Author Topic: Wiring help, 2 or 3 speed motor  (Read 449 times)

Offline 65fastbk

Wiring help, 2 or 3 speed motor
« on: July 31, 2019, 12:55:54 PM »
Hi I have a May built SJ FB and was looking to get some new harnesses.  Im not sure if I have a 2 or 3 speed heater.  Im unsure about which speed wiper I have, is there a easy way to test.  I have attacked a picture of the wires going to the heater motor.

thx!

Online krelboyne

• West Coast Classic Cougars
Re: Wiring help, 2 or 3 speed motor
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2019, 02:05:38 PM »
Motors are all the same. Dependent upon your switch and the resistor.
Scott Behncke - Carcheaologist
West Coast Classic Cougars
503-463-1130
1968 GT/CS 302-4V San Jose 05B
1968 Cougar XR7 Dearborn 09A

Offline 65fastbk

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2019, 02:19:57 PM »
Thanks, so I should look inside at the heater box? 

Online jwc66k

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2019, 04:40:59 PM »
Motors are all the same.
The motor looks the same but is wired differently in the motor. Both have two leads to the main harness. The two speed has two internal windings, one for low speed, one for high speed. The two speed windings are also grounded at the motor. The three speed winding is not grounded at the motor.
I have a May built SJ FB and was looking to get some new harnesses.  Im not sure if I have a 2 or 3 speed heater.  Im unsure about which speed wiper I have, is there a easy way to test.  I have attacked a picture of the wires going to the heater motor.
The switch is different as well. Two speed switch is: low; off; high. The three speed is: off; low; medium; high. The heater box for a three speed has a resistor mounted very visible from under the RH dash, the two speed has no resistor.
I strongly suggest you get a set of Mustang Assembly Manuals for your 65 car. You will also need a 64-65 Chassis and a 64-65 Weld and Sealant to be complete.
Jim
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline 65fastbk

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2019, 04:58:18 PM »
Thank you I will take a look at the switch and heater box inside the car.  What should I look for regarding the wiper wiring?

Thx

Online jwc66k

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2019, 06:27:05 PM »
Thank you I will take a look at the switch and heater box inside the car.  What should I look for regarding the wiper wiring?
Back to the switch: a single speed wiper is one "click", a two speed wiper is two "clicks". A pull on either switch is the washer.
A May 65 Fastback looks like this.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline 65fastbk

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2019, 06:38:03 PM »
Thanks Jim,

I confirmed the heater is a 3 speed and washer is 1 speed, thanks for your help!