Author Topic: Jacks - General Discussion Across 64-73  (Read 22881 times)

Offline sparky65

Jacks - General Discussion Across 64-73
« on: July 07, 2012, 04:20:16 PM »
From everything I've read it sounds like the screw and washers in the jack should not be painted.  Well I just started to wipe mine down with degreaser and I found paint on the screw.  From looking at it everything seems original.  It still has the sticker on it.  Also the paint has runs and bubbles like it was dipped and no obvious signs it was repainted.  Could it possibly be the wrong jack?  The only marking I see is an 'RH' on the top and a '2' stamped in the side.

Steve
1967 Pebble Beige  I6 Coupe built in Metuchen on Oct 26, 1966.
2009 Black GT Coupe

Offline Oz390

Re: Jacks - General Discussion Across 64-73
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 04:48:13 AM »
Can't answer, but interested in a reply.  I have 3 or 4 jacks, one as yours, one without the "flip top" W sheaed piece and a notch instead, and a couple others. 

Wondering if anyone knows a site with photos of correct 65-68 jacks as it appers they may have varied slightly... or a lot of simialr repros/service units were made a long time ago...
8R03S : 76A I 2A 15M 72 5 U
8R01S : 65A B 2A 28M 72 7 5 - Factory GT
8R01C : 65A M 2A 01E 72 2 W - Cal Special
8F01X : 65A I 2A 2G 20E 24 1 U - EXP500 repli-bute

Offline Anghelrestorations

• Anghel Restorations
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 10:44:08 AM »

What you have here is a correct jack for a 1967, and yes the entire assembly was not painted.  The screw and washers would not be painted.  I've done all the research on correct jacks and handles for 64.5 thru 1978 and this is one of the three style jacks made from one of the three suppliers during that time. 
If you look closely on the outside arms you may be able to find the date code.  If you are not sure where to look I can post some photos.  On some of them you have to look very close to see the stampings.
Marcus Anghel
MCA National Gold Card Judge, 69-71 Mustang
SAAC National Head Judge, Boss Mustangs

www.anghelrestorations.com
www.facebook.com/anghelrestorations
www.instagram.com/anghelrestorations

Offline krelboyne

• West Coast Classic Cougars
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 01:23:32 PM »
What you have here is a correct jack for a 1967, and yes the entire assembly was not painted.  The screw and washers would not be painted.  I've done all the research on correct jacks and handles for 64.5 thru 1978 and this is one of the three style jacks made from one of the three suppliers during that time. 
If you look closely on the outside arms you may be able to find the date code.  If you are not sure where to look I can post some photos.  On some of them you have to look very close to see the stampings.

Some or all of the 1967 jacks had course threads.
Scott Behncke - Carcheaologist
West Coast Classic Cougars
503-463-1130
1968 GT/CS 302-4V San Jose 05B
1968 Cougar XR7 Dearborn 09A

• Anghel Restorations
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2012, 05:05:46 PM »
Actually the coarse threads are only specfic to one vendor and was used all during these years.  I have plenty of examples that show both fine and coarse with date code stamps for 1967. 
Marcus Anghel

Offline sparky65

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2012, 06:44:01 PM »
What you have here is a correct jack for a 1967, and yes the entire assembly was not painted.  The screw and washers would not be painted.

Ok, Ill just assume it got a repaint somewhere along the line.   
Steve
1967 Pebble Beige  I6 Coupe built in Metuchen on Oct 26, 1966.
2009 Black GT Coupe

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2012, 07:35:16 PM »
Actually the coarse threads are only specfic to one vendor and was used all during these years.  I have plenty of examples that show both fine and coarse with date code stamps for 1967.
Marcus, all I am sure about is that it is confusing  :o . I don't think all were date stamped. I just got finished examining about 10 examples and only 3 out of the ten are date stamped. The ones that were date stamped were deep and pronounced . No particular pattern on style of jack .  I couldn't find any faint date stampings on the ones painted or stripped of paint.  I haven't come across a date stamped San Jose jack yet but maybe there were way less of them? All of the ones I have found in cars that were date coded seem to come from the Dearborn plant cars and a few NJ cars . Even the Dearborn and Metuchen plants it appears didn't always get date stamped it seems IMHO. I only doubt all came date stamped because of the lack of frequency of finding a date coded example compared to a non date coded one .In my area in the Midwest we see many more parts and cars that come from the east then the west.I did notice 5 different versions (there may be more!)  As I was checking the short and the long jacks style (early /late) out for date stamps I also noticed besides the coarse and Fine threads and the different style of screw/nut brackets  I noticed 4 different "W" tops NOT including the 71 style notched top which I never collect.  I sure hope you can make some sense of it .I am looking forward to your findings.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2012, 07:36:18 PM »
Ok, Ill just assume it got a repaint somewhere along the line.
That is a safe bet IMHO.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

