Author Topic: New guy with general question - Go easy!  (Read 857 times)

Offline Bsbeck

New guy with general question - Go easy!
« on: September 07, 2018, 10:33:40 AM »
I dont think your going to find an “easy” button. There is no master list.

The good news is Cougars and Mustangs were built in the same plants and many of the parts are the same.

I think the hood hinges are phosphated, but its best to confirm that with a 1970 guy and someone who knows the plant.

Where was you car built?
« Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 01:39:59 PM by Coralsnake »

Offline Coralsnake

• Global Moderator
Re: New guy with general question - Go easy!
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2018, 01:00:40 PM »
Sorry, it appears I erased your original post by accident. Please repost it

Offline Bsbeck

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2018, 02:44:05 PM »
No problem.  Here's the original post...

First of all I want to say this is a wonderful site.  I'm a 1970 Cougar Eliminator owner and I wish we had this kind of site.  I've been reading through articles on your site to help with information on restoring my car.  What I want to know is how can I use the info on your site to know what color a part is supposed to be painted?  Like what color should hood hinges be or the vacuum canister?  Do you have a master parts list that tells the color for every part?

My car is a...
1970 Mercury Cougar Eliminator
Built at Dearborn on Oct 2, 1969
351C, FMX, PS, PB, Competition Suspension
Competition Blue with Black Comfortweave seats

Offline Bsbeck

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2018, 11:48:54 PM »
Any help truly appreciated.

Offline BKnapp

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2018, 12:20:10 AM »
Unfortunately, due plant and supplier differences, not to mention running changes through model years, a master list would be nearly impossible. There are resources in the forum “Library” that can help, but the search function might be your best option.
Bill

‘67 390 Coupe A/T  P/S  P/B. (Built 1/4/1967)  7R01S145xxx
‘67 390 FB A/T P/S P/B (Built 3/10/1967) 7F02S173xxx
2007 Shelby GT500 40th Anniv.  Convert. #125

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2018, 10:29:14 PM »
First of all I want to say this is a wonderful site.  I'm a 1970 Cougar Eliminator owner and I wish we had this kind of site.  I've been reading through articles on your site to help with information on restoring my car.  What I want to know is how can I use the info on your site to know what color a part is supposed to be painted?  Like what color should hood hinges be or the vacuum canister?

Post questions in the appropriate section of the site - parts and assemblies that are the same as Mustang can be placed there. Parts and processes different (Cougar only) in the Cougar section

How to know what is painted what. Read through other threads askign the same questions, search the topi using different combinations of words, look through the unrestored section of the site (consider that hood hings in a 6 cylinder - for example Mustang are the same ones that would have been installed in your car) then finally ask for confirmation or for help. Always include "69 Oct built Dearborn car" in the request somewhere. It will likely be the first question (rather than an answer :( if you don't

Hinges and springs phosphate and oil

Vacuum canisters  semi-gloss black on the glossy side and then often covered all or part during the sound deadener application in the wheel wells

Do you have a master parts list that tells the color for every part?

No would not be important to a parts counter guy just looking to find something that will work on a customers car and if it wasn't a trim or part that was important to the look at car it didn't need to look or even have the same finish ten or more years after production. Colors would be listed for many interior parts
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)