating - Any advice?
« on: March 02, 2018, 02:20:12 PM »
Well, I'm about to start the horrible job of removing all the undercoating from the rear end of my car. We did the front end up to the beginning of the transmission tunnel when we did the front end. So I'm wondering what people have had luck using and their processes. I've read some crazy things, but it might just be what's needed.

Basically the car is on jack stands and everything has basically been removed from the car except the transmission (which probably will be coming out as well). So now it's time to start the awful job of sitting on my back and doing it. Looking for advice, I'll be using a plastic scraper at first just to get some of the easy chunks off and see what's under the undercoating, but what type of solvents or other processes have people used to really clean it well?

I have a feeling it will be going into the body shop and getting repainted in the end no matter what, or at least some major touch ups because of the frame rail straightening they are going to be doing anyway, so it will probably just get a fresh coat unless my original redox is prime condition...

Thanks,

Jason
February 10th 1966 - San Jose - Factory GT K-Code Automatic, Candy Apple Red Fastback, Black Standard Interior

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: Removal of undercoating - Any advice?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2018, 02:45:36 PM »
Seems like I remember this being discussed before.  Some of the methods... WD-40, solvents, simple green, kerosene, gasoline...
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2018, 05:05:52 PM »
Add to the list of tools to use: screwdriver; scraper; wire brush; chisel. It ain't easy.
DO NOT USE ACETONE. It's deadly.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline KevinK

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2018, 07:12:12 PM »
If you stay away from the solvents, you might want to try a heat gun and a stiff scraper. I have not tried it.
MCA #33800, Gold Card 3rd Gen
BAMA Member
67 Coupe, 69 Coupe, 74 Coupe, 84 SVO, 84 GT Turbo, 86 GT, 88 McLaren, 89 LX Sport, 03 Mach 1, 07 GT500, 14 GT/CS

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2018, 08:29:40 PM »
If you wish to leave this planet early be sure to use gasoline. Gasoline liquid doesn't blow up -- but the vapors make big, big boom.

With any solvent product make sure you have lots of ventilation and don't do this in a shop with any spark or flame source near the ground, where the vapors collect. You wonder why gas hot water heaters are raised off of the floor?

A good way to remove the large chunks is with a heat gun and a plastic scraper. If you use a metal scrapper you can remove the floor primer underneath. Remove as much as you can with the heat.

I've used lacquer thinner and rags on the remainder using two box fans, nitrile gloves, respirator and a water container into which I place used rags.

If you want to try a less nasty smelling way, Citristrip will remove thin layers of undercoat. It does require a water rinse.

Finally, if you really want to go aggressive, I've actually used a grinder with a knotted wire brush. It really slings the goobers around and you need to be dressed like you are working with grunge -- you are.

Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion

Offline Morsel

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2018, 08:44:27 PM »
Thanks everyone for the responses, it's going to be a messy job and take a while, but someones got to do it, I guess that's me... I'll let you know what I uncover and what works best as the process goes on...

Thanks,

Jason
February 10th 1966 - San Jose - Factory GT K-Code Automatic, Candy Apple Red Fastback, Black Standard Interior

Online 67gta289

John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline 91saleen26

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2018, 11:10:43 PM »
I use a map gas torch and then a plastic scraper. Then a nylon brush to ooosen everything up and a microfiber cloth. Works really nice.

Offline jmlay

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2018, 12:57:06 PM »
Be cautious as old undercoating may contail asbestos!!!
Mike

1969 Mach1 428 CJ Ram Air
San Jose
Scheduled Build: 1/2/1969
Actual Build: 1/3/1969
Released: 1/8/1969

Offline Morsel

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2018, 04:21:31 PM »

Thanks for the warning, be wearing a mask for sure and long sleeves anyway, haha.

Thanks,

Jason

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2018, 06:19:39 PM »

Sound deadener from the 60's does
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Fvike

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2018, 07:16:49 AM »
A late reply here, but perhaps to use for someone anyway...

I soaked the undercoating in petroleum-based degreaser to soften it up, then used a larger heater to warm up the area I wanted to work on. The undercoating came of easy with a scrape. Huge bulks of it would come loose. After that, I washed away the leftover stuff with degreaser and a rag.

This very time-consuming method left a very clean, and if you're careful, undamaged surface. I did get some scrapes in the wheel wells because of the tool I was using, and the curved panels. But features like the factory body dolly marks are clearly visible.

Offline 1969 Cale II

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2018, 11:28:25 PM »
Wow, look at all that paint detail hidden under all that gunk