Author Topic: Finishing 1966 11/16 sway-bar insulator brackets  (Read 1917 times)

Offline Maksim27

Finishing 1966 11/16 sway-bar insulator brackets
« on: October 24, 2022, 08:45:34 PM »
Guys I was wondering if the sway bar insulator brackets need to be bare metal or darker.  I have a set that got zinc phosphated a few years ago and not sure if that is correct.

Also have unrestored brackets that seem to show bare metal underside of them.  If in fact bare metal then I'll just RPM them after removing surface rust.

Jan 66 C4 200 San Jose

« Last Edit: November 18, 2022, 05:53:26 PM by J_Speegle »

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: 1966 11/16 sway-bar insulator brackets
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2022, 10:44:57 PM »
Guys I was wondering if the sway bar insulator brackets need to be bare metal or darker.  I have a set that got zinc phosphated a few years ago and not sure if that is correct.

Also have unrestored brackets that seem to show bare metal underside of them.  If in fact bare metal then I'll just RPM them after removing surface rust.

Jan 66 C4 200 San Jose
I believe that they were bare steel from the factory. Zinc phosphate is maintenance friendly and helps hold oil on the part to protect against rust. With that said there are different shades of zinc phosphate some of which are light in shade and close to bare metal look. It typically has to do with how long the part is cooked in the solution. The longer the darker typically. You should always use oil or your preferred rust protecting product to keep rust at bay regardless of if zinc phosphate or not..
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Maksim27

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2022, 11:50:48 PM »
Yeah I also have the assumption that the brackets were bare metal to lightly phosphate then oil.  I don't know if I should lighten up the finish as a plating shop zinc phosphated the brackets.  Was also thinking of using RPM afterwards.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2022, 12:54:13 AM »
Yeah I also have the assumption that the brackets were bare metal to lightly phosphate then oil.  I don't know if I should lighten up the finish as a plating shop zinc phosphated the brackets.  Was also thinking of using RPM afterwards.
Yes they look too dark in the pictures. I typically lightly blast them and then tumble them in stainless steel shot for about 20 minutes and they come out looking factory fresh.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2022, 01:47:23 AM »
Bare steel like new steel is the look. How you get there is part of the fun and challenge. If they are in good condition you should still strip and refinish them unless they are perfect. Looks like yours are very nice for ones to start with

You might also consider stripping the rust chemically, working the surface slightly to reduce any slight pitting or scares that may have taken place and I like to use gun bluing repair fluid on steel wool to slightly color them and take the metal color back to original. You can see examples of bare steel at any good hardware store where they sell bars of steel for making brackets and such. Sheets are often treated so be wary of those
« Last Edit: October 25, 2022, 01:50:07 AM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Maksim27

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2022, 08:50:03 PM »
I removed the phosphate finish and now the brackets are shiny bare metal.  Should I use perma-blue to darken them with the steel wool or are the brackets the correct metal tone.  I tried to make them like new appearance and this is the best I can do for now.  I can make the brackets more dull by using a green scotch-brite but the pad does leave minor scratches. 

If the brackets look good then I'll just use RPM on them.

In the first picture the ceiling light keeps hitting and causing glare.  I turned the lights off in the rest of the pictures and the outside glare appears.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2022, 03:36:46 AM by Maksim27 »

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2022, 12:27:08 AM »
Lets' review the process. The bracket was created by a stamping process. I can visualized at least six steps in a 50 ton stamping machine from a roll of steel (that may have sat in a field) to a finished bracket. In each step, oil was sprayed on the item to facilitate the process, you don't want the item to jam up the press, and in each step, the item was lifted from the die to move to the next step. The item was cut at the last step and unceremoniously dropped into a container. "Scratches" were normal. The finished brackets may had been dumped in a tank of solvent to remove the oil, and it may have gone in a hot bath of phosphoric acid, rinsed and oiled again as a preservative. But that's it. It was not shiny steel.
Jim
I was the Production Control Manager in a large hi-tech facility in Silicon Valley that had a 30 ton stamping press in one of the buildings.
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Maksim27

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2022, 12:44:55 AM »
WOW what a process...  So interesting how stamping's work at every stage...

Probably another way for me to make the tone a bit darker is to heat up the bracket and then throw it in the oil bucket.  Afterwards remove the oil and use RPM wax.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2022, 03:25:19 AM by Maksim27 »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Finishing 1966 11/16 sway-bar insulator brackets
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2022, 05:53:03 PM »
I removed the phosphate finish and now the brackets are shiny bare metal.  Should I use perma-blue to darken them with the steel wool or are the brackets the correct metal tone.

There are many ways to "knock down" the very fresh "worked" look but a light application of perma blue applying with a wad of steel wool has worked for me. Doesn't take much and will remove that just off the wire brush wheel or out of the cabinet look

Just what has worked for me :)
Jeff Speegle

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2022, 12:07:56 AM »
Here is a link to a previous thread on sway bar brackets.
https://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=25348.msg157152#msg157152
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Maksim27

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2022, 11:22:03 PM »
Alright guys how about now... Does the tone of the brackets look correct enough.  I used perma-blue, then 000 wool to lighten them up.  If you guys think they are still dark then I'll slightly go over with a green scotch-brite. 

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2022, 11:46:32 PM »
Alright guys how about now... Does the tone of the brackets look correct enough.  I used perma-blue, then 000 wool to lighten them up.  If you guys think they are still dark then I'll slightly go over with a green scotch-brite.

It's all about the lighting, camera settings as well as monitor setting. Example the one on the left in the picture on the lower section looks fine the one on the right looks darker. Next time maybe consider putting something else in the picture so we can see a comparison. In this example you might try a tie rod end with a darkened/heat treated finish. Or something like the sway bar or even the rubber bushing. First picture in reply #5 didn't look bad but it also had nothing to contrast or compare to

Just a thought
Jeff Speegle

Offline Maksim27

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2022, 12:19:27 AM »
Yes it's definitely the lighting...I have overhead LED's...  The brackets do look lighter than in the picture.  When I turn on the brightest setting on my computer that's how they actually look like visually.

Just wondering does any vendor sell concours insulators 11/16 size that have the rubber threads on the top far side portion.  Deadnutson sells the larger size but not the 11/16 size...
« Last Edit: November 20, 2022, 12:27:23 AM by Maksim27 »