Author Topic: '65 Coil Date Code  (Read 10016 times)

Offline bryancobb

• Silver Level Subscriber
  • 2009 Ridn' Around
Re: '65 Coil Date Code
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2010, 08:15:28 PM »
MAN!!!!   That's a little short "squatty" thang!
66 Metuch Conv
Nightmist, Std Blu Int
6T08C223904    76A       K         22       15c     21      6        6
                      BODY  COLOR   TRIM    DATE   DSO   AXLE  XMSN
   C/O  785                                   (rotation #)
   16    C14   6T08C223904        (weld bay 16, bucked MAR 14)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2010, 08:33:19 PM »
The line up of the AUTOLITE and the rest of the boxes and such appears off in your artwork (just offering constructive input of course ;)

Unfortunately can't up load an original example and new art this moment
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Twilight65

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2010, 08:44:33 PM »
No problem Jeff. Thats why I made the artwork and then printed it on a clear plastic sheet to get it to match my original. I must of printed and cleaned that plastic sheet 20 times as I held it over the coil to get it to match. It may be off a little to another coil but it matched my original and that's what I was after.

Dave
65 Coupe Dearborn Scheduled Build July 9,1965 289/C4
66 Sprint Conv. Dearborn Scheduled Build May 13, 1966 200/C4

Offline mgmradio

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2010, 10:32:08 PM »
The lined aria around the date code on my Aug 64 coupe is different from the ones on your 66 stamp.Instead of being straight above and below the date they are curved.
Formerly the MCA ANHJ 64.5-66!

Offline ChrisV289

« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2015, 12:50:53 AM »
Sorry to bring a long dead article back but thinking about getting a stamp made for my coil.  Is Staples the best place to have this made and if so, what type of stamp as they have several to choose from:

http://www.staples.com/sbd/content/copyandprint/stamps.html

Thanks
Chris
Chris
1965 Honey Gold Fastback (SJ 10/29/64)
1965 Caspian Blue Fastback (SJ 06/03/65)
2009 V6 Mustang Coupe

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2015, 01:00:18 AM »
Sorry to bring a long dead article back but thinking about getting a stamp made for my coil.  Is Staples the best place to have this made and if so, what type of stamp as they have several to choose from:

Most likely they will refuse do to copywrite concerns. Heard a number of stories lately of guys getting refused based on that concern by the stamp making companies

Also would be concerned if they would not redo/substitute your fonts for "stock" fonts

As for what type of stamp it depends on hoe you plan to install/apply it and how you plan to "ink" the stamp.

You can choose to roll the stamp on the part (in this case a coil) or roll the part on the stamp. Placed or attached stationary while you move the coil over the stamp.

Haven't measured my coil stamps in a long time but see the post with those measurements - have you checked if they make them that large? And if so that might limit your choices going through them.

There are companies that make signs and such that make stamps
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 01:04:17 AM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline Texas Swede

« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2015, 08:13:26 AM »
On my car, an early May 65 GT350, the stamp is completely hidden behind the
mounting bracket when mounted in the original position.
Texas Swede

Offline Richard P.

« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2015, 02:12:19 PM »
Texas Swede
I've seen a number of early cars (1965/66) where the stamping was hidden behind the coil bracket. The MCA rules state that the stamping should be visible. This should be changed as that wasn't always the case.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2015, 04:44:12 PM »
I've seen a number of early cars (1965/66) where the stamping was hidden behind the coil bracket. The MCA rules state that the stamping should be visible. This should be changed as that wasn't always the case.

The wording might be tricky since, if the owner choose, mounting the clamp high on the coil would not hide the stamp. Wording would IMHO need to include where the clamp & coil  need to be orientated if the stamp is not going to be visible or your just giving all the owners a free pass  and not representing how the car were build.

Just a thought
Jeff Speegle

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2015, 05:47:06 PM »

Agree.  Should also not allow the decals, but that's another subject altogether.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2015, 05:49:13 PM »
agree with charles. we tried to eliminate the decal at the last judges meeting but was overruled by those in charge. it was decided to leave the stamping for t-bred only.
5F09C331248

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2015, 06:28:39 PM »
........ we tried to eliminate the decal at the last judges meeting but was overruled by those in charge. it was decided to leave the stamping for t-bred only.

::)  Remember when the body (the judges) use to vote on things and that was what got carried forward to the board for approval

Does not one good to hold the standard for restored cars so low that it allows things that were never used originally as a poor substitute for what was. And it no way allows owners who do it right any reward for their efforts

SOrry for getting off subject.
Jeff Speegle

Offline Richard P.

« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2015, 06:40:00 PM »
Texas Swede
If the coil bracket covered the stamping on cars like Texas Swede I can't see where we'd be giving him or anyone else a pass, if that's what Ford Motor Company did. We must remember we don't make the rules. The guidelines were made by Ford when they built those cars.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2015, 08:39:31 PM »
If the coil bracket covered the stamping on cars like Texas Swede I can't see where we'd be giving him or anyone else a pass, ......

Let me try and explain my comment better

If an owner chooses to mount their coil so that the band covers the top quarter (approximately) of the tube or side of the coil and the stamp as we know, was typically applied to the bottom 1/3-1/4 if the rules are not written carefully, could they not claim that the stamp is not missing but its "under the clamp" like the rules would apply.

Just a predictable situation IMHO.

Would rather see nothing instead of the clear decal with the 70 date code :)
Jeff Speegle

Offline Richard P.

« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2015, 09:15:10 PM »
Let me try and explain my comment better

If an owner chooses to mount their coil so that the band covers the top quarter (approximately) of the tube or side of the coil and the stamp as we know, was typically applied to the bottom 1/3-1/4 if the rules are not written carefully, could they not claim that the stamp is not missing but its "under the clamp" like the rules would apply.

Just a predictable situation IMHO.

Would rather see nothing instead of the clear decal with the 70 date code :)
I must agree with you, I'd rather see nothing than see something that's wrong. In a lot of cases you'll see nothing and that's the way it was.