Author Topic: Removing firewall sealant  (Read 1429 times)

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
Removing firewall sealant
« on: April 10, 2018, 06:44:10 PM »
I know a lot of you are applying the black sludgy-like material on the firewall as a sealant.  Does anyone have a good way to strip the factory stuff off of grommets, wires, and other items?  I run across this stuff quite a bit and it is a true pain to remove, if I can.  Liberal amounts of lacquer thinner and elbow grease can get some of it, but not all.  Any other suggestions?

Does anyone know for sure what the stuff was that Ford applied/used?
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Removing firewall sealant
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2018, 06:52:59 PM »

"For sure"?

If San Jose in 67 used what Ford specified then it was ESB-M2G43-A. Described in different areas of the manuals as an "adhesive" and in others "black sealant"

Consider that lacquer thinner can remove the stripes/markings on the wires. At for me it does
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2018, 07:04:48 PM »
I know a lot of you are applying the black sludgy-like material on the firewall as a sealant.  Does anyone have a good way to strip the factory stuff off of grommets, wires, and other items?  I run across this stuff quite a bit and it is a true pain to remove, if I can.  Liberal amounts of lacquer thinner and elbow grease can get some of it, but not all.  Any other suggestions?

I have used Kerosene in the past because it is less evasive on wire markings and will not swell rubber like the lacquer thinner does.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2018, 09:00:59 PM »

"For sure"?

If San Jose in 67 used what Ford specified then it was ESB-M2G43-A. Described in different areas of the manuals as an "adhesive" and in others "black sealant"

Consider that lacquer thinner can remove the stripes/markings on the wires. At for me it does
I've heard that LT removes stripes on wires over and over again.  Yes, there are some very specific wires that it does: fuel lines, fusible link wires and any rubberized wires that are painted.  I've been using LT for 10 years to clean wires and only aftermarket or repro wire stripes go away.  Really never had a problem with original Ford wires except those that I mention. 

Kerosene, eh?  Hmmm...
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline preaction

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2018, 02:09:57 AM »
Try Goo be Gone it removes many  things and leaves the wire stripes. Its a great appearance rejuvenator.
8F02R218047-  July 18 1968   Dearborn

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2018, 12:47:47 PM »
I have used Kerosene in the past because it is less evasive on wire markings and will not swell rubber like the lacquer thinner does.
A word of caution: using kerosene leaves an oily film. It can be wiped off and further eliminated with a soapy spray.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2018, 01:56:41 PM »
Denatured alcohol also works well to remove gunk from wires.
It works especially well on the connectors to remove the grime in the grooves of multi-pin connectors. A Q-tip will remove gunk between pins and around the base of wires at the connector. This stuff evaporates really quick!

I've also found some Dremel wire wheel kits on Amazon that offer cone, wheel and 1/4" round brush styles. The round brush style can go into the female connectors and clean them up.
Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion