Author Topic: campaign for group 22 battery  (Read 4009 times)

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
campaign for group 22 battery
« on: October 09, 2011, 11:22:52 PM »
i have been provided a link to the current manufacturer of the group 24 batteries   https://shop.turbostart.com/contactus.sc lets email them and ask if they would be willing to make us a 22 battery. if enough requests come in i hope they would show some interest.
5F09C331248

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: campaign for group 22 battery
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2011, 11:57:41 PM »
i have been provided a link to the current manufacturer of the group 24 batteries   https://shop.turbostart.com/contactus.sc lets email them and ask if they would be willing to make us a 22 battery. if enough requests come in i hope they would show some interest.
You need to specify the 65-67 style or the 68-70 style ;) . You might as well make them look correct unlike the current repro in a 65-67 car which isn't. Bob
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 64rustang

• Holland Patent, NY
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2011, 03:54:08 PM »
I sent an email asking about the possibility of correcting the "replacement" battery with an "assembly line" battery.  I received a nice reply from them.  They asked if I could send the photos I had mentioned in my initial contact.  We've all complained about the incorrect battery to each other.  Maybe everyone should let the manufacturers know there is a demand...  If the manufacturers see a demand, they would be more likely to produce the product. 
BODY  COLOR   TRIM    DATE   DSO   AXLE  TRAN
 65A        D        46       27E      22       3        6
VEHICLE WARRANTY NUMBER
5F07U148XXX

Offline Brant

• Virginia Classic Mustang Inc
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2011, 07:13:03 PM »
I sent an email asking about the possibility of correcting the "replacement" battery with an "assembly line" battery.  I received a nice reply from them.  They asked if I could send the photos I had mentioned in my initial contact.  We've all complained about the incorrect battery to each other.  Maybe everyone should let the manufacturers know there is a demand...  If the manufacturers see a demand, they would be more likely to produce the product.

This brings up another issue.  Does anyone have an original assembly line battery...Group 22 or 24-particularly for a 65-66? 

If not, any detailed pictures?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2011, 07:32:48 PM »
This brings up another issue.  Does anyone have an original assembly line battery...Group 22 or 24-particularly for a 65-66? 

If not, any detailed pictures?

Pictures????? Of course.  Don't have a battery but have a friend that is going to let me use on when the time comes for the wife's car ;)

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2011, 07:40:01 PM »

I had the same conversation with the owner of one of the companies that makes a repro Autolite.  Got the same response.  Sent them several pictures, never heard a thing afterward.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2011, 11:44:27 PM »
Pictures????? Of course.  Don't have a battery but have a friend that is going to let me use on when the time comes for the wife's car ;)

Jeff, typically the Autolite is not painted on the 65-67 assemblyline batteries from what I have seen. I am skeptical that the the battery in the picture came with the red caps or painted Autolite originally. All of the 65-67  22F assembly batteries I've seen had the yellow caps .It seems if they needed a higher capacity battery they used the 24 F version.   I have only seen the 1969 22F service replacement batteries with red caps. The 65-67 assemblyline 24 F batteries came with yellow cap on the base battery and red caps on the heavy duty 24F version. I have both a 22F and 24 F 65-67 assemblyline battery in my collection. Bob
« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 11:53:52 PM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2011, 05:53:35 PM »
Know there has been an ongoing discussion and effort to better understand what was going on in relationship to assembly line, early service replacements and later NOS ones. Would not surprise me if the caps were swapped on this particular example given when the battery was used for a show car and the expectations at that time.

The side printing is an interesting discussion topic - the vast majority of the service replacements I have picture of have un-highlighted side printing so I'm still searching for answers as we all are.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 06:01:02 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)