Author Topic: Lower rear quarter panel patches  (Read 1051 times)

Offline Willy 1

Lower rear quarter panel patches
« on: January 01, 2022, 12:17:45 AM »
Working on a 1968 coupe the is rusted out in the usual area bottom of the trunk drop offs outer wheel wells and bottom of the quarter panel. There is a patch available that covers about the bottom foot of the quarter panel. Have looked at a couple different brands and they are not even close to what the originals look like. Anyone have any experience with these and what did they find for being close to the original in looks and fit.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Lower rear quarter panel patches
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2022, 01:15:04 AM »
As usual many reproduction body panels need some help and modification. Haven't used these specific panels so many someone with recent experiences with these will offer some insight
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2022, 01:24:24 AM »
Working on a 1968 coupe the is rusted out in the usual area bottom of the trunk drop offs outer wheel wells and bottom of the quarter panel. There is a patch available that covers about the bottom foot of the quarter panel. Have looked at a couple different brands and they are not even close to what the originals look like. Anyone have any experience with these and what did they find for being close to the original in looks and fit.
I am not sure which ones you have looked at but the few I am familiar with are made too long and you at the very least have to trim them.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Willy 1

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2022, 02:32:47 AM »
The last ones I looked at are Scott Drake. On the bottom of the original quarter the bottom has real sharp edges and the reproduction ones are more rounded. This makes it almost impossible to change only a portion of the quarter bottom. Looks like they need other tweeking also to make them fit properly

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2022, 09:58:37 AM »
I have the same experience with patch panels and quarter skins. On my last project we bought Dynacorn  full quarters and cut what we needed from them.  I always try to save as much Ford metal as possible. I have heard the Dynacorn products referred to as the best of the junk, so expect to do some work on whatever panels you use.   

Offline Willy 1

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2022, 02:14:53 PM »
I have the same experience with patch panels and quarter skins. On my last project we bought Dynacorn  full quarters and cut what we needed from them.  I always try to save as much Ford metal as possible. I have heard the Dynacorn products referred to as the best of the junk, so expect to do some work on whatever panels you use.   

I have not seen the Dynacorn ones but have had good luck with some of there other products. I believe you are correct when you say most of these products leave a bit to be desired!! Defiantly want to stay away from the off shore products. A lot of the D

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2022, 05:40:13 PM »
I have not seen the Dynacorn ones but have had good luck with some of there other products. I believe you are correct when you say most of these products leave a bit to be desired!! Defiantly want to stay away from the off shore products. A lot of the D
FYI Dynacorn products are typically made off shore too.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Willy 1

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2022, 01:14:36 AM »
Really well I imagine most things are. I guess some have better molds than others then.