Author Topic: Door reassembly order?  (Read 342 times)

Offline jackhodges

Door reassembly order?
« on: May 11, 2022, 12:43:35 PM »
I'm getting ready to reassemble my doors after getting the car repainted.  Of course, the doors are on the car.  Do I put the door latching mechanisms into the door before the glass or will that hamper me getting the vent window and the main runners, regulator and glass in?  Or put all the glass in first then the mechanisms?

Offline jwc66k

Re: Door reassembly order?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2022, 02:46:42 PM »
All this is spelled out in the 1965 (I assume, you didn't say) Mustang Body Assembly Manual. The assembly steps are directly related to the individual part's item number, with appropriate hardware items and sealants included. There is also a page on adjustments.
I strongly recommend you get a set of manuals for your car.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2022, 06:10:57 PM »
Remember the belt line molding before you install the window down bumper in the bottom of the door shell  ;)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 67convt

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2022, 10:07:04 PM »
Install the door handles, door latches and locks first and get all of that working.  The rod that controls the door handle is installed to the inside side of the door so you need to install this and the lock rods and door handle rods first.  Then put in the rubber window stops in the inside bottom of the doors and run any electrical wiring (i.e. if you have the deluxe doors with lights).  After that I put in the quarter window and then the window regulators/track, glass stops and glass adjustment brackets and then the window felts.  Install the felts before installing the glass and make sure to tape the edge of the door where it meets the window felt area so you don't chip the paint when installing those window felts or door glass.

As others mentioned I highly recommend buying the manual which outlines all of this and includes how to adjust the glass inward/outward.  Staring at the manual will be very helpful and it will all make sense.