Author Topic: Wondering if anyone needs undercarriage pictures from a 1970 boss 302?  (Read 5296 times)

Offline myfyn69

Hello my name is James and I'm restoring my Grandpa's 1970 Boss 302 Mustang. The VIN number is OR02F135443. It has most everything from the factory still on it minus the paint. It has been media blasted and is now on my rotisserie. I was wondering if anyone needed pictures of the undercarriage or trunk area or the engine bay or anything else before we blast the bottom and replace the rusted out floors. I can wait a day or two before starting on it. We are going to try to make it as close to concourse as possible but it's getting hard for him to drive so we're going to add power steering from a period correct 1970. If anyone knows the best new but factory correct kit we can put on it I'd love to have that information. He also had the exhaust redone years ago. He ordered the car from the dealer in 1970 in the Vermilion orange with orange interior. I also have pictures of the stripe kit that was on it which did not say 302 but rather two lines running down the sides. All in all I have been reading pages and pages on this site and love the information I found, and with that in mind I figured I could put out there any info one would need before the car was restored. Thanks for everyone's time.

From what I found online this is where it was built.
 Year:    0    1970
Plant:    R    San Jose, CA
Body Series:    02    SportsRoof
Engine:    F    302 2v V8
Unit:    135443    135443 
3 speed manual transmission.
1970 Boss 302.

Offline Dads Boss

Re: Wondering if anyone needs undercarriage pictures from a 1970 boss 302?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2012, 03:40:37 PM »
I would be interested, except the VIN you stated is not for a 70 Boss 302???

Offline myfyn69

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2012, 05:25:42 PM »
That's the numbers on the vin plate. He told me it's a boss 302 maybe it's really not? i know it was suppose to come with the 4 barrel carb but he special ordered it with a 2 for fuel mileage. that would explain why it's not a boss stripe as well. I'll get it flipped over and get some pictures of all the bottom. Is there certain areas that would be best to get high detail shots? Thanks again James
1970 Boss 302.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2012, 11:10:51 PM »
That's the numbers on the vin plate. He told me it's a boss 302 maybe it's really not? i know it was suppose to come with the 4 barrel carb but he special ordered it with a 2 for fuel mileage. that would explain why it's not a boss stripe as well.

Not unusual for owners to make this mistake. As mentioned wrong assembly plant (yours was built at San Jose and all Boss's that year were built at one of the other two plants)  as well as the engine code

I'll get it flipped over and get some pictures of all the bottom. Is there certain areas that would be best to get high detail shots? Thanks again James

Your welcome to post them in a thread in the 69-70 Mustang section below. Please remember to include at least the VIN in the post so that people can compare details to like cars (built same time, same equipment and assembly plant)

Sure some would be interested in the vapor return system, valves and hoses

Thanks
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline rockhouse66

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2012, 08:26:09 AM »
You should be taking LOTS of pictures for your own use when putting the car back together, so it would be nice if you shared some of them - especially any area of the car that you know to be 100% original.
Jim
'66 GT FB

Offline myfyn69

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2012, 12:43:44 PM »
I don't mind sharing pictures I just don't want to over post pictures or ones that won't help others. the good thing is besides the fuel pump, exhaust, tires/wheels and paint on the body, everything is from 1970. I will get some together in the next few days and get them up in that 1970 section thanks again.
1970 Boss 302.

Offline svo2scj

• Car Collector and home to WHEEL CITY FAIRLANE
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2012, 01:32:53 PM »
Kind of cool that YOU are working on (family) Grandpa's car !  Neat thing is that you do have family photos and history.

As with any repair/restoration - assess what you want, your ability and your money then make the plan.  WE have all learned that it takes 2X's the time and often more than 2X's the money to get things finished.

If the car is complete and running - 100% disassembly might not be the best thing (depending on space/tools and prior experience.   If "looks" are more important than perfectly working items - paint and interior maybe the route.
If not running - "getting running" maybe the first thing BEFORE thinking 'lets rebuild the motor".

Probably the best thing you have (that WE didn't 15 years ago) is Google !!   Using Google for both photo searches and searching sites dedicated to Mustangs will be your biggest aid - other than forums like this !

Mark

P.S. It is nice that you offered YOUR effort (to take photos) first !   So many join forums, ask questions and "don't put the effort in to the relationship".   It's getting harder and harder to find unrestored  bottoms of cars.   There is a lot to learn under a car - like stamps on mufflers and finishes on hangers   (when not painted black or undercoated with a can)
« Last Edit: October 19, 2012, 01:36:54 PM by svo2scj »
1969 R Code , Sportsroof (non Mach) W Axle
AB , Standard Interior  San Jose built 4/22/1969

Offline myfyn69

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2012, 02:01:34 AM »
It's a cool feeling to know that it will be in the family for a very long time. I have been restoring cars/boats for going on 15 years, this will be my first mustang and first Rotisserie restore. I also have a 1960 Plymouth Roadrunner clone, a 1946 dodge PU which is next to be restored, and a 1955 Chevy PU which is third in line. I Figure it's just now on the rotisserie why not get a bunch of pictures that may help someone someday. the floor has some rust holes that will be fixed and then re-undercoated and the motor/body has about 9000 miles on the clock. The car was parked a long time.

We're not going to open the motor up as she still ran great but will get a fresh coat of paint. I noticed that all the ball-joints and tie-rod ends are getting weak so they will get replaced, then fix the few dents and dings.

As far as the pictures i take, is there a way that is better then another to post them?  Should I just label a post 1970 mustang "before restoration pictures" or do sections like 1970 mustang "undercarriage" and another one "engine bay" I figure i'll post every shot I take and if the moderator or others say something is not 100 percent correct that said person can delete it or I change it?

I'll be honest i'm not  a complete mustang guru so I can't really say what's factory or not. I just have what my grandpa has told me about  the car - though in the not to distant future of this car my buddy wants his 1965 mustang convertible on the rotisserie so i'll be able to do the same with that one. His mom bought the car brand new and has got to where she can't drive anymore and passed it on to him.
1970 Boss 302.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2012, 02:20:04 AM »
It's a cool feeling to know that it will be in the family for a very long time. I have been restoring cars/boats for going on 15 years, this will be my first mustang and first Rotisserie restore. I also have a 1960 Plymouth Roadrunner clone, a 1946 dodge PU which is next to be restored, and a 1955 Chevy PU which is third in line. I Figure it's just now on the rotisserie why not get a bunch of pictures that may help someone someday. the floor has some rust holes that will be fixed and then re-undercoated and the motor/body has about 9000 miles on the clock. The car was parked a long time.

We're not going to open the motor up as she still ran great but will get a fresh coat of paint. I noticed that all the ball-joints and tie-rod ends are getting weak so they will get replaced, then fix the few dents and dings.

As far as the pictures i take, is there a way that is better then another to post them?  Should I just label a post 1970 mustang "before restoration pictures" or do sections like 1970 mustang "undercarriage" and another one "engine bay" I figure i'll post every shot I take and if the moderator or others say something is not 100 percent correct that said person can delete it or I change it?

I'll be honest i'm not  a complete mustang guru so I can't really say what's factory or not. I just have what my grandpa has told me about  the car - though in the not to distant future of this car my buddy wants his 1965 mustang convertible on the rotisserie so i'll be able to do the same with that one. His mom bought the car brand new and has got to where she can't drive anymore and passed it on to him.

Your choice - something like "1970 San Jose F code undercarriage before restoration" or  "1970 Feb Built - San Jose  F code Undercarriage Teardown Pictures"

Just make sure they start with the VIN or at and place it was built in the text

If there is any issues we'll talk and improve the postings ;)
« Last Edit: October 20, 2012, 02:22:43 AM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline myfyn69

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2012, 02:42:22 AM »
Sounds wonderful I have a bunch of pictures ready to go just have to add then to photobucket and ill get them posted. also it may be a day or two out but I can also pull the motor out of the corner and take pictures of that as well. Thanks for all the help everyone I'll add a last reply with the new link to the first post of the new thread just in-case someone is following it as well.
1970 Boss 302.

Offline myfyn69

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2012, 11:58:33 AM »
This may sound weird but is there a special code to post img on the site I have got the post ready to go minus a few things but when  i hit the preview button it just shows the codes and not the pictures from photobucket? wondering if I'm missing something.
I would  like to be able to proof read and make notes below the pictures or whatnot. thanks James.
1970 Boss 302.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2012, 08:07:11 PM »
This may sound weird but is there a special code to post img on the site I have got the post ready to go minus a few things but when  i hit the preview button it just shows the codes and not the pictures from photobucket? wondering if I'm missing something.
I would  like to be able to proof read and make notes below the pictures or whatnot. thanks James.

Nope - use photobucket also (though you can add them to the gallery here and link them)

From photobucket highlight the photo, choose the bottom img info and click it- that will automatically copy it to your clipboard

Write your post with the notations and verbage then paste the img code between the text lines so that the related info (I find placing the notation first works best for me) is in the right spot.  Repeat again and again - then spell check and preview it.

Jeff Speegle

Offline myfyn69

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2012, 08:14:13 PM »
That's what I have done and when I click preview it just shows the text and image text. but no picture. I'll look around the web for a bit tonight and see if I can locate whats going on.
1970 Boss 302.