Author Topic: Paint code for Sunlit gold  (Read 818 times)

Offline mbyers

Paint code for Sunlit gold
« on: January 17, 2022, 01:12:19 AM »
Happy/healthy ?22 to all

I hopefully have an easy inquiry. I have 68 fast back that had repaint w Sunlit Gold few yrs ago by previous owner. Car does not need total repaint. Looking to do some much needed body work and therefore need some help finding paint code for that color. Local PPG store informed me they don?t have code for it and it has to be matched. They have attempted twice to match it but unsuccessful. They tell me color gold is one of the most difficult colors to match. I?m realistic and realize that given age of paint and exposure of sun that I won?t find a perfect match but was hoping that member/s have worked w this color before and know of manufacturer that has the paint code and product. Thx in advance for any suggestions.

Matt

Offline Coralsnake

• Global Moderator
Re: Paint code for Sunlit gold
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2022, 10:52:29 AM »
It sounds like you are having a little trouble. Colors are very hard to match, because paint formulas change frequently. Every company has its own mixtures and chemical processes.

You do need to find someone that can color match what you have. There are some specialty companies like
Automotive Touchup that may be helpful

Here are the codes (keep in mind they are the old codes)

http://www.thecoralsnake.com/PAINT.HTML

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2022, 12:46:44 PM »
It sounds like you are having a little trouble. Colors are very hard to match, because paint formulas change frequently. Every company has its own mixtures and chemical processes.
Plus the EPA has banned several paint bases, like oil. To compensate, the industry developed acrylic paints and two stage paints, and then wonders why us "pagans" don't go head over heels for their new formulas.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Wad 68

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2022, 10:58:50 AM »
Funny you ask, but I'm sort of in the same boat.  So, not funny indeed.  I actually have to match the entire car, which is probably easier.  I'm primer gray right now, but I will paint it original Sunlit Gold.  I am in fact meeting with my painter today, my brother as it were, who works for a local Ford dealer.  (not that that matters).  He's hooked up with Sherwin-Williams, so we'll see how it goes.  SW has no exact match, so we'll have to match and mix the paint.  Otherwise, I was going to possibly look into TCPGlobal and their restoration shop paints.  They have the product and colors apparently - I have no idea of the match to original.  Having said all that, I do actually have an original color swatch of the 68 colors, and it looks well preserved and a dang close match to some chips I took off the car in the trunk area.  They were under a new coat of primer, but I was able to match and so close to the swatch.  Very unscientific though.  I'll probably order a quart of the paint from TCPGlobal anyway to just see how close it is. I know that's probably not a huge help in matching an already painted car.

Offline MrBill

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2022, 03:07:20 PM »
Happy/healthy ?22 to all

I hopefully have an easy inquiry. I have 68 fast back that had repaint w Sunlit Gold few yrs ago by previous owner. Car does not need total repaint. Looking to do some much needed body work and therefore need some help finding paint code for that color. Local PPG store informed me they don?t have code for it and it has to be matched. They have attempted twice to match it but unsuccessful. They tell me color gold is one of the most difficult colors to match. I?m realistic and realize that given age of paint and exposure of sun that I won?t find a perfect match but was hoping that member/s have worked w this color before and know of manufacturer that has the paint code and product. Thx in advance for any suggestions.

Matt

Matt,

If you are not doing a full repaint, you will need to find a local paint supplier or shop who is willing to come to your home and use their "color eye" (IE: computerized, laser guided, paint matching tool) on your existing paint. On top of that, and you will need to have to pay them for this, they will then need to mix and do spray out test cards to get the right formula so that a "blend" of your existing panels into the adjoining panels can be seamlessly accomplished. There is not easier way to do this if you are only doing spot work, anyone that tells you differently has not clue, especially with Sunlit Gold, which was a headache to match even when the cars were new, right off the showroom floor. This from the retired bodyshop owner  ;)

Bill