Author Topic: Jacks - General Discussion Across 64-73  (Read 22958 times)

Offline JohnB

• 0F03R120303
Re: Jacks - General Discussion Across 64-73
« Reply #60 on: April 11, 2021, 07:38:05 PM »
i have a question was the jack that came  from the supplier dipped or spray painted  ?  Iam thinking dipped  but what do i know. Mark

Information here; http://anghelrestorations.com/uploads/3/5/1/2/35122002/mustang_jack_identification_guide_v1.3.pdf

Offline Ralf

• http://mustang-cabrio-67.jimdo.com/
« Reply #61 on: April 28, 2022, 01:51:37 PM »
To take this up.
Could anyone tell me what jack and wrench for which date I got here?
I assume later 67, may be even 68?, no date code on it, but I and 1 stamped. Indiana.

And which year shows the second pic?
RH stamped, no date code on.

Found pic 3 from Anghel Resto.
Which one would be the correct jack for my car 66 Nov?
Thank you.
Ralf
« Last Edit: April 28, 2022, 04:19:34 PM by Ralf »
1967 Convertible 289, C4 Automatic, Built Nov 30 1966, SJ, DSO75.

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #62 on: April 28, 2022, 04:08:52 PM »
5F09C331248

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #63 on: April 28, 2022, 04:18:45 PM »
To take this up.
Could anyone tell me what jack and wrench for which date I got here?
I assume later 67, may be even 68?, no date code on it, but I and 1 stamped. Indiana.

And which year shows the second pic?
RH stamped, no date code on.
Thank you.
Ralf
Upper picture Jack handle with a hole in the middle is 68 up.The jack is a typical SJ 67-70 jack. The lower picture bell shaped lug wrench without a hole in the handle is 67 production. The jack in that picture is the typical Metuchen and Dearborn 67-70 style. Unlike what some believe not all jacks came date code marked. It only takes one without a date code to prove that line of thought incorrect. There are more jacks without date goods then ones with date codes from my point of view based on what I have seen.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Ralf

« Reply #64 on: April 28, 2022, 04:33:37 PM »
Thank you.
Could you verify on pic 3 vs my car built date, pls?

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #65 on: April 28, 2022, 05:35:35 PM »
Thank you.
Could you verify on pic 3 vs my car built date, pls?
Of the pictures that you posted you want the jack from the top picture (SJ style jack with "U" shape trunnion) and the handle from the bottom picture lug wrench with out hole in the center (67 style).
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Ralf

« Reply #66 on: April 29, 2022, 04:49:55 AM »
Thank you.

Attached 2 pics.

The first set should be correct for my car Nov. 30, 66

The second set should be 67.

Could you confirm?

Thanks Ralf

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #67 on: April 29, 2022, 11:58:40 AM »
Thank you.

Attached 2 pics.

The first set should be correct for my car Nov. 30, 66

The second set should be 67.

Could you confirm?

Thanks Ralf
Now since you switched jacks around the first set has a proper SJ jack with a 67 handle.

Offline Ralf

« Reply #68 on: April 29, 2022, 02:06:15 PM »
Perfect.
Big hand to all helped. :)
I was not aware that jacks and handles can be such tricky to sort out.

Offline Anghelrestorations

• Anghel Restorations
« Reply #69 on: March 09, 2023, 01:40:42 AM »
NOTE: the following few posts were separated from wanted request in that section of the site and merged with this thread to keep related discussions together and easier for others later searching for information, to find

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
No such thing as a NJ , Dearborn, or San Jose jack.  This has been an ongoing old wives tail for years that keeps getting passed around.  There was three different suppliers that shipped to all factories.  Ideally you just need a Mustang jack with a correct date code.  I would check Ebay.

https://anghelrestorations.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/09/quick_guide_-_mustang_jacks.pdf

« Last Edit: March 10, 2023, 04:03:08 PM by J_Speegle »
Marcus Anghel
MCA National Gold Card Judge, 69-71 Mustang
SAAC National Head Judge, Boss Mustangs

www.anghelrestorations.com
www.facebook.com/anghelrestorations
www.instagram.com/anghelrestorations

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #70 on: March 09, 2023, 12:58:05 PM »
No such thing as a NJ , Dearborn, or San Jose jack.  This has been an ongoing old wives tail for years that keeps getting passed around.  There was three different suppliers that shipped to all factories.  Ideally you just need a Mustang jack with a correct date code.  I would check Ebay.

https://anghelrestorations.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/09/quick_guide_-_mustang_jacks.pdf
  So are you saying that there was not a prevalent style jack that were used at specific assemblyly plants ?  Are you suggesting that all 67-70 jacks have date codes?

