Author Topic: Altering a Door Data Plate question...  (Read 9054 times)

Offline Paperback Writer

Altering a Door Data Plate question...
« on: September 20, 2012, 07:16:52 PM »
I’ve been seriously considering doing a color change on my ’67 convertible – from the original Burnt Amber (V) to Nightmist Blue (K) – and a couple of people have suggested that I should get a new door data plate created with the “K” color code on it once the car is finished.  That way, the door plate will match the new color, and the car will be “correct” at shows…

I’m not sure I totally agree with this – as it seems sort of dishonest to try to pass the car off as something it never was.  Then again, wouldn’t I be doing that already just by changing the color?  I would certainly be upfront about this issue if I ever decided to sell the car - and since this is a ’67, a Marti report will always show the “true colors” of the car for future owners anyway...

Not trying to start any arguments here, but I’d like to hear the honest opinions (both for and against) from others on this forum – particularly current and past MCA judges. 

Is it standard practice in the Mustang restoration hobby/business to change the color code on the door data plate to match a new paint color?
1967 390 GTA Convertible
7R03S110###
76B - V - 6U - 30J - 72 - 1 - U
(Actually built on 9/22/1966 - Eight days ahead of schedule)

Offline Laurie S.

• Trouble
  • Global Moderator
    • My 1968 Mustangs
Re: Altering a Door Data Plate question...
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2012, 07:53:53 PM »
Personally, I think it's unethical.  Furthermore, you may disclose the change, but the next owner might not.

Murphy, 1968 Coupe - Concours, Original Owner
Trouble, 1968 Fastback - Modified

MCA Gold Card Judge, 67-68 Concours
MCA Gold Card Judge, Modified - All Years

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2012, 09:06:09 PM »
I don't believe it would be considered standard practice.

Personally, I would not do it, but don't believe it is my business if someone chooses to change plate codes.  For MCA judging, so long as the plate matches the car, it is accepted.  In T-bred and Unrestored, the original tag is expected or a potentially big deduction is appropriate.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2012, 09:39:44 PM »
[quote author=Paperback Writer link=topic=5296.msg29642#msg29642 date=1348179412

I’m not sure I totally agree with this – as it seems sort of dishonest to try to pass the car off as something it never was. 

That's my feeling exactly.  It would be dishonest and deceptive.  Brian
5RO9A GT  4 Spd Built 5/29/65
9TO2R SCJ 4 Spd Built 9/19/68
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline krelboyne

• West Coast Classic Cougars
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2012, 10:52:32 PM »
I would not alter the door tag either. Most casual car show people never see the door tags unless the door is left open for display. Plus how many Mustang owners know all of the paint and trim codes?

Most folks display the Marti Report with cars, that is a big tell.
Scott Behncke - Carcheaologist
West Coast Classic Cougars
503-463-1130
1968 GT/CS 302-4V San Jose 05B
1968 Cougar XR7 Dearborn 09A

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2012, 10:54:22 PM »
I spoke with Kevin Marti about my concerns of people having him make new tags to aline with the changes that they have made on their cars. He said that the MCA has never had any position on this. First I find that hard to believe and second I think it certainly is time the MCA formally let him our thought on this!
Or we may never see another lime gold car again.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2012, 10:59:16 PM »
.................. and second I think it certainly is time the MCA formally let him our thought on this!

Wrong site ;)   and not sure "MCA" is all on board with that since we've allowed reproduction tags for ever, don't require a Marti reports where available ......Not that there have not been discussions related to both before

Think the discussion needs to take place in that house. (not the web  site  though - since there is such a SMALL amount of participation there)

Just an opinion  ::)
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 11:01:22 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2012, 09:15:51 AM »
Wrong site ;)   and not sure "MCA" is all on board with that since we've allowed reproduction tags for ever, don't require a Marti reports where available ......Not that there have not been discussions related to both before

Think the discussion needs to take place in that house. (not the web  site  though - since there is such a SMALL amount of participation there)

Just an opinion  ::)

Sorry you are correct, not the place. Suffice it to say I feel strongly that most cars and epically cars that are presented in concourse classes should not have modified data tags

Offline MattDoscher

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2012, 11:33:58 AM »
My '65 coupe used to have a door tag from a '65 convertible which meant at some point in it's life the drivers door had been replaced and the original door tag was not swapped over w/ the replacement door.  Obviously the '65 convertible tag info was not correct so I had a replacement door tag made to reflect the original exterior color, body, axle, trans, and VIN.  I had to use best guesses when it came to DSO, trim, and date.  My mustang has since been fully restored w/ an exterior color change and trim change but I did not update the door tag to reflect these changes.  I will always know what the original color was and just a best guess on the trim.  I think in cases like this where the drivers door has been replaced and the door tag does not match then it's perfectly ok to get a replacement door tag made.
Matt Doscher

1965 Mercury Comet Caliente Convertible
5H25T582252

Offline BigB427

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2012, 04:29:55 PM »
I agree with all the posts on not doing this sort of thing completely.  There is absolutely no reason to do it.

One thing you want to keep in mind is that if you were to go ahead and install a different VIN tag with everything the same except for the body color code and do decide to sell the car, you are going to be pretty much screwed if someone wants to accuse you of misrepresenting the car and suing for fraud after you sign the title over to them!
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 06:59:13 PM by BigB427 »
Formerly 69 Mach 1 428SCJ w/ 4:30 gears, 69 GT 500 convertible #0018, 69 Boss 429 KK1599, 67 GT500 #0784, and a few others

Offline Laurie S.

• Trouble
  • Global Moderator
    • My 1968 Mustangs
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2012, 10:04:30 PM »
To be really harsh, what is the purpose of altering a door tag to match a changed car?  I see it as a way to deceive others, especially judges.  And, if I were judging a car in concours where I knew by whatever means, that the codes had been changed on an obviously new data plate, there would be a lot more points taken off. 

I changed the paint on my 68 fastback--and a whole lot of other stuff, too!  But, it will be shown in the trailered modified class.  I had to get a new data plate made for the car because the previous owner had unsuccessfully torched the car for insurance money.  Nothing on the car is the same as the original plate except for the factory of manufacture, yet I replicated the original data plate code for code.

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2012, 04:39:01 PM »
I had to get a new data plate made for the car because the previous owner had unsuccessfully torched the car for insurance money. 

Not to hijack the thread, but what's the story there?!  And how did you find out about it?  That's pretty interesting!
Too much junk, too little time.

Offline Laurie S.

• Trouble
  • Global Moderator
    • My 1968 Mustangs
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2012, 06:28:24 PM »
I have all the police reports on the car.  It's actually the owner previous to the person I bought the car from who torched it.  My friend had other problems with the car and wanted to sell it just when I wanted to buy a 68 fastback to modify.  Here's what it looked like when he got it:

www.tucsonpony.com/Trouble.html

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2012, 05:06:46 PM »
I have all the police reports on the car.  It's actually the owner previous to the person I bought the car from who torched it.  My friend had other problems with the car and wanted to sell it just when I wanted to buy a 68 fastback to modify. 
www.tucsonpony.com/Trouble.html

Thanks--that's quite a history your car has!  It's beautiful now!
Too much junk, too little time.

Offline Paperback Writer

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2012, 05:40:18 PM »
Thank you all for your feedback!
I'll definitely be leaving the data plate alone...
1967 390 GTA Convertible
7R03S110###
76B - V - 6U - 30J - 72 - 1 - U
(Actually built on 9/22/1966 - Eight days ahead of schedule)