Author Topic: Intake date code query  (Read 660 times)

Offline k-code

Intake date code query
« on: February 08, 2023, 11:42:09 PM »
My 65 k code original intake was replaced with an S2MS-9424 when I bought my car so am searching for a date code correct C5AE-9425-M.

My engine assembly date is Dec 1, 1964, stamped on the boss in front of the LH head, (and under the oil pan). The scheduled assembly date on the data plate is Dec 18th but I've found body panels stamped the same date as the scheduled date so clearly the car was built later than the scheduled date. What I'm not clear on is if the engine assembly date is short block, or long block with all components? I've read it can mean either but considering the block was stamped with 4M1A (boss) and 4M1B (under the oil pan) I'd think its a short block date?

Which leads to my question, would an intake dated 7 days after the engine date be considered correct?

Thanks,

Andy
« Last Edit: February 08, 2023, 11:57:26 PM by k-code »
Andy
65 K code coupe, Dearborn, Dec 18, '64

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Intake date code query
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2023, 12:09:24 AM »
My 65 k code original intake was replaced with an S2MS-9424 when I bought my car so am searching for a date code correct C5AE-9425-M.

My engine assembly date is Dec 1, 1964, stamped on the boss in front of the LH head, (and under the oil pan). The scheduled assembly date on the data plate is Dec 18th but I've found body panels stamped the same date as the scheduled date so clearly the car was built later than the scheduled date. What I'm not clear on is if the engine assembly date is short block, or long block with all components? I've read it can mean either but considering the block was stamped with 4M1A (boss) and 4M1B (under the oil pan) I'd think its a short block date?

Which leads to my question, would an intake dated 7 days after the engine date be considered correct?

Thanks,

Andy
This seems like a trick question because the intake casting date would have to be dated before not after the engine assembly date for the intake to even be possible to be used by the factory. The parts were typically on hand at the time of engine assembly.  How much before the engine assembly date  the intake casting date would be should be the question you need to be concerned about. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Online jwc66k

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2023, 12:16:48 AM »
- because the intake casting date would have to be dated before not after the engine assembly date
The date stamped on the left side by the distributor (and pan mounting surface) is either the actual engine assembly date, or the quality inspector's date (a topic Jeff can answer - again) which would mean that no items on the engine would be dated after that date (except distributor and possibly carburetor). The intake "should" be a week to a month before the engine assembly date.
Exceptions abound.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline k-code

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2023, 12:27:11 AM »
This seems like a trick question because the intake casting date would have to be dated before not after the engine assembly date for the intake to even be possible to be used by the factory. The parts were typically on hand at the time of engine assembly.  How much before the engine assembly date  the intake casting date would be should be the question you need to be concerned about.

Didn't intend it to be a trick question, hence my question about the engine assembly date being complete engine, or short block. If its short block assembly then for sure it's possible in periods of high demand to be waiting for components to be delivered. If it's a complete engine date, then my question is answered.

So how long before engine assembly would a correct intake date code be?

Andy

Offline k-code

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2023, 12:49:36 AM »
The date stamped on the left side by the distributor (and pan mounting surface) is either the actual engine assembly date, or the quality inspector's date (a topic Jeff can answer - again) which would mean that no items on the engine would be dated after that date (except distributor and possibly carburetor). The intake "should" be a week to a month before the engine assembly date.
Exceptions abound.
Jim

Thank-you
Andy

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2023, 01:12:32 AM »
Didn't intend it to be a trick question, hence my question about the engine assembly date being complete engine, or short block. If its short block assembly then for sure it's possible in periods of high demand to be waiting for components to be delivered. If it's a complete engine date, then my question is answered.

So how long before engine assembly would a correct intake date code be?
I discourage people from using the anything is possible defense. ;)
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Dan Case

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2023, 02:45:20 PM »

Thanks,

Andy

Andy,
Dates of engine components is not very simple. Part and assemblies were made in multiple factories and combined into engines at the Cleveland engine plant. The Cleveland plant cast the large iron pieces and built the engines.  Vehicle assembly plants were a completely different subject. I do not have any file short enough to cut and paste into tiny forum blocks but I made a cut and paste for 1963-64 intakes and 289 High Performance engines for you.

My 1963-64 table might not answer every question you might come up with about dated engine components but it might arm you with enough information to ask very specific questions. If you want a copy I will need you to get your email address to me.
Dan

Dan
1964 Cobra owner since 1983, Cobra crazy since I saw my first one in the mid 1960s in Huntsville, AL.

Offline k-code

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2023, 03:55:59 PM »

Very helpful Dan, and makes sense. I'll PM my email to you. Much appreciated.

Andy

Offline Dan Case

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2023, 06:18:11 PM »

Very helpful Dan, and makes sense. I'll PM my email to you. Much appreciated.

Email sent, if that file type doesn't work, I will try another.
Dan
1964 Cobra owner since 1983, Cobra crazy since I saw my first one in the mid 1960s in Huntsville, AL.