• Anghel Restorations
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2012, 10:30:34 PM »

Bob....actually its pretty simple once I lay it all out with pictures and drawings I have.  I will be sharing that with everyone very soon.  There was two basic designs that Ford used (with some varations) for the Mustang jacks from 64.5 to mid 1970.  And three vendors supplied jacks....but all three were from the Detroit area so there is no such thing as a San Jose, Dearborn or Metuchen jack.  The suppliers shipped to all three productions facilities and I have that confirmed from speaking with people who worked there during that time and still work in that industry today. 
Date codes started in January 1967.
In your first picture "Mustang jack 1" there is 5 jacks shown.  The two on the right (or on top - looking at the picture the way it is) are early jacks that were used for the 64.5/65/66 model years.  You wil notice they also have shorter arms.  The other three jacks are 67-70 style and should have a date code.  Sometimes the date code is very faint and sometimes they are even on the insides of the arms.  The exceptions would be anything before Jan 1967.  If you look hard enough you should find it.

Here is a March 67 jack (to stay consistent with this thread) and showing where the stamping would be and somtimes very faint and hard to see.  See if this helps you find them...

Marcus Anghel

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2012, 12:14:37 AM »
Marcus what about the 4 different design perches on top ? What is that about .The picture I posted of the 4 was to show the different varieties of tops . The picture of the 5 was to show 5 distinct different versions that I had in my shop .There may be more ! I am not sure that is just what I had laying around. One long and one short jack in the 5 picture were similar just different time period styles. I am aware of the short for the early and longer of the 67-70 as I indicated in my previous thread .This issue is confusing but I am not new to this  ;) .   Marcus I am sorry to have to say I looked on the inside and outside on the jack arms today after reading your observation and could only find 3 out of 10 jacks that had date codes among a variety of styles . I had a couple that I had already paint stripped . They did not have any date codes inside or outside that I could see and I was looking for faint stamps. I am skeptical that they are so faint that I am overlooking them.  The ones I have are not as pitted as the picture you showed so I know the stamps were not obliterated by any pitting because there was none. I am not trying to disagree on purpose it is just that there is evidence or lack of evidence for not all to have a date stamp based on the small sampling I have in my shop and many others that I have seen over the years. I find it hard to believe I would have that many anomolies in one place. Besides I have looked at other jacks at swap meets and the like for date codes and I found way more that didn't have a apparent date code then ones that did. I can't believe I am the only one that has noticed this.  The reference of Dearborn and Metuchen jacks was for the purpose of identifying the cars in which I have found jacks with date code stamps . If my theory is correct and they were not all date stamped the cars that the jacks came out of may indicate a supply of different types to those plants by the manufacturer in that area . Just like Modine supplied different constructed radiators to Dearborn vs San Jose  from different Modine mfg plants ;) . Just some more information ,theories and opinion for the discussion. Others my have different views. 

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2012, 12:33:56 AM »
Interesting discussion. Just another of those cases of the more you find out the less you know? Marty

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2012, 01:11:28 AM »
I got to reading all this "jack stuff" so I pulled the one in my to be done pile and did a bit of closer inspection. This one came from a collection of 65 and 66 parts so it's almost off topic. There does not to appear to be a date code stamp like the one Marcus has but it does have the paper instruction label, faded to nothing. It does have a tiny bit paint on the teflon washer and possibly some on the drive screw. The configuration is a combination of the top and bottom jacks in Bob's first picture, the drive screw ends are like the bottom jack into a block, the saddle is like the top jack, just a dip. What caught my eye is the drive screw. It is a double square cut thread - get that, double cut thread. If somebody is ambitious, would they check theirs for this type of thread. I used a black Sharpie felt tip pen placed on a thread and turned the drive screw a couple of full turns. It skips a thread.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Brant

• Virginia Classic Mustang Inc
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2012, 12:38:32 PM »
I certainly respect the great research that Marcus has done concerning the jack assemblies, but I sure have seen quite a few that were completely painted black (including the adjusting bolt and nut).  These were all original jacks with the decal in place and absolutely no evidence of a repaint.

Offline specialed

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2012, 01:21:53 PM »
Marcus what about the jack handle that goes with jack as they need to stay together as i have seen 5 versions & have been trying to doc this over the years from unmolested original cars & i think it is an assembly plant issue as every dearborn car i seen has fine thread 69-70 anyway & 68 69 70 nj cars coarse thread from what i seen.

Offline krelboyne

• West Coast Classic Cougars
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2012, 01:27:02 PM »
This is a great project, I have access to jacks 1967-73. Let me know how I can contribute.
Scott Behncke - Carcheaologist
West Coast Classic Cougars
503-463-1130
1968 GT/CS 302-4V San Jose 05B
1968 Cougar XR7 Dearborn 09A