Author Topic: Using a Floor Jack to Lift My Mustang  (Read 1819 times)

Offline 68GTFastback

Using a Floor Jack to Lift My Mustang
« on: July 25, 2018, 09:54:17 PM »
I want to use a floor jack w/round plate to jack the front of my 68 big block, so that both wheels/ tires can be removed. What is the safest way to do this? Car has power steering.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2018, 05:42:58 PM by J_Speegle »

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
Re: Using Floor Jack
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2018, 10:01:06 PM »
My advice is to use two quality jackstands instead of the floor jack.  I suspect you want to use the floor jack to raise the car enough for jackstands.  If so, I use the frame rails forward of the tire area and the jack stands go on the frame rail just behind the firewall (or vice-versa if you can get your floor jack far enough inside).
Never, ever, work with just a floor jack.
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2018, 10:31:24 PM »
Use the floor jack to get the car up in the air.  I use the engine crossmember for this purpose.  Then as Midlife instructed use the jack stands at the strut braces (pictured) or the frame rails/torque box.  Loosen the lug nuts before the front tires are entirely off the ground.  Brian
« Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 12:58:31 PM by Brian Conway »
5RO9A GT  4 Spd Built 5/29/65
9TO2R SCJ 4 Spd Built 9/19/68
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2018, 02:04:45 PM »
It is VERY EASY to damage your frame rails, easier than you might think. Find a SAFE way to USE WOOD BLOCKS to prevent damage. FWIW, I would NEVER (again) jack a Classic Mustang the ways I did for years and years, not since I had to repair this damage and much more like this on the front frame rails and areas forwards of the rear leaf springs, all of the places that I USED to use regularly before owning a Car Lift. Apparently, every time I jacked the car, I must have done more damage...and for the most part, I never realized just how much!

Use the floor jack to get the car up in the air.  I use the engine crossmember for this purpose.  ...

Personally, I would not do this (anymore, like I used to) either...but it is a way to raise the car!
« Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 02:10:19 PM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2018, 06:45:17 PM »
I should not assume everyone knows this so I am offering some more input on the subject.  You need to have some kind of buffer between the metal cup/head of the jack and the metal underside of the car regardless of if wood , rubber , carpet etc. . This is most important on a car you car about . There are countless different rubber product accessories for your jack to keep it from marring the metal surface under your car.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline lancelot66

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2018, 06:54:33 PM »
There a comment on this forum a while back about using hockey pucks. I haven't tried this yet, as I've always used cut blocks of 2 x 4's or 2 x 6's. May have to make a run and try the pucks, especially since I've had to crawl around under the car lately...
VR/
-Lance

SJ Build Date: 1/6
'66 Fstbk: 63A M 25 06A 71 1 6
Many Original Options

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2018, 07:10:33 PM »
I use 8x8 metal plates w/ a piece of cardboard as a buffer.  Brian
5RO9A GT  4 Spd Built 5/29/65
9TO2R SCJ 4 Spd Built 9/19/68
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2018, 10:02:17 PM »
There a comment on this forum a while back about using hockey pucks. I haven't tried this yet, as I've always used cut blocks of 2 x 4's or 2 x 6's. May have to make a run and try the pucks, especially since I've had to crawl around under the car lately...
I think the hockey puck observation was not to a actual hockey puck but a similar looking device made out of Delrin plastic or other equally hard plastic material that has a slit across the middle so as to fit the pinch weld section of the rocker securely as a lifting point in the same way (although more securely ) the factory jack is supposed to lift the car. They look like a typical hockey puck although I didn't check for official puck dimensions. I haven't used mine yet but am confident they will perform as advertised.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline OldGuy

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2018, 10:36:09 PM »
I definitely would NOT position the jack stands under the frame near the firewall (reply #1)! With the weight of a big block cantilevering out in front of the jack stands you would essentially have MOST of the weight of the car rocking on the jack stands crushing the frame rails in the process. Position the jacks stands as Brian suggested (reply #2). He has the right idea.

Frank

Offline Josep

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2018, 03:52:53 AM »
I use 8x8 metal plates w/ a piece of cardboard as a buffer.  Brian

+1 on that but I use directly wood chunks between the jack stands and the car.

Josep
1966 Mustang Hardtop 200 Inline 6 - Arcadian Blue - C4 - Thermactor - 6R07T213966 - San Jose projected build date June 11th 1966 - DSO 71
1966 Mustang Convertible 289-2V - Vintage Burgundy - AT PS DB - 6F08C109403 - Dearborn projected build date September 9th 1965 - DSO 36

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2018, 05:42:28 PM »
+1 on that but I use directly wood chunks between the jack stands and the car.

I've purchased the soft rubber (hockey puck) for my floor jack that fits into the round metal saddle and the similar product for the jack stands. Have used wood blocks or carpet scrapes on wood blocks in decades past
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)