Author Topic: Numbers Correct Drive train  (Read 872 times)

Offline 1980 Georgia Tech GJC

Numbers Correct Drive train
« on: April 15, 2023, 08:56:16 PM »
I purchased a 1965 Fastback in August 1980 (VIN 5F09K303882)(Warranty/Door Tag 63A 3 26 29J 23 8 5).  The car is now, just, undergoing restoration.

While the Title, VIN in multiple locations and Door Tag all match up, the block does not have a VIN tag stamp that I can find.  The engine internals and all the Part Numbers are consistent with HP 289. I'd like get a read on if the date codes suggest that this might have been put together out of parts:

Scheduled Build Date:              29 Sept., 1964
Engine Assemble:                       7 Oct., 1964
Block Casing:                           22 Sept., 1964 (everything checks out internally, including standard bore HP Pistons, rods, main Bearings and hatchet gear)
Heads:                                      3 Aug., 1964
                                               21 July., 1964
Intake Manifold:                        17 Aug., 1964
Exhaust Manifolds:                    10 Aug., 1964 and a date I can not read
Timing Chain Cover:                  Sept., 1964
Water Pump:                             Oct., 1964
Harm. Damper:                         Sept., 1964
Trans. Main Housing:                 12 Aug., 1964
Tail Housing:                             25 Sept., 1964
9" Rear End:                             3rd Week, Sept., 1964
Steering Box:                            7 Oct., 1964
Master Cylinder:                        1 Aug., 1964
Proportioning. Valve:                  25 Aug., 1964 ( Kelsey Hayes Disc brakes)

The carb was changes to a manual choke Holley 600, the distributor is a replacement dual point and the fuel pump is aftermarket.  I have suitable part numbers items for the distributor and fuel pump. Need to search the old family home for the carb, which I think was in the trunk when I bought it.

The questions are:  Should I be concerned that the engine assemble date was after the SBD?  Is there anything to suggest that because these casing/part date codes are all over the map that this drive chain is not original?  Any other ways to know this is a number matching car?

Would love your input.  You all have been so helpful previously.

GJC

« Last Edit: April 15, 2023, 09:11:38 PM by carlite65 »

Offline mgmradio

• Global Moderator
Re: Numbers Correct Drive train
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2023, 12:14:28 PM »
I would not be worried about it with those build dates. The scheduled build dat is just that and can be off by a few days or weeks and in some cases over a month. Look at all the dates on the sheet metal parts that are original to the car and see how they line up with the rest of the dates. On my unrestored cars I?ve found that the latest dates have been on the hood hinges, steering box and seats in most cases.
Formerly the MCA ANHJ 64.5-66!

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2023, 12:28:53 PM »
Thank-you!  The steering box is the same day as the assembly date.  I'll start checking sheet metal.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2023, 06:56:43 PM »
Thank-you!  The steering box is the same day as the assembly date.  I'll start checking sheet metal.

Think that is "the same day as Ford/the plant guessed the car was going to be built" ;)  Could be off as much as 3 weeks based on other car records

The only "close date" appears to be the assembly date and the water pump date. Both being the same month but since the water pump casting does not identify a specific day of month don't think there is any thing that shows that it could not be correct for the engine

For my records the rear end date and the steering box are from the ID tags?  Not the casting dates?

Have others in the same time period and same plant that have dates within days of your dates on some items

Thanks
« Last Edit: April 19, 2023, 07:12:42 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2023, 10:31:38 PM »

Pretty safe to say your car was not built on the projected/scheduled date... most likely a week or more later.  It would take inspecting every date stamp that could be found to possibly get a better idea.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2023, 12:25:14 PM »
This is to confirm that the dates for the rear end and Steering box are taken from the ID Plates.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2023, 07:25:44 PM »
This is to confirm that the dates for the rear end and Steering box are taken from the ID Plates.

Thanks you
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)