Author Topic: PS pump pulley install  (Read 2666 times)

Offline 68 S Code

PS pump pulley install
« on: June 12, 2011, 10:28:38 PM »
Pump and pulley is ready to become a unit. Don't remember which side faces out on the pulley. Is the pulley within a pulley (like a double washer) face out or is the single thick washer the one facing out. If it's the later then the stamped characters will all be hidden. Looked at a CJ pump I have and another which is unknown and the pulleys are opposite of each other so no help.

Offline ruppstang

Re: PS pump pulley install
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2011, 10:56:09 PM »
The small pulling knob is out as well as the AC -AD -AF or what ever one you have.

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2011, 09:33:48 AM »
So the way I understand the response I should have the double washer (pulley within a pulley) and the stamping which is 6AA and S facing out. Please confirm.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2011, 10:11:10 AM »
So the way I understand the response I should have the double washer (pulley within a pulley) and the stamping which is 6AA and S facing out. Please confirm.
Yes. Bob
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2011, 10:42:21 AM »
Bob, Thanks. This is the face I will have pointing out.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2011, 04:44:37 PM »
Bob, Thanks. This is the face I will have pointing out.
Yes that is correct. Just remember the function of the protruding portion in the front is used to pull the pulley off and with out it out front you would have a hard time getting the pulley off without damage. There is a preferred tool for the installation as well . It threads into the nose of the shaft and draws the pulley and the shaft together (with the help of a free spinning bearing) in a even motion. It would be best to use something like this to install your pulley. I got mine from east wood but harbor freight or other sources or even tool rental . I hope this helps.Bob
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2011, 09:26:26 PM »
Yes I saw the tool last week but the threads were kind of rusty and we couldn't get a bolt to work. It seemed a 3/8" was too big and a 5/16 was too small. So I had to leave without installing it. Poured evaporust down the snoot and its about as clean as its going to be after 3 days. I will try to drop it off at a local place to see if their tool works. From what i saw you can make a tool to do the job from parts bought at local hardware store. One bolt, 1 big washer, two nuts and a bearing which is all available at the local Ace hardware store. Thread pitch has me somewhat concerned though. Seemed like it could be odd ball.

Offline 1970 SCJ

• Silver Level Subscriber
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2011, 11:24:18 PM »
The install tool has a 3/8" shaft with a 16 pitch thread.

Don

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2011, 12:25:11 AM »
Thank you. Is that pitch standard on a coarse thread bolt?

Offline 1970 SCJ

• Silver Level Subscriber
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2011, 07:31:15 PM »
Yes

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2011, 10:40:31 PM »
Then we will give it a try tomorrow. Thanks.

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2011, 12:33:23 AM »
Bob, Marty and 1970 SCJ thanks for the help. Done. Evaporust cleaned out the threads well enough to fit the bolt in. Thanks.