Author Topic: Educate me about headlamp bulbs  (Read 659 times)

Offline Countrysquire

• Houston Vapor Blasting
Educate me about headlamp bulbs
« on: February 17, 2023, 10:51:49 PM »
If I?m reading the judging standards correctly, it looks like headlamps may or may not have the FoMoCo script depending on the manufacturer. While I know one of them on my car is a replacement, I think the other might be an original GE bulb even though there is no script on the bulb. There is an ink stamp on the back saying:

MADE FOR FORD
EXTENDED LIFE

12V

GE6012

SAE H 64

6-4

So, is this an original that I should try to find a match for?

Bobby Crumpley
MCA#20316
www.houstonvaporblasting.com/

64.5 Dearborn Coupe
5F07D173***
65A M 86 20F 62 1 5

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Educate me about headlamp bulbs
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2023, 11:40:55 PM »
If I?m reading the judging standards correctly, it looks like headlamps may or may not have the FoMoCo script depending on the manufacturer. While I know one of them on my car is a replacement, I think the other might be an original GE bulb even though there is no script on the bulb. There is an ink stamp on the back saying:

MADE FOR FORD
EXTENDED LIFE

12V

GE6012

SAE H 64

6-4

So, is this an original that I should try to find a match for?
It is not the MFG as much as it is when they were used . Your 64 1/2 would not typically have the FOMOCO etched in the glass however a mid year 65 up most likely would. If you are trying to find a mate for your single bulb then most important is if it is a 1960's style wide fluted in the lens bulb and of the same MFG .The MFG is typically at the bottom in the middle. The ink stamp on the back side is not seen once mounted so a generic period matching bulb will work fine for up to trailered concours in this case. The bulbs have to match in all other aspects. General Electric(GE) ,Tung Sol (TS) and Westinghouse were bulb mfg's used depending on assemblyline plant . Westinghouse became Wagnor in the early 70's.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2023, 11:47:49 PM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2023, 11:41:35 PM »
The non-script GE ones will have GENERAL ELECTRIC along the bottom.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2023, 05:15:16 AM »
A couple of threads with supporting information. Simply found using the search with the word "headlight" though this simple single word produced allot of hits. Assign other words would have narrowed the search

https://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=1800.msg9262#msg9262

https://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=22140.msg139136#msg139136
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Countrysquire

• Houston Vapor Blasting
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2023, 08:11:22 AM »
Thanks for the replies. Sounds like this is an original bulb. The other bulb doesn?t have MADE FOR FORD on the back but the face looks identical with the same large GENERAL ELECTRIC script at the bottom, so I will use both of these and hope the keep working.

Jeff, I do always search first and almost always get my answer without posting a question. When searching for ?headlight script? it returned only four hits, which I thought was odd and should have made me realize that I needed to do a broader search.
Bobby Crumpley
MCA#20316
www.houstonvaporblasting.com/

64.5 Dearborn Coupe
5F07D173***
65A M 86 20F 62 1 5

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2023, 02:39:47 PM »
Yes I often find I need to start out with a single word then add another (different one each time) to narrow down the list. Unfortunately these search engines can't read our minds yet  ::)

A big part of mentioning using the search feature is not the poster only but all the others that read the postings and are reminded of it.  :)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)