Author Topic: fastback rear glass gasket issue  (Read 1035 times)

Offline Big Al

fastback rear glass gasket issue
« on: December 03, 2021, 10:51:12 PM »
Looking for any tips that anyone might have concerning a problem i'm having with a Daniel Carpenter 70 fastback rear window gasket. 
The gasket wants to "roll under" in the top RH side section (approx 8 inches) of the window opening, right up to the rounded top RH corner.  The gasket protrudes too much on inside and diminishes on outside.  where i might have 3/16" gasket show around the other 3 sides (next to molding to glass), this side creeps up and under the molding leaving a 1/16" at best.  This is my second attempt with a second gasket.  The first gasket was worse than this one and was in the same general location (top RH side).  I have made sure that there isn't any headliner or sail panel material bunched up in this area and I have made sure when installing the gasket around the glass that it wasn't stretched or bunched in any location around the whole window.  I made sure that the gasket wasn't too cold (bucket of hot water rest) and garage temp was warm.  When i do get the gasket to behave and stay in the right position, (clamps, etc) the molding wont fit due to gasket material being too tall / thick (high).  The gasket doesn't appear to have any problems when i review it off the window but it acts like its not molded correctly, bad material (?).  i did not have any problems with the install, went right in.  Very Frustrated at this point.  Help. 
1973 Mustang Conv and 1970 Mach I

Offline Hipo giddyup

• There is no end to doing right. Giddyup!!!
Re: fastback rear glass gasket issue
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2021, 11:45:39 AM »
 I just installed my first rear fb gasket on my son's 70'Mach 1, about two months ago. I had purchased the gasket from NPD. I was worried with the install as the headliner and sail panels went in and turned out looking nice. I am happy to say I had NO issues with the install or the gasket. The only problem I could complain about is the center clip that joins the top moldings. It just doesn't want to stay down flush and I honestly can live with that as it isn't easy to see, I have no leaks,  and I don't want to dent up the molding "trying" to get it to lay flat. I have not heard of the issues you describe so I wish you the best of luck. Maybe third time is a charm?
1967 Springtime Yellow Coupe, 289 2v 3spd, Metuchen built, Nov. 17th 66'
1966 Sahara Beige Coupe, 289 2v 3spd, Dearborn built, July 21st 66'
1964 1/2 Pagoda Green Coupe, 260 2v 3spd, Dearborn built, June 30th 64'
1966 GT350 Fastback clone, 289 HiPo, 725cfm Holley, 4spd, SanJose built, Nov 25th 65'

Offline RocketScientist

Re: fastback rear glass gasket issue
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2021, 03:40:46 AM »
Big Al, to me it sounds like it might be more of an issue with the window edge than the gasket and it might be slightly out- giving a greater gap and allowing it to roll under. If you can correctly fix it in place with clips and it gives you the correct look inside then that is a good start, and you can shave down the excess gasket material to get the moldings to fit. A number of people find the Carpenter gasket too thick and need to shave it down and so it's not an uncommon thing to do.
Brad