Author Topic: Looking For Input For Site Library Organization  (Read 1578 times)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Looking For Input For Site Library Organization
« on: December 09, 2012, 08:14:21 PM »
Rearranging the Library section.

Currently the number of Articles, magazine scans, instructions and the like is growing and I would expect them to maybe double in the next four months, so organization of these in important IMHO at this point. Getting ready to add another 6-8 articles so good time to make the alterations.

So the question is - should I organize the one ones that are specifically for one particular year (will keep the How To Do restoration articles together) be organized by year?

65, 66, 67, 68, ........(though the classic years at this point)

or should I put all the period magazine articles and recall information in separate threads to organize them that way?

See allot of sites where the items (components come to mind) are organized with all the battery information (for example is together) but can see justification to go by year since many will be working on only a specific year, it it might be easier to just look at one section. Not really a right or wrong just a choice. Will leave this open for the members for a few days to see if there is an obvious popular preference

Thanks ;)
« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 08:17:42 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline jwc66k

Re: Looking For Input For Site Library Organization
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2012, 09:38:32 PM »
I think by subject then year. Many topics can apply to mutiple years, or at least give some hint as procedure, parts, things to do or avoid, etc.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Pete Bush

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2012, 08:50:01 AM »
Jeff,

The organization of a typical Shop Manual comes to mind.
First, volumes are broken down by year and model. Then there are about 22 divisions by components, such as:brakes, transmission, cooling system, body, etc.
On top of that you also note the plant and build date.
That being said, there's probably enough similarities in 1964.5 - 1966 production to group it together. If you post an article about something pertaining to a 1965, it might apply "somewhat" to 1966 as well. Then there are instances where there are distinct differences between 1965 and 1966.
There may be no "best" solution to this. But since the purpose is to find and readily retrieve information, a grouping similar to the main forum index may be in order. People are already familiar with that structure.
If you choose, you might make it a hierarchical listing and have files nested within files - so searchers can drill down right to the information they're looking for.
'66 6-cylinder Sprint Convertible
Metuchen - Scheduled May 10th; Built June 21st

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2012, 07:51:12 PM »
Thanks guys - keep them coming if you have a suggestion. Likely make a choice this weekend and start that reorganization before I add in the next group of things
Jeff Speegle

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2012, 10:24:50 AM »
Year and component.  Brian
5RO9A GT  4 Spd Built 5/29/65
9TO2R SCJ 4 Spd Built 9/19/68
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline 70Twister

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2012, 08:37:46 PM »
 Year and component.  :)
70Twister
351C Dearborn Build date 10/13/69

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2012, 09:03:31 PM »
Remember (might make no difference to your responses) but this is not so much a year and component thing but information related to one or more years.

For the stuff that spans more than one of many years I guess I could place the same link on every  model year.

Items to consider are as follows (examples)

Things like recalls and service campaigns should likely be placed in the year effected not the year it was published I would guess.

Magazine reprints - not placed in the year published but model year covered in article.  Example was a reader survey (think it was taken in 68 or 69) that surveyed owners of 65-67 Mustangs.

Not always  cut and dry - the reason for the discussion

Also things like "How to tin filler necks" or "how to fake galvanizing" (current articles) would either have to be grouped together or linked in each section.

Just some additional information to consider
Jeff Speegle