Author Topic: Headliner color with Palomino Interior  (Read 693 times)

Offline wunderwerks

Headliner color with Palomino Interior
« on: December 11, 2023, 09:23:30 PM »
I searched prior listings on the subject and could not find a definitive answer.  Missing door tag doesn't help on this new acquisition.   Exterior color is vintage burgundy and the basic trim is palomino.  I need to replace the headliner.  Palomino is not listed in the parts catalogs. Does that mean that parchment is the correct color with this interior?
64.5 Cpe. Poppy Red 5F07D 23G
64.5 Conv. Bright Cherry Sparkle 5F08F 16F
65 2 + 2 Caspian Blue 5F09K  23K

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Headliner color with Palomino Interior
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2023, 06:33:42 PM »
So you believe that your car's interior code would have been 89  or 29? Just clarifying do we can search for matches
« Last Edit: December 12, 2023, 08:45:18 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2023, 08:02:42 PM »
I searched prior listings on the subject and could not find a definitive answer.  Missing door tag doesn't help on this new acquisition.   Exterior color is vintage burgundy and the basic trim is palomino.  I need to replace the headliner.  Palomino is not listed in the parts catalogs. Does that mean that parchment is the correct color with this interior?
How about a partial VIN? That "may" help.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2023, 09:08:38 PM »
As a clue there one or more pictures of the color in the pictures of a Fall 64 coupe with the 29 interior code in the Unrestored Picture Thread section. Look for "Fall 64 Built Dearborn A Code Coupe - Unrestored Picture Thread" thread.  I-13 labeled picture especially

It shows a much lighter than the surrounding palomino painted parts shown.

A couple of other examples but be warned (as we always do) that colors can look very different in person verse on your computer screen

Not certain this is an original

And a different unrestored example

Jeff Speegle

Offline wunderwerks

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2023, 09:32:50 AM »
Based on the VIN 142548 it is estimated to be a Sep. 30, '64 assembly date. This would throw it into an early '65 production. It has 64.5 headlight buckets, hood and an Eaton PS pump.  Thanks for the pictures.  The came through well and sure look like parchment.  I will have to run with that assumption until I pull the windshield, back glass and windlace to pull the old headline out. 

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2023, 04:55:59 PM »
......... I will have to run with that assumption until I pull the windshield, back glass and windlace to pull the old headline out.

If there is still some under the windlacing that would have likely been a great place to start for comparison
Jeff Speegle

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2023, 12:05:53 AM »
Based on the VIN 142548 it is estimated to be a Sep. 30, '64 assembly date.
How about a partial VIN? That "may" help.
When a "partial" VIN is requested is should have year, plant and body style (plus some other stuff) to determine an accurate response. The format should have been sort of like this - 5R07x123XXX. Your response was 142548 which I had to do some "digging" to determine your Mustang was a San Jose Build (I still got three). Here's part of the problem -
Note the red arrows -
Certain paint codes, deluxe interior, had a white headliner. Standard interior Mustangs had "matching" headliners. Exceptions were normal.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline wunderwerks

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2023, 07:30:08 PM »
Jim,
5R09A is what you are needing.  Is there a difference in interior trim between assembly plants on any given time period? With the vintage burgundy exterior, I thought that all assembly plants would be identical with basic palomino interior.
Rich

Offline wunderwerks

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2023, 07:34:42 PM »
Jim
I guess a better question on my part is what differences do I need to look for to determine the right trim code?
Rich

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2023, 08:40:43 PM »
5R09A is what you are needing.
I figured out most of that (I got a 5R09A219xxx in my garage, GT, std interior).
Is there a difference in interior trim between assembly plants on any given time period?
There may be, which is why you should include the partial VIN in a question.
With the vintage burgundy exterior, I thought that all assembly plants would be identical with basic palomino interior.
See above. There is also availability. I had a 66 Fastback with red interior (code 25) and it was "two tone".
I guess a better question on my part is what differences do I need to look for to determine the right trim code?
As you initially stated, you did not have a door data tag. Without that, you need to look in "odd" places for clues. It seems that 89 was the "determined code". The chart in the previous post is from a 1989 book "How To Restore Your Mustang" by Larry Dobbs and Donald Farr. There are others.
Jim

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2023, 09:13:59 PM »
Jim,
5R09A is what you are needing. Is there a difference in interior trim between assembly plants on any given time period? With the vintage burgundy exterior, I thought that all assembly plants would be identical with basic palomino interior.
Rich

There could be but not aware of a specific different I'm aware of for your car's year, plant and production period related to that interior.  Only aware of a few short odd periods where it appears a supply issue resulted in oddities for a short period of production for a specific interior code or related codes. Standard and deluxe interior for example
Jeff Speegle