Author Topic: 6 cylinder valve cover clip  (Read 2554 times)

Offline jwc66k

6 cylinder valve cover clip
« on: December 13, 2011, 05:46:50 PM »
I had done a lot of searching for a replacement hose for my restoration and some original examples but they are far and few between. As I looked through catalogs I was always seeing the V8 hoses with an ink stamp. Using the MPC I guess I was just trying to recreate what the replacement hose would have looked like. I don't have any examples to back it up, but intent was not to mislead anyone either.
For the exhaust I was trying to recreate how the painted engine would have looked and I believe the blue overspray is correct. The clip was the hardest thing to find It took me about 1 year and half to locate one. it was in great shape with the phosphate finish still intact. Here's another pic of the clip. Don't want to heist Sparky65's thread so will post more pics under a new topic.
Dave

Here's some documentation on the clips, p/n 380726-S100, as found in the "Ford Standard and Utility Parts Catalog, July 1966" on page 32, plus a picture I took of some I've cleaned up. As the clips are most likely spring steel, I would believe the "-S100" refers to a hardening process documented on the engineering drawing, and the finish would be a more flat dark grey vs a shiny black.
Jim
Taking a closer look, the drawing shows a bend outward on the RH side and my samples have a bend inward. The drawing also appears to have a tab before the outward bend. Also the tab on the LH side is bent inward at a 90 deg angle and the samples are straight. This may be a case of two different designs for the same part and they may be interchangable.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 07:49:03 PM by jwc66k »
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline sparky65

Re: 6 cylinder valve cover clip
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2011, 06:45:07 PM »
Maybe the moderators can split the 6cyl clip discussion into a new topic.  I would like to post pictures of my clip and discuss further
Steve
1967 Pebble Beige  I6 Coupe built in Metuchen on Oct 26, 1966.
2009 Black GT Coupe

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2011, 08:03:59 PM »
Maybe the moderators can split the 6cyl clip discussion into a new topic.  I would like to post pictures of my clip and discuss further

Hope that works for you...
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline sparky65

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2011, 10:11:28 PM »
That works thanks.  :)

Taking a closer look, the drawing shows a bend outward on the RH side and my samples have a bend inward. The drawing also appears to have a tab before the outward bend. Also the tab on the LH side is bent inward at a 90 deg angle and the samples are straight. This may be a case of two different designs for the same part and they may be interchangable.

Jim,

The one in your drawing looks closer to mine.

The reproductions Ive seen are like the samples you have.  Your samples look more robust in that you dont have to worry about the tab braking off like mine did.  I wonder if yours are a later version?  A result of an engineering change.  Mine is from my October built 67. Do you know where yours came from?
Like I said before I am quite sure mine was painted black although it had been painted over so not quite sure.  I wonder if the finish changed with the styles as well?  Can anyone else confirm the original finish on there clip?
Steve
2009 Black GT Coupe

Offline 66silverblue

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2012, 02:57:34 PM »
Where can I get one of these?

Offline sparky65

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2012, 03:19:24 PM »
I dont know.  Ive been looking through those piles of miscellaneous pieces at swap meets hoping to find one and so far no luck.
Steve
2009 Black GT Coupe