Author Topic: Mystery Tag  (Read 1420 times)

Offline 9F94M567042

Mystery Tag
« on: September 27, 2021, 03:09:35 PM »
Ok folks, I posted this on another forum and got ZERO response so I'm hoping someone here might give some insight. This is on my '69 Dearborn built Cougar but maybe it applies to Mustangs as well.
Pulled the carpet out of the convertible a few days ago to check the condition of the floor pans and just a general look see.
Among various fasteners found on the bottom of the insulation, I came across this.
This is on the passenger side floor board next to the outer rail. It is about 1" x 3" metal strip that has been riveted to the floor pan.
I thought to myself, what in the world?? There appears to be no stampings on it, like a buck tag would have, and I haven't figured out a convenient way to remove it to see if anything is on the other side.
I don't believe a PO would have put this here or even a Ford dealer, so it had to be there from the factory. But why? And what was its purpose??
Any body ever seen this before??
I used a wire brush on it so that is what you are seeing.
Thanks Much!

Offline krelboyne

• West Coast Classic Cougars
Re: Mystery Tag
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2021, 05:15:17 PM »
Maybe a tag from the top of the pallet of floor pans? Manufacturing tag for identification and warehousing?
Scott Behncke - Carcheaologist
West Coast Classic Cougars
503-463-1130
1968 GT/CS 302-4V San Jose 05B
1968 Cougar XR7 Dearborn 09A

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2021, 08:15:52 PM »
Since there is not stamping of information on the small piece of metal not sure the purpose

At least the one attachment point appears to be a tack weld rather than a rivet. Are there two attachment points - looks like there maybe?

If so then that would give us an insight as to when it was attached or not attached during the build process

Don't recall every seeing another
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 9F94M567042

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2021, 09:28:34 PM »
Jeff,
I'm pretty sure (99%) that it is not a tack weld. It is only attached at the one end. The other end appears to have what might be maybe a manufacture or engineering mark maybe??
I'll try and figure a way to remove it without damaging it and will report back on my findings.
Thanks for responding

Offline MrBill

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2021, 07:54:22 AM »
I found a similar metal tag under the original carpet (on the passenger side front) of 1584 as shown in this picture taken on 2/10/2010

Until that time, the carpet had not ever been out of the car.

Bill S.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2021, 05:32:20 PM »
Jeff,
I'm pretty sure (99%) that it is not a tack weld. It is only attached at the one end. The other end appears to have what might be maybe a manufacture or engineering mark maybe??
I'll try and figure a way to remove it without damaging it and will report back on my findings.

Though this might be a connection point. If there is a reason for it to me removed (not sure if there is) you can cut or carefully grind through the weld at the top edge

Don't see any mention of the piece of metal in the Assembly Manual

Most of the time this seam area is covered with a wide and often thick seam sealer application. If there were a similar piece of metal on those one may not be able to see it. but haven't found it on other examples when I've removed the sealer

Looked for other examples in pictures - same plant and year and found the following

My WAG is that this tag was made and attached to hold down the passenger side of the floor pane when it was installed and welded to the lower edge of the firewall panel when the station was down a man on rare occasions . Then when there were two it was not needed. Not sure if union rules at the time allowed stations to run short. Just a wild guess

Jeff Speegle

Offline 9F94M567042

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2021, 08:52:57 PM »
Well I thought I would try again to see if I could remove this mystery strip of metal but to no avail. I may have to drill out the rivet that is holding it to the floor pan.
I did manage to bend it upward a little bit and used an inspection mirror to see if I could see any markings or printing on the underside, but no luck.
So, I guess it will remain a mystery for now until such time as it is removed. I still don't understand why a 1 x 3 strip of sheet steel was placed here and attached to the
floor pan. And for what purpose??

Jeff, I'm having a hard time imagining that this strip would have served in this capacity, but I guess stranger things have occurred.
"My WAG is that this tag was made and attached to hold down the passenger side of the floor pane when it was installed and welded to the lower edge of the firewall panel when the station was down a man on rare occasions . Then when there were two it was not needed. Not sure if union rules at the time allowed stations to run short. Just a wild guess"

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2021, 03:14:11 PM »
OK, it's time to lighten up. Picture a bored assembly line worker. What do you do when you're bored? Something? Anything? This could be nothing more than a 50 year old practical joke - and you all bit. Somewhere in "assembly line worker's paradise", the boys are gathered around their afterlife computer monitors - laughing.
It's a possible explanation that nobody seems to want.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2021, 05:00:35 PM »
OK, it's time to lighten up. Picture a bored assembly line worker. What do you do when you're bored? Something? Anything? This could be nothing more than a 50 year old practical joke - and you all bit. Somewhere in "assembly line worker's paradise", the boys are gathered around their afterlife computer monitors - laughing.
It's a possible explanation that nobody seems to want.
Jim

Guess its a possibility. Only question would be where did the piece of metal come from since no panels were being cut or made there so not scraps I would guess as you would have in a regular body shop.  Guy brought it from home?  :)

We do find/see an "extra" small piece of metal on some cars in a similar spot under those panels visible from under the car. Not plant or years specific at this time, just an observation. Slightly different shape and thickness

9F94M567042
- Here is the spot I was referring to sort of mid way in the center of the piece of metal

Going to move the subject to the Body discussion section of the site

Jeff Speegle

Offline MrBill

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2021, 05:50:54 PM »
Are we certain that is a pop rivet, or set of pop rivets? Can we get a closer shot of the piece?

Looks identical in size to the one I posted above, yet mine was tossed in the passenger foot well, along with a 1969 penny and a spent matchbook too faded to read the advertisement on. Mine was a 3/31/69 build if that helps. Had a few pics on the original SAAC 1.0 , still trying to dig up the extra pics from my archives to show what was found and where when I pulled the carpet up after the heater core blew in 2010

Bill S.