Author Topic: 64 HiPo - 67 Shelby Hipo Air Cleaner Base  (Read 5355 times)

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
64 HiPo - 67 Shelby Hipo Air Cleaner Base
« on: May 10, 2018, 02:17:11 PM »
Edit to remove Mannel pic and (to retain author's copyright). Added a CCM pic.

I have an air cleaner base plate which is evidently incorrect for my 67 GT350.
The 64 Hipo and early 65 non-emission base evidently has no nipples at all, just two indentations where a small and large nipple would go.
I have this base. It does not have a date stamp.

NOT MY BASE, but appears to be identical to what I have:

The 67 base is [on edit] supposed to have only a small nipple.
I plan on purchasing a Drake reproduction of this air cleaner as it supposed to be almost dead on correct. Opinions?
I understand the 67 GT350 non-emission install would have a rubber cap and spring clamp. Please note my car's build date in my sig if this is another early, middle, late Ford/SA issue.

Was the 'C' base ever reproduced? If so, is there a way to determine if original or reproduction -- is there a detail or weight difference?

I keep hearing about 5A bases but don't hear much about other dates. How many (date) runs were there in 65 ? I gather the 67 base would also have a date and should be 7A (or earlier for my car) if there was a batch done in that time frame.

So many details for such a small part!
« Last Edit: May 11, 2018, 01:16:32 PM by Bossbill »
Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: 64 HiPo - 67 Shelby Hipo Air Cleaner Base
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2018, 10:26:46 PM »
I have an air cleaner base plate which is evidently incorrect for my 67 GT350.
The 64 Hipo and early 65 non-emission base is shown in pic C.
I have this base. It does not have a date stamp.

The 67 base is shown as [partial] pic D.
I plan on purchasing a Drake reproduction of this air cleaner as it supposed to be almost dead on correct. Opinions?
I understand the 67 GT350 non-emission install would have a rubber cap and spring clamp. Please note my car's build date in my sig if this is another early, middle, late Ford/SA issue.

Was the 'C' base ever reproduced? If so, is there a way to determine if original or reproduction -- is there a detail or weight difference?

I keep hearing about 5A bases but don't hear much about other dates. How many (date) runs were there in 65 ? I gather the 67 base would also have a date and should be 7A (or earlier for my car) if there was a batch done in that time frame.

So many details for such a small part!
Nether style is assemblyline correct for your 67 GT350 regardless of if putting a cap on it or not . They will function as needed but not look right . The Base you need instead of the larger nipple has what looks like a round disc with a 1/8 nipple coming out of the center and four spot welds around the washer . There is a picture in the book however I don't have access to one right now to help direct you to it. 
« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 11:25:52 PM by J_Speegle »
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2018, 11:12:41 PM »
...................... The Base you need instead of the larger nipple has what looks like a round disc with a 1/8 nipple coming out of the center and four spot welds around the washer . There is a picture in the book however I don't have access to one right now to help direct you to it.

This the one your referring to? :) Probably should be posting scans from someone work without written permission.    ::) Just to keep us out of trouble with the author and inline with the forum rules

Have pictures of a 7C dated base with the large nipple wonder if that is for a 67 K code with Thermactor

++++++++++++

Bossbill I suppose you saw these other threads

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=16363.msg102428#msg102428

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=6591.msg48632#msg48632
« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 11:26:01 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2018, 01:06:20 AM »
This the one your referring to? :) Probably should be posting scans from someone work without written permission.    ::) Just to keep us out of trouble with the author and inline with the forum rules

Have pictures of a 7C dated base with the large nipple wonder if that is for a 67 K code with Thermactor

++++++++++++

Bossbill I suppose you saw these other threads

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=16363.msg102428#msg102428

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=6591.msg48632#msg48632
Yes that is the one for open emission. The big nipple version is typically used for closed emission as in thermactor.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Bossbill

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2018, 01:19:51 PM »
Thanks for the pics Jeff and the verfication of what I need Bob. Edited my post to remove Mannel pic and use concoursmustang.com pic. Did a slight edit too.

The link to the saacforum.com thread on how to identify a repop is gone.
Do I need to post a closeup of mine -- but what area determines if it's real or a repop?
Bill

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2018, 06:02:01 PM »
I have never seen or heard of a proper 67 GT350 air cleaner base being reproduced. Heck they can't even get the hipo tops right. Close but no cigar. disappointing the the aftermarket can't get it closer.

Offline Bossbill

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2018, 12:29:24 AM »
Finally got back home.

Here is pic of the base that was on my car-- is it a real 64/early 65 or repop:
It is 14 1/8" in diameter. It weighs 1.25 pounds. Do you need any other dimensions?
The car and air cleaner have been in my possession for well over 30 years.

Air Filter Side

Carb Side

Hard to tell the Air Filter Side from the Carb Side.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2018, 01:12:26 AM by Bossbill »
Bill

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2018, 02:16:54 AM »
Finally got back home.

Here is pic of the base that was on my car-- is it a real 64/early 65 or repop:
It is 14 1/8" in diameter. It weighs 1.25 pounds. Do you need any other dimensions?
The car and air cleaner have been in my possession for well over 30 years.

Air Filter Side

Carb Side

Hard to tell the Air Filter Side from the Carb Side.
It is easy to tell if it has a date code in it because the repros don't have date codes. Not so easy to tell if it doesn't have a date code because some original base plates did not have date codes ether. Some of the open emission repro bases only have a single dimple which could be a tell . The typical repro closed emission base has two dimples ,one of which has the large nipple crimped into the center. I haven't kept up with all of the repro versions to know if there is a repro open emission style that has the duel dimples like your picture or not.