Author Topic: 68 GT Door Speakers  (Read 16590 times)

Offline 68 S Code

Re: 68 GT Door Speakers
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2011, 12:21:12 AM »
Bob sorry for not refering to you as the closest Shelby expert on this forum. My bad. I don't know why the electrical schematic states that the AM/FM was mono but the shop manual does as well by saying AM/FM and AM/FM stereo units. Maybe that explains the radio connector difference between a 67 (two prong) and a 68 (three prong)?

Maybe you can answer this question. It sounds like some have said in this thread that they had 67's with door speakers. If the 67's had mono radios why would they have door speakers? Was 67 the first year for the AM/8 track stereo?

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2011, 12:42:50 AM »
Bob sorry for not refering to you as the closest Shelby expert on this forum. My bad. I don't know why the electrical schematic states that the AM/FM was mono but the shop manual does as well by saying AM/FM and AM/FM stereo units. Maybe that explains the radio connector difference between a 67 (two prong) and a 68 (three prong)?

Maybe you can answer this question. It sounds like some have said in this thread that they had 67's with door speakers. If the 67's had mono radios why would they have door speakers? Was 67 the first year for the AM/8 track stereo?
Closest Shelby expert??  I take it that was meant in a good way but there are other knowledgeable Shelby concours judges that we are lucky enough to have post on this forum ,Jeff,Tim and Pete just to name a few. I think Mustangs had a optional  AM 8 track in 66 too but not 100% sure. I don't think I am aware of any factory AM 8 track for a 67 Shelby that was factory installed only dealer installed ones but as far as Mustang is concerned I am sure there were a number that were so optioned. The 67 Mustang optioned with deluxe interior and AM 8 track would certainly get the speakers in the doors however the 67 AM FM would not because it was mono only. Bob
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2011, 12:53:28 AM »
Closest Shelby expert??  I take it that was meant in a good way but there are other knowledgeable Shelby concours judges that we are lucky enough to have post on this forum ,Jeff,Tim and Pete just to name a few. I think Mustangs had a optional  AM 8 track in 66 too but not 100% sure. I don't think I am aware of any factory AM 8 track for a 67 Shelby that was factory installed only dealer installed ones but as far as Mustang is concerned I am sure there were a number that were so optioned. The 67 Mustang optioned with deluxe interior and AM 8 track would certainly get the speakers in the doors however the 67 AM FM would not because it was mono only. Bob
+1
I have a club member friend that has a 67 coupe with standard interior that has a AM-8 track. It has door grills and speakers, no lights. Marty

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2011, 09:42:08 PM »

I believe the first stereo offered was in 1966 with AM/Tape Stereo.
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2011, 11:41:18 AM »
Well did a little checking last night and found that the Osborn Manuals shows that an AM/FM Stereo was planned for 68. Found reference to it near the back of the Chassis manual. So then went to the MPC and dug a little deeper and it doesn't show up. Looked for speakers and nothing shows up for door speakers until like 72 model so dont understand as 69 and 70's had door speakers. Odd thing is that the front dash speaker seams to be 5x7 for a stereo and slightly smaller for the AM radio 4x7. All much too confusing. Starting to wish i never asked the question.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2011, 07:49:04 PM »
I have never seen a 68 Mustang AM FM radio (C8 engineering number) that wasn't stereo. I don't know about others observations.Bob 
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2011, 12:02:36 AM »
Bob I dont think any of the radios in 68 had C8 engineering numbers. They wouold have a number like 8TPZ#### as in an AM. An FM was 8T_Z#####.
Its starting to look like maybe the schematic book was printed early and somewhere after it was released maybe engineers decided that AM/FM would be stereo. You've seen a lot more cars than I have so I will figure that the books are incorrect.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2011, 12:05:45 AM »
Bob I dont think any of the radios in 68 had C8 engineering numbers. They wouold have a number like 8TPZ#### as in an AM. An FM was 8T_Z#####.
Its starting to look like maybe the schematic book was printed early and somewhere after it was released maybe engineers decided that AM/FM would be stereo. You've seen a lot more cars than I have so I will figure that the books are incorrect.
Right on the 8T. Not many mistakes in the manuals relatively specking but we come across some from time to time. Bob

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2011, 10:39:59 PM »
Actually the number is F8TBZ. There was an earlier post stating that there was most likely only one wiring harness which included both the light and speaker. I was digging through some wiring harnesses and found one which only had the wires and black connector for door lights. I checked to see if there were any cut wires and found none. So I think there is a possibility that there were multiple harnesses as I have harness for lights and speakers which I pulled out of my car.

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #39 on: February 15, 2011, 12:25:07 AM »
Actually the number is F8TBZ. There was an earlier post stating that there was most likely only one wiring harness which included both the light and speaker. I was digging through some wiring harnesses and found one which only had the wires and black connector for door lights. I checked to see if there were any cut wires and found none. So I think there is a possibility that there were multiple harnesses as I have harness for lights and speakers which I pulled out of my car.
+1 I checked some originals I had last weekend and found the same thing.

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #40 on: February 15, 2011, 04:34:45 PM »
Well that's two of us with parts in hand. Should be enough to at least question the use of a single harness.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: February 15, 2011, 07:51:29 PM »
Well that's two of us with parts in hand. Should be enough to at least question the use of a single harness.
I guess you overlooked my reply in post #29 where I said- "Not all Shelby's received the stereo speaker harness ether ,only the ones that received the AM FM Stereo and Am 8 track did. "  . Bob

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #42 on: February 15, 2011, 10:28:08 PM »
Must have missed it. Sorry for repeating that which is already answered.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #43 on: February 15, 2011, 10:59:00 PM »
No problem.  ;D  Bob

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
« Reply #44 on: October 15, 2018, 04:08:20 PM »
I found someone on another forum who posted their Marti report that showed a factory optioned AM-FM radio. He took this picture for me. It looks like the holes for the speakers were not punched but cut with some kind of mill?

Although titled as a 68 GT Door speaker thread, the thread has encompassed both 67 and 68 due to their similarity.

I don't have a horse in this race, but I am curious. My documentation is too far away right now, but this topic came up in the Shelby forum and it got me to thinking.

I love enumerated lists, so for 67 factory options only:
No radio -- blank radio bezel (not a blanking plate, but the entire chrome housing).
No radio -- console car -- don't believe this was possible, but just a guess as I've never seen a blank radio console bezel.
AM radio -- output to dash speaker
AM/FM -- output to dash speaker as FM is monaural
AM/8 Track -- AM to dash speaker only?; 8 track to door speaker

I'd love to see ruppstang's picture as his previous post has a missing link to the  picture.

Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion