Author Topic: 70 Tail light panel Seam Sealer  (Read 2919 times)

Offline speedgeek

70 Tail light panel Seam Sealer
« on: September 01, 2010, 12:53:18 PM »
Hi, I'm new here and I'm getting ready to paint the trunk area and my tail light panel was replaced several years ago.  When replaced a seam sealer was spread around the top above the tail light openings and down each side on the inside of the trunk.  It's about 1" wide and looks like a calking gun was used and then finished with someone's finger.  Is this consistenst with the factory.  My car is a '70 Boss 302 built in Dearborn in June, '70.  Also, was the sealer where the tail light panel meets the trunk floor sprayed along that seam?

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Mike
« Last Edit: July 01, 2018, 07:18:55 PM by J_Speegle »
70 Boss 302, 6/70 Dearborn

Offline cobrajetchris

Re: Tail light panel Seam Sealer
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2010, 12:16:25 PM »
The original seam sealer on the DEARBORN cars is along the bottom seam at the floor. I have seen a bead along the floor that was done with a typical caulking type gun. In addition they sprayed sound deadner in the inside of the quarter panels and along the floors around the bumper mounting plates. As far as the area down the sides, It might have some sound deadner overspray but not seam sealed. The original taillight panels also were brazed in at the seams were the quarter extensions joins the taillight panel (top part were the decklid would seal). There of course is always variations to this and best to try to find a original DEARBORN 70 to verify if possible. What I described is what I have found to be common. I would first do a water test on your car if possible to see if there is any leaks in the trunk area before you paint it, as leaks are also very common.
CHRIS KNOBBE
69 MUSTANG COUPE, DEARBORN BUILT 06/10/69 OWNED SINCE 1978
70 BOSS 302 MUSTANG, DEARBORN BUILT 10/24/69 OWNED SINCE 1987
69 R CODE MACH1 AUTO, DEARBORN BUILT 10/10/68 OWNED SINCE 2006
69 R CODE MACH1 4 SPEED (factory black) SAN JOSE BUILT 12/30/68 OWNED SINCE 2007

Offline speedgeek

Re: Tail light panel Seam Sealer
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2018, 11:54:16 AM »
Well, time flies.  I can not believe it's been almost 8 years since I posted this question and I still haven't finished caulking the trunk.  Life and family became a priority and the car sat.  Now the car is back on track and I have a couple of questions (and I'm sure more to come) as I prepare to paint the interior, trunk, underside and engine compartment/front-end of car. 

On a 70 Boss 302 6/70 Dearborn car should this area at the top of the tail light panel have brushed seam sealer?  Disregard the incorrect splatter paint.

Same question here where the panel meets the floor?  If correct, was it brushed since the area around the rear bumper brackets does not look like it was brushed? (last 2 pictures).  Also, does the seam sealer extend down the of the trunk drops on the inside?

« Last Edit: November 02, 2019, 10:17:33 AM by speedgeek »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 70Tail light panel Seam Sealer
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2018, 07:40:46 PM »
Looks like someone has been in there since the car was at the factory. Possibly a taillight panel replacement or some repair for some other unknown reason.

Here are some unrestored examples from late 70 Dearborn built Mustangs

As you can see comparing it to your car there was no sealant applied around the taillight panel on the sides and top

At the rear bumper bracket to floor edges a sprayed on (like around the wheel houses to trunk floor side) sealant was applied. very thick and with ripples from the application

Long the lower edge of the taillight panel to rear trunk the sealant was most often applied very neatly. Applied to the gap then wiped. On a few examples I've found where the guy applying the rear bumper bracket to floor sealant ran his applicator gun along the seams but this IMHO, at this time, this appears to more be the norm, just mentioning it

There is now an article in the library that covers these details as part of the undercarriage finishing artile you might find helpful also
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline speedgeek

Re: 70 Tail light panel Seam Sealer
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2018, 10:48:03 PM »
Jeff, thank you so much for the quick and very helpful reply.  Yes, the panel was replaced. I'm glad I removed all of the sealer from the replacement.