Author Topic: Orange Peel Exterior Paint Discussion  (Read 1597 times)

Offline jwc66k

Orange Peel Exterior Paint Discussion
« on: March 15, 2023, 12:37:14 AM »
NOTE: The following threads were split from another thread and were separated so that discussion could be continued and not take the other threads focus away in a different or multiple directions
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I'm in California. Almost all the paint today is single stage which is not what was originally used. I know of a several cars that were sent to other states to be painted.
Are you sure about this?  I thought almost all modern paints are base coat/clear coat, not single stage, which was what was used in the factory at the time.
Yeah. It's the other way around. Single stage was a paint process used on almost all cars companies in the 60s, 70s and 80s. California smog laws made it illegal here. Two stage, the base and clear coat, are what is used today. I don't know what other states' regulations are.
The painting "trick" to remember and do in this day and age to be acceptable to MCA rules, is to have who ever paints your car to "create" some "orange peel" on the car. Painters like to sand it out. Tell them NO. For a Fastback, the best place to "show" orange peel is on the roof along side the rear window above the vents on a 65. A 3 x 3 inch patch should be enough to satisfy judges. Hardtops "orange peel" places are sort of in the same place, but behind the rear window on the vertical panel. Convertibles are best displayed on the piece in front of the trunk lid, behind the chrome strip for the top. Do both sides in any case.
Jim

« Last Edit: March 18, 2023, 06:51:38 PM by J_Speegle »
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Orange Peel Exterior Paint Discussion
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2023, 10:48:42 PM »
.... A 3 x 3 inch patch should be enough to satisfy judges. Hardtops "orange peel" places are sort of in the same place, but behind the rear window on the vertical panel..................

Don't believe that you will find this a good guide for current judging. Especially ones that are also painters or shop owners. Just sharing what I've witnessed, observed and taken part in.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2023, 06:51:47 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2023, 12:11:04 AM »
A 3 x 3 inch patch should be enough to satisfy judges. Hardtops "orange peel" places are sort of in the same place, but behind the rear window on the vertical panel.
Don't believe that you will find this a good guide for current judging. Especially ones that are also painters or shop owners. Just sharing what I've witnessed, observed and taken part in.
A rather ambiguous statement. Do you recommend less "orange peel"? Or do you recommend more and/or larger areas and in different places on the car? The bottom line is you want "orange peel".
Jim
« Last Edit: March 18, 2023, 06:51:56 PM by J_Speegle »
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2023, 12:23:25 AM »
A rather ambiguous statement. Do you recommend less "orange peel"? Or do you recommend more and/or larger areas and in different places on the car? The bottom line is you want "orange peel".
Jim

There are panels that naturally allowed for the forming of the orange peel look while others were less likely in production vehicles like we're discussing. Have heard from a fair number that especially on really nice/well restored cars that they are looking for a consistent orange peel in areas where you would expect to see it across the panels. This is different from how some of us judged in the earlier decades when we just wanted to find some evidence - or could be referred to as the "sacrificial" area of the car. When I have the clip board and judging forms I would sometimes use that to highlight the effect by focusing on the straights lines in the reflect of either of those tow surfaces.

Believe this picture or another one from the same car has been shared before

Back to the OPs focus and needs :)
« Last Edit: March 18, 2023, 06:52:04 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2023, 03:11:14 PM »
There are panels that naturally allowed for the forming of the orange peel look while others were less likely in production vehicles like we're discussing. Have heard from a fair number that especially on really nice/well restored cars that they are looking for a consistent orange peel in areas where you would expect to see it across the panels. This is different from how some of us judged in the earlier decades when we just wanted to find some evidence - or could be referred to as the "sacrificial" area of the car. When I have the clip board and judging forms I would sometimes use that to highlight the effect by focusing on the straights lines in the reflect of either of those tow surfaces.

I looked at the 2019 MCA judging rules (the latest version I have) for 64-66 and it says you got to have Orange Peel. The most significant part of the rule says "- orange peel throughout -" which means "a lot" (yes, it is two words). It is subjective.
On the other hand, how much "orange peel" was present on any of the 65-66 Shelby GT-350s and GT-350Hs that have sold in the $250,000 and up range? It's a "balance". Do you, the car owner, MCA member and possible future seller of your Mustang, including Shelbys, want to be listed in the Gold Award section, or do you want to have to explain to a potential buyer, or even a casual admirer, that "Orange peel is OK"?
Jim
« Last Edit: March 18, 2023, 06:52:15 PM by J_Speegle »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2023, 04:56:48 PM »
.................On the other hand, how much "orange peel" was present on any of the 65-66 Shelby GT-350s and GT-350Hs that have sold in the $250,000 and up range? It's a "balance". Do you, the car owner, MCA member and possible future seller of your Mustang, including Shelbys, want to be listed in the Gold Award section, or do you want to have to explain to a potential buyer, or even a casual admirer, that "Orange peel is OK"?

As far as how many high dollar cars sell with or without orange peel I believe you will find examples of both. From my observations allot of the higher valued cars do have it and the builders and owners are proud of that feature and do take the time to inform others of the practice as we do here and on other sites.

Think your two examples are representing the same thing rather than opposite.

To be a "Gold Award" (unless there are deductions for not having any/enough) one would expect to see orange peel and most due either out of their dedication and focus or so they don't lose points if they show the car.

The explaining features and details is just part of owning and displaying cars.  No different that fielding question line "how come you sprayed all that ugly undercoating on the firewall?" "How come your undercarriage/floor have all that nasty overspray and why didn't you mask it off neatly" as well as many others most of us have experienced.

Jim. Do you think we need to split the topic or has the orange peel discussion run its course? :)

« Last Edit: March 18, 2023, 06:52:24 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline jtfx6552

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2023, 11:29:25 AM »

That looks like more orange peel than I've ever seen on a factory paint job. Just my opinion. I had a 65 mustang since new, and the factory paint was pretty flat, flat as in not much peel, not flat as in no gloss.

IMHO, the best you can get out of the gun without cutting and buffing will leave some peel, and that should be enough.
1965 Mustang Fastback, October 29, 1964 Dearborn Build, In the family since new.