Author Topic: Fuel pump casing restoration methods  (Read 3051 times)

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Fuel pump casing restoration methods
« on: April 01, 2013, 11:47:21 AM »
Would like to hear what others have done to restore original screw-together fuel pumps.  I have a big block fuel pump that I've disassembled and will install a rebuild kit.  Was thinking of soaking the parts in carb cleaner.  Didn't want to glass bead and ruin the surface.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline rockhouse66

Re: Fuel pump casing restoration methods
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2013, 11:51:57 AM »
Charles - that's what I do, soak in carb cleaner.  You might also try the Eagle Wire Wheel Cleaner (that I think Bob Gaines has recommended) which is a caustic.  It needs to go on, get brushed quickly and rinsed off ASAP.  Experiment with an unseen area first!
Jim
'66 GT FB

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2013, 11:58:09 AM »
Thanks.  It's a CJ 4441S pump, so obviously want to be very careful with it!

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2013, 08:57:21 PM »
Haven't found any process or product that returns the fresh cast look to aluminum. Tried a dozen products on an alternator case last week. settled for carb cleaner followed by a commercial aluminum cleaner. Finished with the micro fil oil soak to fill the now (from cleaning) open pores of the aluminum

Darken it down the surface color a bit yet it still, IMHO a little light and does not have the slightly gold finish of the new old pieces I have to compare to. But without anything side by side it will likely pass inspection.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline JKWilson

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2013, 09:41:38 PM »
Charles - that's what I do, soak in carb cleaner.  You might also try the Eagle Wire Wheel Cleaner (that I think Bob Gaines has recommended) which is a caustic.  It needs to go on, get brushed quickly and rinsed off ASAP.  Experiment with an unseen area first!

Several cautions on using the Eagle wheel cleaner. As Jim said, it's caustic. Heck, you can tell as soon as you spray it and the odor hits you! Definitely use eye, and skin protection (gloves and face shield at minimum). It does a GREAT job of cleaning bare aluminum. Make sure it's rinsed VERY well afterwards though. I would also suggest spraying with a water/baking soda mixture to neutralize and then another rinse. I have had it cause a white powdery finish after several days/weeks from aluminum oxides forming when it's not thoroughly rinsed.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 10:39:30 AM by JKWilson »
'66 GT Fastback,  Metuchen, 10/28/65, 289-4v w/4spd
'66 Sprint Coupe, Dearborn, 06/11/66, 200ci w/ C4
'91 LX Convertible, Dearborn, 08/91, 5.0 w/AOD
'92 LX Hatchback, Dearborn, 5.0 w/AOD

Offline petersixtfive

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2013, 07:30:38 AM »
Consider vapour blasting
Leaves a factory satin finish
http://www.aquablastcenter.co.uk/
Other sites have similar info
65 SJ GT fastback June 65 Build

Offline Aussiemach

• Silver Level Subscriber
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2013, 10:45:19 AM »
Has anyone tried Evaporust Aluminate ? I use Evaporust for steel, have 200 litres of it. Have not tried the one for aluminium.

http://www.evapo-rust.com.au/Evapo-Rust%20Aluminate%20Brochure%20low%20res.pdf
1969 Mach 1 351w FMX Built in San Jose, February 26 1969

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2013, 11:40:21 AM »
I searched around for evapo-rust aluminate but could only find Australian distributors.  Not sold in the US?

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2013, 02:25:15 PM »
Charles ,I think you will be happy with the look using eagle wire wheel cleaner and a stiff plastic brush to get at any stubborn residue . I don't leave it on long maybe 60 seconds and then rinse and see what i have . I repeat until satisfied. It is somewhat caustic but being a consumer product it isn't overly so but with that said precautions should be observed as mentioned already. I haven't ever had to neutralize the wash  after but have always rinsed generously with water which is maybe why . It certainly wouldn't hurt . I now seal with a light Boeshield coat and have been happy with the results.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2018, 07:28:27 PM »
Does anyone have a product number for the Eagle Wire Wheel Cleaner? I see other Eagle products, but none labeled "Wire Wheel Cleaner"
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline rockhouse66

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2018, 09:53:12 PM »
I think it is Chrome Wheel Cleaner now.
Jim
'66 GT FB

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2018, 10:36:42 PM »
I think it is Chrome Wheel Cleaner now.
+1
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2018, 04:37:42 AM »
Thanks, that was my "guess", where also Amazon takes me to also but wanted to be clear.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments