Author Topic: Touch up paint pens?  (Read 1748 times)

Offline 65IVYGT

Touch up paint pens?
« on: January 18, 2022, 01:44:12 PM »
I have a 65 GT that is Ivy Green. It has been repainted in the past few years (don't know exactly when). I have a couple of rock chips and am wondering if there is a quality provider of paint pens for the classic colors? Thanks in advance...
65 GT Coupe, SJ:5/17, Factory Air and PS, 4-Speed, Ivy Green, Pony Interior.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: Touch up paint pens?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2022, 02:00:08 PM »
The chances of a close match purely based on paint code would be extremely slim.  Best to take it to a local auto body paint store and see if they can help.

Normally it's best to get some touch-up paint when the car is painted.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline k-code

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2022, 02:59:37 AM »
I have a 65 GT that is Ivy Green. It has been repainted in the past few years (don't know exactly when). I have a couple of rock chips and am wondering if there is a quality provider of paint pens for the classic colors? Thanks in advance...

This company provide touch up pens but I haven?t used their service so can?t vouch for them.

https://www.automotivetouchup.com/
Andy
65 K code coupe, Dearborn, Dec 18, '64

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2022, 05:08:38 PM »
This company provide touch up pens but I haven?t used their service so can?t vouch for them.

https://www.automotivetouchup.com/

Have used them for modern cars. Worked ok for small areas

Wonder if they even have access to current paints and the older formulas to turn out colors that are even close. One of the ongoing challenges with our cars today
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline k-code

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2022, 08:44:22 PM »
Have used them for modern cars. Worked ok for small areas

Wonder if they even have access to current paints and the older formulas to turn out colors that are even close. One of the ongoing challenges with our cars today

My local paint shop mixed me up a rattle can last week. I gave them the Ford paint code for ivy green metallic and he said no problem. I?ll report back when I?ve had a chance to use it.
Andy
65 K code coupe, Dearborn, Dec 18, '64

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2022, 12:55:52 AM »
My local paint shop mixed me up a rattle can last week. I gave them the Ford paint code for ivy green metallic and he said no problem. I?ll report back when I?ve had a chance to use it.
The problem I've encountered is that my cars' paint has faded over the years. An old friend that ran a body shop showed me the difference between the original paint shade and the "genuine" paint he used to paint a damaged front fender. You could see the difference in the right light, but to the casual eye it was OK. If it was a touch up paint job, say half a hood, it would be a mis-match. The sun is not your cars' friend.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline sgl66

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2022, 11:01:56 AM »
You can pull off a headlight trim ring and bring it to a paint shop to scan and match. They can leave it in the can or put it in a rattle can and that way you can either spray into a cup and touch up with a brush as needed or if you need to spray a small area you have that option also.

With the trim ring, you can also dab a small spot in a hidden area to see if it matches before they put it in a rattle can.

The shop I go to uses this and I've had very good results for about $30 https://www.spraymax.com/en-us/
66 GT 6T09K12---- scheduled Oct 14, bucked Oct 13 '65

Offline 65IVYGT

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2022, 04:08:52 PM »
Thank you all!
65 GT Coupe, SJ:5/17, Factory Air and PS, 4-Speed, Ivy Green, Pony Interior.

Offline papa scoops

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2022, 03:25:45 PM »
you can go to your local hobby shop or hobby lobby and they have empty touch up pens. just fill it up with your paint, and away you go! you can also get the 64 pack of crayola crayons to use for small scratches and tiny nicks. use on warm day. it is just colored wax, but works great. scoops

Offline dkknab

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2022, 05:29:44 PM »
I tried the paint pen route for my car.  What you end up with in my opinion is a repair that will stop our keep the area from further deterioration or rust,  but you'll still end up with an area depending on the size looks like it's been touched up.  At Florence my repairs were noticeable enough that they were mentioned as a defect on my concours car.

Also chips are surface issues typically I'mguessing.  Any bubbling is a sign of a more extreme problem that is a telltale sign that the problem is really rust from inside out. I can attest to that very problem myself.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2022, 05:34:09 PM by dkknab »
David Knab

1968 Sunlit Gold Coupe Sprint B
289 2V, AT, PS
Nugget Gold Interior
April 5, 1968 Build Date, Metuchen Plant

2019 Bullitt Highland Green K7662

Offline BobV

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2022, 08:43:17 AM »
For small chips and showfield touchups, I prefer using the small disposable brushes over the in-bottle pens and brushes. They come in several sizes. With the right technique, the repairs are usually invisible. Helpful in some cleaning areas too.  ;D
https://www.amazon.com/Brushes-Disposable-Applicators-Automotive-Available/dp/B08LKX39W6/
« Last Edit: June 21, 2022, 08:45:34 AM by BobV »
1986 Saleen Mustang
51k miles 98% original