• Anghel Restorations
« Reply #71 on: March 10, 2023, 01:29:45 AM »
Bob....yes that is exactly what I am saying.  Exactly.  Too many times we are on a show field and I hear that a certain car should have a "Dearborn jack" or it must have a coarse thread jack and all of that doesnt add up.
There are certain style jacks for certain years, and there was multiple vendors supplying these.
As for date codes seems they started in 1967 and alot of them have date codes but we all have seen enough examples out there that do not have any date codes. 
Marcus Anghel

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #72 on: March 10, 2023, 02:58:58 PM »
Bob....yes that is exactly what I am saying.  Exactly.  Too many times we are on a show field and I hear that a certain car should have a "Dearborn jack" or it must have a coarse thread jack and all of that doesnt add up.
There are certain style jacks for certain years, and there was multiple vendors supplying these.
As for date codes seems they started in 1967 and alot of them have date codes but we all have seen enough examples out there that do not have any date codes.
Marcus,based on your comments I suppose your past article statements on jack dates that leave no room for anything but a dated jack need to be clarified/modified . By the same token I respectfully disagree with your usage theory . The fine thread/course thread is not me. Although you can say that there are examples of various jacks being used regardless of plants I have found predominate style jacks form a pattern of usage at certain assemblyline plants more so then others . I am surprised that you have not noticed the patterns. There are other examples of certain styles of parts being used at various plants but patterns of those same parts being predominate used at specific plants over others. Tie down brackets style is just another example that comes to mind.  My interest are specifically Shelby's but those cars started out as Mustangs . With that said  I have been studying these patterns for almost 40 years and during that time I have inspected a large number of survivor type Shelby's.  The many cars that I have studied helped me see a distinct "pattern" as it relates to the jacks .  I do not use the word "all" but have indeed seen enough that a distinct pattern became apparent . I could not ignore what I was seeing in this respect but that is just me. I think your article on the jack subject is excellent but needs a few small tweeks to make it more accurate.  I would suggest in the least confrontational way that you keep a more open mind on this subject. I have shared my knowledge with you when you have asked me and apparently trusted so I would like you giving me the benefit of the doubt in this case for my point of view.  We can also agree to disagree . Regardless I will continue to advise my opinion based on what I have seen along with info shared by others until the evidence suggest otherwise. 

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #73 on: March 10, 2023, 03:52:12 PM »

One general comment. We have plenty of examples where there were multiple suppliers (Henry hated the thought that one vendor could hold his company and production hostage) but in most if not all examples certain suppliers were contracted to supply specific plants and not others. This may have been based on how fast the parts could reach the specific plant due to distance and other variables. We have examples of shocks and firewall pads just to name two. Yes there are times when a shipment (apparently often a single shipment as we're discovering) was routed to a non-typical assembly plant to fill a need but these tend to stand out once you compare build dates on examples they are found on.

Can't imagine that the suppliers of jacks would be treated any different than other suppliers or different practices applied by Ford and their divisions . Think I'll move part of this discussion to a different thread since we have gotten well off the original focus of this thread and the OPs need to find one. ;)

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

• Anghel Restorations
« Reply #74 on: March 10, 2023, 10:00:50 PM »
Bob/Jeff,  All good points here.  Ill make a few comments:

On the jack date codes I took a quick look at what I wrote (its been 10 years) and can probably be revised.  From what I know and understand now the Ausco jacks do not have date codes.  If you check on your side and look at all the jacks with the "A" stamping for Ausco they will not have date codes.  The other two typically did.  So we can say "most" jacks are date coded from 67 onwards, but not all. 

The jack manufacturers themselves were all roughly in the Michigan area.  From there they would ship the jacks to the different production facilities.  What I would say is possible is that for low production (as compared to normal Mustang production) cars like a Shelby assembled in CA they may have had one supplier ship the jacks directly there or supplied for those cars.  Maybe why you see one style jack being used. 

But for sure as a general rule for Mustang production we cant say Dearborn only used one style, San Jose only used one style, and Metuchen only used one style.  Thats just not correct.

Make sense?
Marcus Anghel