Author Topic: Trunk Lid Internal Rust Removal  (Read 884 times)

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
Trunk Lid Internal Rust Removal
« on: July 19, 2018, 01:24:59 PM »
I thought I would share what I was doing to address internal rust on the trunk deck lid of my project. As mentioned in the video, this particular trunk lid and the hood I plan to use, are not the original ones to my car and perhaps that explains why I had considerable amounts of rust when I went to strip the decklid & hood.(since the car otherwise was overall almost rust-free). FWIW, Both hoods and trunks can be addressed in this manner if needed. Junkyard parts with no history have their "Hidden Issues" ;)

After removing all of the paint, for this example, I used a cut off wheel and opened up the Leading Edge of the trunk lid underneath where the molding will be. This will make it easier for welding it closed later after all of the rust is removed.

Using two cardboard boxes, I taped together a box that would fit snug around the Leading Edge of the deck lid. I  inlaid the boxes with two layers of heavy plastic. I then put about 9 gallons of Rust 911 inside to dip about 4 in deep.

A little more of what I'm talking about can be found here at this YouTube video link
« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 01:36:18 PM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments