Author Topic: 65 fastback K code  (Read 699 times)

Offline truetriplex

65 fastback K code
« on: March 29, 2023, 11:54:19 AM »
I am looking at a 65 fastback K code and have some concerns. the vehicle VIN is 5F09K749605. I am having a difficult time determining if the block is original and is a K code block.  Does anyone know of this car b the VIN or any history.  I did see that it went thru Mecum, but nothing since then.  I just don't know if any registrys exist on early K code cars.  any help would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2023, 12:00:03 PM by truetriplex »

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
Re: 65 fastback K code
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2023, 12:03:26 PM »
https://hipo-mustang.com/

this site may be of help.
5F09C331248

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2023, 01:06:36 PM »
I am looking at a 65 fastback K code and have some concerns. the vehicle VIN is 5F09K749605. I am having a difficult time determining if the block is original and is a K code block.  Does anyone know of this car b the VIN or any history.  I did see that it went thru Mecum, but nothing since then.  I just don't know if any registrys exist on early K code cars.  any help would be appreciated.
It seems like you don't know where to start so here are some rudimentary tips. Registry information is going to only be so helpful. To determine if the block is original and is a K code block look at the casting codes and date codes first to see if it is even possible to be the original engine. Look to see if it has the cars VIN on the passenger side of block towards the front where the pan meets the block . Some times it is light and paint can obscure it so that may need to be scraped away. If the the vin can not be located and even if the dates line up you will have to drop the oil pan to determine beyond a doubt if a hipo block or not. The main caps are the big difference. Of course you need to do preliminary research so you know where to look , how to decipher date code sequences , and familiarize yourself with the differences between hipo main caps and non hipo along with other hipo engine unique details.  The information you need can be gleaned from sources on this forum and other online sources.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2023, 01:23:46 PM »
The VIN you referenced does not appear in either the "Mustang Production Guide, Vol 1" or "The 289 High Performance Mustang", but the VIN does give an important clue about the block. The VINs of Mustangs built around you were scheduled to be built in early June, 1965. The common date was 07T, a Monday. You should verify this from the door data tag. From that date code you can determine is an engine NOT the original quickly. If the date code on the block is AFTER that scheduled date, it's probable not original. If that date code is more than three months prior, the same, probably not original. See the attachments. That date code "reads" 5H23Z - Year (a single number, 5 = 1965), Month (a single letter, H = August), the day of that month (one or two numbers) and a single letter, the inspector's code (or assembler's code). Yours should read 5SddI (or close to that like 5S11B). (The letter "S" indicated May, the letter "R" is April.) That's the easy one.
The actual VIN MUST be stamped on the engine block on the right hand front side, above the oil pan, below where the battery ground cable is attached. It is hand stamped into the block so the letters and numbers may not line up.
Let us know.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2023, 06:33:09 PM »
Your not going to be able to confirm if the engine was originally a K code for certain but you can at least eliminate some of the concerns to some extent but that will include disassembly to gather all of the information and clues

Unfortunately VINs and assembly dates can be altered or added. Its going to be allot about your comfort level like so many things.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)