Author Topic: 9" rear end housing  (Read 2597 times)

Offline mach1one

9" rear end housing
« on: January 02, 2010, 01:07:29 PM »
I have seen a yellow stripe painted around the far end of a 9" rear end housing. Is this correct. The car in question was a 3/69 build deaborn car Thanks

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 9" rear end housing
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2010, 11:51:06 PM »
I have seen this mark on a fair number of 69 9" rearends and consider it one of the "normal" or typical ones. The problem IMHO is apply it is that its been found at the drivers end or the passenger end. Don't know why as I thought originally it was an orientation mark.

If I was suggesting I would suggest (given your specific application) placing a yellow mark /stripe all the way around the end of the rear end housing (basically where its welded to the flange) using a brush. This should be done with the rear end sitting up right on the drivers side flange (or moved to that orientation right after application) so that runs flow towards the drivers end of the housing
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline mach1one

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2010, 05:31:00 PM »
Are these yellow markings found on 70 rearend housings. specifically dearborn 10/69 build Thanks Lu

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2010, 11:54:39 PM »
Are these yellow markings found on 70 rearend housings. specifically dearborn 10/69 build Thanks Lu

Never seen one on a car like that
Jeff Speegle

Offline mach1one

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2010, 12:50:26 AM »
so the yellow paint thing around rear axle housing is specific to 1969. Is it even more specific to plant Thanks Lu

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2010, 12:58:11 AM »
so the yellow paint thing around rear axle housing is specific to 1969. Is it even more specific to plant Thanks Lu

Seen it on original San Jose and Dearborn cars so far. Since all the plants were supplied from the same rear end plant I would suspect that 96% of the markings were not plant speicific
Jeff Speegle