Author Topic: Driveshaft - April 65 Dearborn K Code  (Read 2413 times)

Offline cobraboy

Driveshaft - April 65 Dearborn K Code
« on: November 27, 2011, 07:15:01 AM »
Hi Guys
I am getting in a right old muddle over my driveshaft.
Please tell me the folowing info for car in sig pic.
1. Front joint. Should this be an inner lock or an outer lock ? I have a joint at the moment that has innerlocks on both the shaft and slipyoke joints, with 1"caps.
Please tell me the CORRECT joint number, ie 1260, 1310 etc, and if poss the number for the joint I have.
2. Rear joint. I think this is correct as it has 1" outerlock caps on the shaft, and 1 1/8" caps on the yoke. What is the joint number for this please ?.
3. What is the length of the correct slipyoke, from the centre of the joint - to the tip of the slipyoke.
4. What is the correct length of the shaft from joint ctr to joint ctr ?.
Sorry for so many questions.
Mark
« Last Edit: May 17, 2020, 11:27:12 PM by J_Speegle »
13th April 1965 Dearborn K GT on the other side of the pond.

Offline flyingfred

Re: Driveshaft
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2011, 12:58:53 PM »
Mark, I will check this out when I return home later today as all of my books are there.

-Fred-

Offline cobraboy

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2011, 03:51:36 PM »
Ok
Anyone else with a scheduled build date near mine have any ideas on this ?
I see on Jacks Dead nuts site the shafts he pictures have outerlocks both ends, but he does not show a '65 K shaft.
I know of another K car, same plant, same spec built 8 days later that has innerlocks on both ends, and the shaft is 99% original to the car.
So is this a case of the book says one thing, and like the HEH-T / BX scenario the truth lies somewhere different ?
Or were there multiple suppliers, and each had their own joint setup ?
Thanks

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2011, 04:30:29 PM »
Most '65 K codes had the outer lock u-joints.  Try contacting Jack, he might have more info to share as far as samples he has seen.  I know the original one I took off a Feb '65 San Jose K code had outer locks.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline cobraboy

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2011, 05:32:41 AM »
Have emailed Jack. Athough he has not replied directly yet, he has now included K code driveshaft info on his site.
His feelings are MOST shafts had outerlock joints.
Having done many hours of research I think I have found that both inner and outerlock joints were used.
The slipyoke for outerlock joints = C3AZ-4841-D with front joint C3AZ-4635-E , 1260 Dana
The slipyoke for  innerlock joints = C5DZ-4841-B with front joint C5DZ-4635-B, 1260 Mechanics
The rear joint = C3AZ-4635-D , 1310 big cap outerlock.
I would welcome any input to help confirm.
Mark