Author Topic: who can still mix old PPG or DuPont paint codes  (Read 2630 times)

Offline BHStang

who can still mix old PPG or DuPont paint codes
« on: April 26, 2022, 11:25:37 AM »
Trying to find a place that can mix up the Charcoal Black Poly dash paint used in 1970.  PPG/Ditzler 32586  DuPont 9354LH.  Have been to several auto paint suppliers in Upstate SC with no luck, seems no one can match the old numbers.  Most can cross reference to a specific exterior color by year but no luck on interior or old numbers.   
1970 Mach 1
H Code 351C 2v
DAP June 10, 1970
4 Speed Close
AC, PS, Power disk, Shaker, Rear Spoiler

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: who can still mix old PPG or DuPont paint codes
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2022, 03:40:08 PM »
There are companies that have reformulated the paints but since the codes used in the old formula relate to colors and toners that not longer exist it isn't going to happen IMHO  Same thing has taken place with exterior colors and things like black out blacks for Mach I and Boss's

I have some formulas that we worked to establish long ago based on weight but in the same way the toners no longer are made so the formula does us no good. Would have to start over with a base. In one example I spent months at a paint store and did at least 50 different mixes before I was happy. The people were great there willing to "waste" their time doing this for me. SO nice that when the base was going out of use (read illegal to use) they called up and asked if I wanted them to convert their final gallons that could get to the "mix" which we did.

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline BHStang

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2022, 04:26:42 PM »
so in other words the only thing I can really do is try to match one of their color chips to an original part?  I dont personally have any original painted interior parts with the dark charcoal but I know someone (exportmach) who does. Anyways I looked as his original dash this weekend (and of course all the unrestored picture section) is it correct that the charcoal as a very low metallic?  In the full sun it looked like semi-gloss black at first and then you could see more of a grey tone, but it was only under really close examination that you could see a hint of metallic.  Its just hard to to tell if his dash is just too faded to give an accurate idea or not.

1970 Mach 1
H Code 351C 2v
DAP June 10, 1970
4 Speed Close
AC, PS, Power disk, Shaker, Rear Spoiler

Offline MrBill

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2022, 08:01:58 PM »
Trying to find a place that can mix up the Charcoal Black Poly dash paint used in 1970.  PPG/Ditzler 32586  DuPont 9354LH.  Have been to several auto paint suppliers in Upstate SC with no luck, seems no one can match the old numbers.  Most can cross reference to a specific exterior color by year but no luck on interior or old numbers.

Just for reference, this is also an RM code:4464
PPG:  https://www.paintscratch.com/touch_up_paint/Ford/1969-Ford-All-Other-Models-Charcoal-Interior-32586-Ditzler.html
No guarantee it will match

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2022, 10:48:27 PM »
so in other words the only thing I can really do is try to match one of their color chips to an original part?  I dont personally have any original painted interior parts with the dark charcoal but I know someone (exportmach) who does. Anyways I looked as his original dash this weekend (and of course all the unrestored picture section) is it correct that the charcoal as a very low metallic?  In the full sun it looked like semi-gloss black at first and then you could see more of a grey tone, but it was only under really close examination that you could see a hint of metallic.  Its just hard to to tell if his dash is just too faded to give an accurate idea or not.
That is comparable to the way myself and others would describe it. For those reasons described is why semigloss black like 65/66 is so often mistakenly used. I have lost count how many times I have gotten a deer in the headlight look by a entrant when I have had to be sensitive and with diplomacy explain that a entrant in concours has painted their interior the wrong color.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Daven

• 1969 Mustang Mach I. 9R02R107xxx
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2022, 01:18:45 AM »
So will it help at a show you are judged at to have a piece of the original seat material to confirm correctness color?

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2022, 02:12:11 AM »
So will it help at a show you are judged at to have a piece of the original seat material to confirm correctness color?
Seat material will not help to confirm correctness of color for painted interior parts but will help if upholstery is questioned.  ;)
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline warwick

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2022, 07:44:32 AM »
My suggestion is that you speak directly with PPG (or Dupont-they have a new name) Auto Refinish Tech Support or their Color Library people. The number is available on their web site. If you still have an issue speak directly with you local PPG Rep. Your jobber can put you in contact with. They should be able to provide you a formula to give your local jobber. While pigments, toners and formulas have changed I would think you will get a workable replacement. You must be specific to interior application. Fed mandated gloss requirements.

This has been my experience.