Author Topic: exhaust hangers  (Read 773 times)

Offline 68 GT

exhaust hangers
« on: February 18, 2022, 10:34:28 PM »
Our 67 coupe is still on a rotisserie, I'm wondering, do I need to provide the exhaust system to the restoration shop so exhaust hangers can be installed prior to sealing up the undercarriage? Wasn't sure if the exhaust hangers are welded or bolted in place. Unsure what exhaust I want to use at this time. 289 with long tube headers is really about all I know for now. The rear valance is a non-GT, so will probably install turn down tips on the dual exhaust system. Thanks!
VIN 7T01C246XXX
Actual build date 5-11-67

VIN 8F01J208XXX
Actual build date 6-27-68

Offline ruppstang

Re: exhaust hangers
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2022, 11:01:46 PM »
The factory style exhaust hangers were bolted in the rear end of the floor pan. There were others that bracketed and bolted to the rear end of the frame rails. I do not know how the aftermarket systems mount.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2022, 06:20:51 PM »
Our 67 coupe is still on a rotisserie, I'm wondering, do I need to provide the exhaust system to the restoration shop so exhaust hangers can be installed prior to sealing up the undercarriage?

As mentioned you don't need to provide them unless the shop will also be installing the exhaust system or if your changing the exhaust from factory. Then your better to figure it out before painting as such

Wasn't sure if the exhaust hangers are welded or bolted in place.

Depends on what you plan as your final goal. If modifying better to figure it out ahead of time to save on time spent fixing or hiding changes

But that is a subject for another site since our focus here is restorations and factory details  ;)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 68 GT

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2022, 02:09:37 PM »
Thank you both!!
VIN 7T01C246XXX
Actual build date 5-11-67

VIN 8F01J208XXX
Actual build date 6-27-68