Author Topic: 1970 Shelby slop Gray pictures.  (Read 621 times)

Offline Chappy12

1970 Shelby slop Gray pictures.
« on: January 30, 2024, 09:53:18 AM »
I have a 1970 Shelby GT500 and am finishing the underside of the car. I am looking for pictures of the underside of one that is up to concours standards so I know where to paint the Slop Gray. Pictures are worth a thousand words. Thanks

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 1970 Shelby slop Gray pictures.
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2024, 06:57:47 PM »
First welcome to the site. Hope you find the support and information you need to help you with your restoration project.

I have a 1970 Shelby GT500 and am finishing the underside of the car. I am looking for pictures of the underside of one that is up to concourse standards so I know where to paint the Slop Gray. Pictures are worth a thousand words. Thanks

First personally I don't save many pictures of pretty restored cars because you never know where they got their information from (often not from the specific car) or if they just chose something they thought looked nice or cool. 69 guys do this allot since some rules allow for non-factory finishes without regard to what was originally applied to cars.

Guess you don't have any of the original color to use for a match from the firewall rearward on the car. Is that correct ? Or was their just enough to determine that the original color was not a red oxide paint version.  Would really help to know when the car was completed at Dearborn especially since it was VINed as a 70

Lots of variations between production periods and even week to week but not as bad as 1970-73

Guess you have already read the article in the Library on 69 Dearborn undercarriages?

Also did you try the search feature.? I used the words "batch paint" and found a couple of 69 Dearborn and 69 Shelby threads on the subject with pictures

Give that a try. Will likely merge this thread and one of those in a day or so. :) to keep all of these together

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Chappy12

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2024, 08:08:03 AM »
Thanks for the in put and i will look those other threads up.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2024, 03:46:04 PM »
Thing this one has the most pictures and some grouping by very rough production periods

https://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=25033.0

« Last Edit: February 01, 2024, 02:13:10 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline RoyceP

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2024, 07:12:35 PM »
I have a 1970 Shelby GT500 and am finishing the underside of the car. I am looking for pictures of the underside of one that is up to concours standards so I know where to paint the Slop Gray. Pictures are worth a thousand words. Thanks

I like Jim's answer a lot.

"[size=78%]Everybody seems to miss the "why". In this time period, and in another money saving policy, Ford mixed leftover batches of paint together to make "primer". The colors probably varied daily if not hourly. In effect, there is no "correct" color. That's why there is no specific color you can find.[/size]Remember, Ford was not building concourse grade cars.Jim"
1968 W code 427 Cougar XR-7 GTE Feb 23 Dearborn C6 / 3.50 open
1968 R code 428CJ Cougar XR-7 May 13 Dearborn C6 / 3.91 T - Lock

Offline AJ

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2024, 09:53:34 AM »
Fwiw the original slop on my late feb dearborn was nearly indistinguishable from the grey of my craftsman tool chest.   
Adrian Jacobs
70 Boss 302  Dearborn, 11/22/69, original calypso paint,  original family ownership.
70 GT500 , 02/26/69, a/c auto, candy red

Offline SCJ3126

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2024, 11:15:39 AM »
This is a picture of the unrestored partial undercarriage of my 1970 GT500 showing a variation of the slop grey.  The car was built in June 1969.

Mike
Mike
1970 GT500, comp red, SCJ, 4-speed, built 6-11-69

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2024, 02:30:09 PM »
This is a picture of the unrestored partial undercarriage of my 1970 GT500 showing a variation of the slop grey.  The car was built in June 1969.

Mike

Thanks for adding another example. Think the true color of the first coat is the area inside the bucket seat plug hole.  Maybe its just the lighting on the floor area that is washing out the look

Jeff Speegle

Offline SCJ3126

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2024, 03:59:27 PM »
Yep!  Thanks Jeff.  Here is a picture that is a better representation of the color.  It is the unrestored inside of the bucket seat plug hole.

Mike
Mike
1970 GT500, comp red, SCJ, 4-speed, built 6-11-69

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2024, 05:45:05 PM »
Yep!  Thanks Jeff.  Here is a picture that is a better representation of the color.  It is the unrestored inside of the bucket seat plug hole.

Mike
That sample falls within the most common variation seen range IMO. With that said it could be lighter or darker, slight metallic etc. etc. on other cars. The batches changed all of the time so it is hard to pin down what is right and what is wrong other then if something is far outside the typical range that can be identified as wrong. One car on a given day may have one color /shade and the next sequential car after changing batches or having more waste paint added to the pot give a completely different shade. If you have a original sample you are lucky. Be sure to document it . If the original sample you are copying is unusual like maroon or similar it is especially important to document.  For those that don't have a sample to go by there are many samples out there to copy. I would not copy a out of the ordinary sample unless it was found on your specific car . It would be hard to prove you got it wrong unless it was one of those out of the ordinary shades and you didn't have documentation that it came from your specific car.     
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2024, 06:42:49 PM »
Just as a reminder I did post in another thread a decent IMHO starting point for the batch or slop gray with the color code.  It was/is a VW color. Typical (for those periods) for 68 and 69 medium to dark gray with a tint towards green or blue slightly. Just have then add a little of one of those to cover a bit of the variations.
Jeff Speegle