Author Topic: PPG DDL-9381 textured low-gloss black paint  (Read 5840 times)

Offline ExportMach

PPG DDL-9381 textured low-gloss black paint
« on: June 24, 2020, 07:32:40 PM »
Ive started hunting for certain paint supplies and one of the most difficult to secure is the elusive 9381 hood stripe black for Mach 1s and Bosses. A few years ago I have notes on a source Bob Perkins mentioned, that being TCP Global. Ive visited their website but havent called. The DDL-TCP-9381 sold in quarts with a PPG label is no longer available. They do list a Hot Rod Flatz Muscle Car Texture Black which I havent bought yet. Putting it out there for others. I will report what I find if someone doesnt beat me to it.

www.tcpglobal.com/collections/hot-rod-flatz-paint-Muscle-Car-Texture-Black

And this from the boss302.com FAQ page although not updated since approximately 2000:
[P]Q: Does anyone have the correct paint code and manufacturer name for the black paint on the trunk and hood stripe on a 1970 BOSS 302. A1: The correct finish for 1970 BOSS 302 hood black is the textured low-gloss black, PPG/Ditzler code DDL-9381 Hi-Performance black. This paint is available in factory pack only. You can have your paint store order the DDL-9381 in factory pack quarts. The rear deck spoiler and taillight are also textured low-gloss black DDL-9381. The tail lamp bezel, however, is low-gloss black without the texture. You can use PPG/Ditzler DDL-9423 low-gloss black by paint gun or Krylon semi-flat black 1613 for correct color and finish. A2: The only company that recently made the paint was PPG/Ditzler, code DDL-9381. However, this paint has been discontinued for a few years (I tried to get this paint approximately 1 1/2 years ago for my car. The rep. from PPG told me it was no longer available). Also, the rear spoiler and louvers (if equipped) as well as the molding around the back glass and the taillight panel should be a textured low gloss black (i.e. DDL-9381). The tail lamp bezel and shaker hood scoop trim ring should be a low gloss black without texture. Your paint shop should be able to use a painter's trick called "dry shoot" when they paint to replicate the texture paint.

This site was mentioned in a thread on Boss302.com as well.
https://www.autocolorlibrary.com/
This appears to be their product.
https://www.amazon.com/MUSCLE-BLACKOUT-PPG-PAINT-Mustang/dp/B002MOC03C/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1469561403&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=ppg+ddl-9381
« Last Edit: June 24, 2020, 07:51:47 PM by ExportMach »
Mark C
Ford T5 registrar www.FordT5.com
MCA certified judge - '69-'70 concours
1970 Mach 1 T-5; bucked Mar 1970
0F05H172XXX; 63C, 6, 3A, 91, 6, 1

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: PPG DDL-9381 textured low-gloss black paint
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2020, 03:04:26 PM »
TCP Global and the Auto Color Library are two in the same. Not sure why just what it is.

Have not personally used the product
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline RocketScientist

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2020, 09:52:04 AM »
I have used PPG's D843 texture additive in their Deltron topcoat range. It takes a bit of practice as the paint application affects gloss level but it  is great and very forgiving.
Brad

Offline jtboss302

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2020, 01:55:52 PM »
I have some of the PPG DDL-9381 textured low-gloss black paint on ebay, but I can make you a better deal off line if you still need some

Offline big bad blue

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2021, 08:53:45 AM »
 hope this paint will be available for some time as my 65 Galaxie has the roof done in texture black, probably won't get to that project for a couple years. The car was that way when I got it, 1973. People seem to remember the car always being that way. Was there any possibility the car came from the factory that way? Car was Gold with the Black roof and white interior, XL.
70 Eliminator, dearborn 428 CJ born 11/12/69, auto.

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2021, 10:56:28 AM »
hope this paint will be available for some time as my 65 Galaxie has the roof done in texture black, probably won't get to that project for a couple years. The car was that way when I got it, 1973. People seem to remember the car always being that way. Was there any possibility the car came from the factory that way? Car was Gold with the Black roof and white interior, XL.
In addition to asking here, I would ask this on a Galaxie forum or FB group.  Regarding memories, they can be deceiving and often times when an owner is confronted with data they get upset.  I've had this happen more than once with a 67 GT/GTA A-code owner with dual exhaust that they swear was from the factory.
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2021, 04:44:47 PM »

Suggest you also search out the salesman guide for that year and model to see what options are listed and available when the car was built. I'm guessing the door tag does not show the car being a special order of any type.

Good luck with your search and documentation
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline ExportMach

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2021, 02:39:50 PM »
Here is my hood with the TCP textured low gloss black. I really like how it came out.
Mark C
Ford T5 registrar www.FordT5.com
MCA certified judge - '69-'70 concours
1970 Mach 1 T-5; bucked Mar 1970
0F05H172XXX; 63C, 6, 3A, 91, 6, 1

Offline warwick

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2021, 06:56:38 PM »
Mark,

DDL is a PPG lacquer product. I don't believe they make it anymore. A number of states prohibit sales of it (commercial/industrial use).....VoC regs. 

Pretty much anything you can do in an enamel or lacquer you can do in a urethane. PPG's high end urethane line is Deltron. DCC is their single stage urethane product, DBC is their two stage (used with a clear coat) product. Some colors, like metallics are only found in the DBC line. Urethane is a better product-I have 25 year old restorations that the paint looks like it was done last week.

There are additives to control the degree of gloss you want...ie: gloss, semi-gloss, satin, flat etc . Those are just a name, you control the actual degree. Texture also. 

TCP is a distributor. PPG has their own color library and people. PPG has an auto refinish web site.

What you might want to do is go talk to your local PPG jobber or a body shop that uses PPG products. Other paint mnfg's are organized the same.

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2021, 02:57:50 PM »
I use SEM's Hot Rod Black.  It matches the original sheen exactly and it's widely available. 
Too much junk, too little time.

Offline Utsteve90

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2021, 09:16:12 PM »
Like ExportMach, I used TCP HRF295 Textured Flat Black.  Mixed at 4:1:0.5 with slow hardener and slow reducer (it was a little warm here in Florida).  Two medium wet coats with 8-9 minutes between coats.  Laid out beautifully and matched BOSS 302 hood decals perfectly.  Used same on other textured surfaces with equal success.  Highly recommend.  Steve H.

70 w-code B2, medium blue, Dearborn, 6/1/70