Author Topic: Heater hoses  (Read 7419 times)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Heater hoses
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2015, 01:26:07 AM »
Ran across this in the Jan 67 MPC.  We know that the MPC is known to be incorrect on occasion.  But then again it is correct most of the time.

This does not rule out anything, and observations of a gaggle of unrestored vehicles will continue to be the best source of truth.

Well at least it suggest that red striped hose is what the dealers had on their shelves for replacements

Did you run across the listing for the curved/formed hose also ;)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2015, 01:54:18 AM »
Well at least it suggest that red striped hose is what the dealers had on their shelves for replacements

Did you run across the listing for the curved/formed hose also ;)
+1 . the 100 foot roll of bulk hose doesn't necessarily mean that it was used always on the assemblyline. It just means as Jeff said it was the type that Ford parts departments had for sale by the foot back in the day.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2015, 08:37:21 AM »
That makes sense.  But then I wonder about on the assembly line also.  Did the assembly plant get the hose in bulk or pre-cut? 

I could see a side job for someone taking that same bulk line and cutting it to lengths in batches for the various applications.   I would think that if they had a supplier provide them cut to length, that would have called for multiple part numbers for tracking and ordering purposes, and those part numbers don't show up in the MPC.  That said, the purpose of the MPC is for replacement parts, not to document every part used in assembly (refer to attached pics.)  So did Ford use bulk at the assembly plant?  Who knows.

Another thought was that Ford was being tricky.  Use white/yellow at the factory, make red available to dealers.  Aftermarket would have neither.  Then if there is a warranty claim they could tell the origin of the hose from the stripe.  I know that is my brain working too hard.

As is typical, and has been stated many times, original unrestored cars is what we need to be on the look out for, and document well.

Jeff, yes I did see the curves hoses and corresponding part numbers.
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2015, 10:57:09 AM »
That makes sense.  But then I wonder about on the assembly line also.  Did the assembly plant get the hose in bulk or pre-cut? 

I could see a side job for someone taking that same bulk line and cutting it to lengths in batches for the various applications.   I would think that if they had a supplier provide them cut to length, that would have called for multiple part numbers for tracking and ordering purposes, and those part numbers don't show up in the MPC.  That said, the purpose of the MPC is for replacement parts, not to document every part used in assembly (refer to attached pics.)  So did Ford use bulk at the assembly plant?  Who knows.

Another thought was that Ford was being tricky.  Use white/yellow at the factory, make red available to dealers.  Aftermarket would have neither.  Then if there is a warranty claim they could tell the origin of the hose from the stripe.  I know that is my brain working too hard.

As is typical, and has been stated many times, original unrestored cars is what we need to be on the look out for, and document well.

There have been many instances where lunch pail parts, smuggled parts etc. have been procured from the Detroit area. Some of those parts were bundles of precut white hose. That was decades ago . Ron Charney RIP was  one  of the locals that went to swap meets and yard sales in that area and found things like that. I'm sure BP got a lot of stuff from him back in the day too. I have one or two pairs of those left in my stash. From those numerous finds my convidence level is very high in believing that the hose was delivered precut to the lines . Of course somewhere someone had to cut the bulk but I don't think it was on the line.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2015, 12:04:12 PM »
Bob, thanks for the info.  Yes Ron is missed.

I still hit Dearborn and surrounding area garage and estate sales for this type of stuff.  Still score but not as often as in the 80's. 
John
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline mikeljgt500kr

• 1964 1/2 K code coupe and 2022 GT500 HE
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2015, 01:02:18 PM »
Anyone know why Marti still supplies the incorrect hoses for a '67?
I don't always downshift, but when I do it is near a Prius so they can hear me hurting the environment.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2015, 05:34:46 PM »

Incorrect in what way?

It's been my experience that Kevin normally uses Ford documentation with some input from others in determining what he offers
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2015, 07:13:57 PM »
67 could be white ,red or yellow depending on time period and plant . I think he sells all 3 doesn't he?

Offline mikeljgt500kr

• 1964 1/2 K code coupe and 2022 GT500 HE
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2015, 09:43:09 PM »
I think I was told mine needs red striped (or reddish orange as you put it Bob), (April '67 S code, Jersey) and all he had was white and yellow ones.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 09:47:38 PM by mikeljgt500kr »
I don't always downshift, but when I do it is near a Prius so they can hear me hurting the environment.

Offline PerkinsRestoration

« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2015, 11:53:25 PM »
There have been many instances where lunch pail parts, smuggled parts etc. have been procured from the Detroit area. Some of those parts were bundles of precut white hose. That was decades ago . Ron Charney RIP was  one  of the locals that went to swap meets and yard sales in that area and found things like that. I'm sure BP got a lot of stuff from him back in the day too. I have one or two pairs of those left in my stash. From those numerous finds my convidence level is very high in believing that the hose was delivered precut to the lines . Of course somewhere someone had to cut the bulk but I don't think it was on the line.

Bob, I agree the heater hose was sent to assembly plants pre cut. The 69-73 assembly line hoses had the engineering number and pre cut length inked on the hoses. The early 69 Boss 429 and Boss 302 heater hose were exceptions for several reasons. I did get a lot of cool parts from Ron and and his pal Pat.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2015, 12:26:22 AM »
The hoses were the only thing that I ever got from Ron that didn't have a orange "OBSOLETE" sticker on it like he put on everything  ;D It must have fallen off. ;)

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2020, 08:51:26 AM »
There is a post referenced below that discussed red-striped hoses found on a GT500 owned since 1970.  I've included pictures here for easy reference, hope that is ok.

https://www.vintage-mustang.com/threads/1967-289-w-ac-san-jose-correct-heater-hose-strip-color.1163918/#post-10347902
John
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline RoyceP

« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2020, 10:54:32 AM »
Look at the bottom of those pages and you will see the date it was last revised. The date shown indicates what the dealer had on the shelf as a replacement part on the MPC revision date, not what the assembly line workers used years earlier. It might be the same thing. Or not.

1968 W code 427 Cougar XR-7 GTE Feb 23 Dearborn C6 / 3.50 open
1968 R code 428CJ Cougar XR-7 May 13 Dearborn C6 / 3.91 T - Lock

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2020, 11:55:37 AM »
There is a post referenced below that discussed red-striped hoses found on a GT500 owned since 1970.  I've included pictures here for easy reference, hope that is ok.

https://www.vintage-mustang.com/threads/1967-289-w-ac-san-jose-correct-heater-hose-strip-color.1163918/#post-10347902
A lot of additional information needs to be added to have proper context for those reading if the the picture is to be used for referance. Since it was not mentioned other then in the link I will include that the red hose in the picture was reportedly found on a 67 GT500 . Other year Mustangs have different type and possibly color of hose depending on production year. In 67 for example white was used along with red and even yellow . In 67 at SJ I have found white used early and was probably the most seldom used in the rest of production . Red was used early and later and was the predominent color used throughout 67 production. Yellow seemed to be used in predominetly later production . Although yellow was used more then white it was used less then red. I am not sure why so many different colors were used. As a example of usage I found a white hose and a red hose both used on the same Oct built 67 Mustang.It was the luck of the draw that two different colors were used because both the same color was most typical. In 68 production red hose was used but evolved to having a date code included and repeated every so many inches.I have not found another color used in 68 production other then red .I would be interested if others have . Just what I have observered . Others may have seen different.