Author Topic: Reproducing 65-66 Door Plug Gaskets at Home  (Read 2121 times)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Reproducing 65-66 Door Plug Gaskets at Home
« on: November 30, 2020, 10:50:50 PM »
Have had these pictures sitting around since I reproduced some of these last year and never got around to posting.

Since the beginning of this site we've always tried to offer ways for owners to make or do things themselves by posting DIY threads. Sometimes alternative methods of getting the tasks done are available or have become available at a later date, example the tin/lead dipping for the gas filler necks, but some of us just like doing our own work. Sometimes these production methods can be applied to other projects and by sharing we all learn and grow.

On 1965-66 Mustangs rear door edge there are two hole plugs formed from sheet metal and inserted in hole holes that offer access to the rear window run as shown in the picture below

Originally each of these had a thin whitish foam gasket that often collapsed and deteriorated over the year

I first found the foam product when I received some parts wrapped with cushioned bubble wrap. Playing with the stuff I found that brand was using a very thin layer of white open foam to add additional padding between the two layers of bubbles.  Next went on Amazon and found a nicely made circle cutter that had a ton of pres-set holes and a outer ring to keep it in place and allow me to apply downward pressure while cutting. After testing multiple methods can came up with one that produces consistent outcomes though I mess one up every once in a while.

I did run out of the bubble wrap material quickly but was able to purchase a roll with 12" square sections preformed in the roll making handling it for my purposes much easier. Currently I can make enough for two dozen cars is a fairly short amount of time. Sure I'll find some other applications for the cutter in the future. 

Below are the steps I use to create these gaskets. Hope this helps others directly or indirectly

- A look at the tool. Outer ring stays stationary and the inner clear plexiglass section turns on a set of ball bearings. The cutter at the top right inserts into one of the marked holes and when pressed cuts what every is directly below with a cutting blade.

- I use a sheet of plexiglass as a base to do all my decal, sticker and hole cutting. The sheet of foam and a piece of printer paper are positioned on the plexiglass. Took me a while but I found that by placing a sheet of paper over the foam the blade would cut cleaner. Without it the foam would more likely pull and tear.

- I premarked the inner and outer measurements on the plate so I would not have to keep finding the right hole each time I wanted to cut

- Making sure you have enough room you position the cutter. Don't want to be too close to the edge or the other cuts

- While holding the frame in place with you one had  your cutting hand inserts the cutter in the hole marked 1 1/2" hole pressing downward. From there you make a circle in either direction with a smooth slow pace as you press with both hands.

-  With the hand your not using to cut with holds the frame tightly against the paper and foam you move the cutter to the next , outer diameter hole at 1 11/16" and make th ecut as you did the first cut

- From there you remove the cutter then frame and retrieve the gasket

A look at the finished product installed on a couple of original door plugs

When installed on the car the gasket is barely visible but its just another detail that makes your car closer to what it was originally ;)

Again hope this helps others and inspires other to try new ideas and methods.

« Last Edit: December 01, 2020, 12:00:25 AM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 1966KGT

Re: Reproducing 65-66 Door Plug Gaskets at Home
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2020, 07:14:52 AM »
Very nice process, one could adapt for other needs in restoring items. I find myself, as other car buffs do, using all sorts of tools, techniques to replicate items. Does the 69 markers use a similar gasket? Thanks for sharing.
1966 K GT, BUILT 11/08/65 4 SPEED, SAN JOSE CAR, 1969 Mustang convertible, 1970 MACH 1, 1963 GALAXIE Q code Fastback, 1966 mustang t code coupe, fuel injected

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2020, 01:20:42 PM »
Very nice process, one could adapt for other needs in restoring items. I find myself, as other car buffs do, using all sorts of tools, techniques to replicate items. Does the 69 markers use a similar gasket? Thanks for sharing.
The 69 markers gasket is not similar in thickness and of course shape.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline RalphJr

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2021, 01:10:01 PM »
NPD now selling these sets. I reproduce them using steel rule dies and similar material to what Ford used.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2021, 05:06:51 PM »
NPD now selling these sets. I reproduce them using steel rule dies and similar material to what Ford used.

Yes its rewarding and sometimes surprising of what you do with a little thought and craft skills. Have made hundreds of these now. For me I found it works better to make a good number of them each time since there is always a learning curve when I go back to these after months. Things like increasing the number per foam sheet, how sharp my cutters are and in turn how many times I have to spin the cutter to get a nice cut and so on.

Other thing is storing and transporting these since they can get folded or crushed and over time will retain some of those issues. Always put in some extras just in case. Not making these to make any money just to provide sometime that does not make sense doing yourself for one car (cost of tools verse what your getting)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)